Big funny looking guy learning to scroll, and work on machines...lol

PhotoWhit

Well I'm semi retired and wanting to stay busy. Scrolling seemed like and interesting thing to try my hand at....

I've done some other odds and end of wood craft, but nothing this challenging, Shape signs from fence boards and pallet wood.

It started with a Craftsman middle of the road saw and quickly realized I'd like a quieter saw with less vibration. I've recently purchased a "Total Saw" 21" which is a PS Wood saw (or Sakura by an earlier name) It's a very nice quiet saw with seriously tiny vibrations! I need to clean it up a bit, put on a new rubber belt (it's a belt driven saw...). I might also want to add the more current "toolless" chuck on it.

I've also, for no good reason, picked up a 26" older saw for $20, running, but needing  a bit of help.

Welcome from Southern Arizona. One of the most important things you will want for success in scrolling are the right blades. the big box stores do not carry the ones you need for scrolling. If you do not know what I am talking about or  where to buy the right blades, just ask and you will get several sources to use

Dick

heppnerguy

On 12/12/2018 at 5:39 PM, PhotoWhit said:

Well I'm semi retired and wanting to stay busy. Scrolling seemed like and interesting thing to try my hand at....

I've done some other odds and end of wood craft, but nothing this challenging, Shape signs from fence boards and pallet wood.

It started with a Craftsman middle of the road saw and quickly realized I'd like a quieter saw with less vibration. I've recently purchased a "Total Saw" 21" which is a PS Wood saw (or Sakura by an earlier name) It's a very nice quiet saw with seriously tiny vibrations! I need to clean it up a bit, put on a new rubber belt (it's a belt driven saw...). I might also want to add the more current "toolless" chuck on it.

I've also, for no good reason, picked up a 26" older saw for $20, running, but needing  a bit of help.

Harbor freight has a 12 volt big throat saw around that size.what brand is your 26"er? Welcome friend!! Keep coming back.

34 minutes ago, amazingkevin said:

Harbor freight has a 12 volt big throat saw around that size.what brand is your 26"er? Welcome friend!! Keep coming back.

Interesting, I now have both a PS Wood 21" and a DeWalt 788, I hope I can work with these very good saws. It's interesting you mention a 12 volt saw though. I live on Solar electric! I know some who have smaller 12 volt systems who try to run everything on 12 volt. I'll add this bit of info for reference.

Not sure what type of saw the 26" is, it was just an impulse buy. it needs an insert, I haven't checked to see if it's the same size as my Craftsman. Likely something that will live in my old vinyl garage until I have a sale looking for another impulse buyer...lol.

So I posted a chess pattern I'm working on, I don't think it's gotten many looks. I don't know if there is a way to see the number of times a post has been seen in this form.

Really looking for any opinions. It's a bit long winded, but it's a set paying homage to the Austin Cox aluminum chess sets from the 60's.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be glad to listen to them. Here's a link.

http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/forums/topic/31923-im-working-on-a-simplified-chess-pattern-based-loosly-on-a-mid-centrury-modern-looking-for-opinions-and-ideas-on-the-knight

Edited by PhotoWhit
make a link, a link...