My first flag

flarud

3 hours ago, RabidAlien said:

Very nice!!! I never could get my paint to "weather" like that.  Did you use water-based paint?  I think mine was an outdoor oil-based paint.  I always sprayed the stars.

The red and blue both are water based stain.  Initially I didn't burn the Union area but it was too clean and bright compared to the stripes.  So I went back and lightly burned it after the stars were on.  I burned the red stripes before the stain.   

Edited by flarud

3 hours ago, Rockytime said:

That is one terrific flag you've made. I have no such artistic abilities. How sad for me.

Thank you,, I wouldn't say that I have any artistic abilities either.  LOL

That reminds me of a question always asked in a PBS show that I have seen a few times.  It's called A Craftsman's Legacy.  The host always ask the person that he is working with on each episode if they thought they were more of a Craftsman or an Artist.  Myself, I'm just a "tinkerer".  

Well done!

If this was my project, I would use a spar urethane but, thin it down by up to 50% with mineral spirits or paint thinner.
I happened to find this thread about a simple way to apply the finish that may help you also.

https://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/articles/a-better-way-to-apply-spar-urethane/

The polyurethane  may amber over time but, since your project has a weathered look, I don't think it will matter at all.
Also, since the poly is thinned down so much, I don't think the amber will be as noticeable either.

Thanks for sharing and God Bless! Spirithorse

Edited by spirithorse
additional info

7 hours ago, heppnerguy said:

A wonderful rendition of our flag. I love the way you used the burn technique to add to it's character. Two thumbs up on this one

Dick

heppnerguy

Thank you sir!  Started on a Pittsburgh Steelers flag for a co-worker today.  I know that flags can be a touchy subject for some, I have one tattooed on my arm.  I'm not a fan of the Steelers, but I do love the $100 that he is giving me to make it!

7 hours ago, flarud said:

Thank you sir!  Started on a Pittsburgh Steelers flag for a co-worker today.  I know that flags can be a touchy subject for some, I have one tattooed on my arm.  I'm not a fan of the Steelers, but I do love the $100 that he is giving me to make it!

First:

GREAT job on the American flag.

Second:

If you can get a Steelers fan to get in their OWN pocket--do it!

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 5:00 PM, spirithorse said:

Well done!

If this was my project, I would use a spar urethane but, thin it down by up to 50% with mineral spirits or paint thinner.
I happened to find this thread about a simple way to apply the finish that may help you also.

https://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/articles/a-better-way-to-apply-spar-urethane/

The polyurethane  may amber over time but, since your project has a weathered look, I don't think it will matter at all.
Also, since the poly is thinned down so much, I don't think the amber will be as noticeable either.

Thanks for sharing and God Bless! Spirithorse

thanks for posting the link. I have saved it and will read it when I get a chance. Looks like some good info there

Dick

heppnerguy