Today I tried stacking.

Macman

18 hours ago, Rockytime said:

Very nice! I still have not the courage to use spirals. Perhaps I should try some.

Les, I have to agree. I have some but haven't tried them yet. I was wondering, when using the spiral blades, do you not have to turn the wood? Is that the idea? Just feed the wood into the blade from all angles and not have to steer it? So to speak.

With spirals, you move the wood into the blade following the lines without having to make turns with the stock. Excellent for longer pieces that are too long for the throat of the saw.

That said, corners are not as crisp, nor are the cuts compared to flats.

I used spirals for a while, but my DW788 with the Pegas clamps does not do well with spirals. I need to make some adjustments to my clamps which will be after I finish ornaments.

Very nice cutting.  I use spiral blades when I feel they are appropriate.  When I do use them I use the Flying Dutchman 3/0 New Spiral blade, most.  My second favorite one is the 2/0 Pegas spiral.  Both are small blades.  I use them when a board is too long to turn on my saw.  When I can, I turn the board in the direction I am cutting just as I do with a flat blade.  I have better control that way.  In the places the board can't be turned I than cut with all directions with the blade.  I also use the spiral in very delicate work because I can use it sorta like a file and carefully cut/file wood away.  They are also very good for "veining" because they make a little wider kerf than a flat blade.

To me they are another tool.  They have their place and it is well worth it to me, to be able to use them.  Takes a little practice, is all.

7 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

Very nice cutting.  I use spiral blades when I feel they are appropriate.  When I do use them I use the Flying Dutchman 3/0 New Spiral blade, most.  My second favorite one is the 2/0 Pegas spiral.  Both are small blades.  I use them when a board is too long to turn on my saw.  When I can, I turn the board in the direction I am cutting just as I do with a flat blade.  I have better control that way.  In the places the board can't be turned I than cut with all directions with the blade.  I also use the spiral in very delicate work because I can use it sorta like a file and carefully cut/file wood away.  They are also very good for "veining" because they make a little wider kerf than a flat blade.

To me they are another tool.  They have their place and it is well worth it to me, to be able to use them.  Takes a little practice, is all.

+1

Pretty much my sentiments, exactly.  I typically use FD 2/0 & 3/0 New Spirals.  The 3/0 are really small and fragile, but are ideal for very fine detail.

I also turn the board, selectively.  It's always more natural to cut when feeding the board directly into the blade, so on critical cuts, I try to spin the board so that I'm pushing from the front, if possible.  I generally try to avoid cutting while pulling the board directly towards me.  I feel this is the most difficult to control and on some blade clamps, the most likely to make the blade pop out.  These aren't hard & fast rules.  I'll cut in any direction, if the pattern warrants it.  I just try to be selective and make use of the best combination of the blade's capabilities, the pattern's requirements and my comfort level.