I've been lurking for a while

neal560sl

I have been lurking on this site on occasion for a while now, trying to learn about different saws and patterns.  I live in Shoreham Vermont and retired almost 5 years ago and about a month before Christmas I have been making my grand children ornaments for Christmas each year.  I started out with the jigsaw on my Shopsmith, then bought a used Delta 40-560 2 speed saw at a yard sale and used that for the past 3 years.  This summer I saw a Delta 40-540 variable speed saw for sale on craigslist for $50 so thought it would be nice to have variable speed.  Well my wife has been selling ornaments as fast as I make them and I said I guess I can afford a new saw.  So I bought a Delta 40-964 and love it.  I am very anxious to try and learn how to make my own patterns, so will be trying to get hints from anyone on this site if I can.  Sadly I only scroll just before Christmas each year.

Welcome to the Village from East TN.  Glad you came out of lurkdom and introduced yourself.  Since you have retired, why are you only scrolling at this time of year to do the Christmas ornaments?  Just curious. 🙂 You are right though, if you want to learn to use the program and the saw beyond the basics, and not having to relearn it each year at this time - you need to spend some time each week learning and doing.  Hopefully you can find some time to do so and participate here as well.

Marg, I have thought of trying to scroll through the summer months, but we spend a lot of time with the grand children and the next time I know it's fall.  Winter months are out for me as I am unable to heat my shop.  The other thing I've found is, what I think will sell doesn't, so I do 90% of purchases are cut to order.

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:30 AM, neal560sl said:

Marg, I have thought of trying to scroll through the summer months, but we spend a lot of time with the grand children and the next time I know it's fall.  Winter months are out for me as I am unable to heat my shop.  The other thing I've found is, what I think will sell doesn't, so I do 90% of purchases are cut to order.

I found out the same thing about what I think will sell and it sits. every once in awhile I throw in a pattern I think no one will like and I end of selling them almost before I post them. What a lesson learned there for both of us.

Welcome to The Village, be careful here as everyone is so nice and it is difficult to stay away once you start knowing everyone. 

Dick

heppnerguy

On 12/13/2018 at 8:40 AM, neal560sl said:

I have been lurking on this site on occasion for a while now, trying to learn about different saws and patterns.  I live in Shoreham Vermont and retired almost 5 years ago and about a month before Christmas I have been making my grand children ornaments for Christmas each year.  I started out with the jigsaw on my Shopsmith, then bought a used Delta 40-560 2 speed saw at a yard sale and used that for the past 3 years.  This summer I saw a Delta 40-540 variable speed saw for sale on craigslist for $50 so thought it would be nice to have variable speed.  Well my wife has been selling ornaments as fast as I make them and I said I guess I can afford a new saw.  So I bought a Delta 40-964 and love it.  I am very anxious to try and learn how to make my own patterns, so will be trying to get hints from anyone on this site if I can.  Sadly I only scroll just before Christmas each year.

Look no further .our leader has all you need right here to make patternshttp://www.scrollsawvillage.com/forums/forum/44-pattern-making/