Cutting 1/8" Luan

Slick Willy

Be careful when cutting cheap luan. I got hold of some throw away stuff when I first started scrolling. I wasn't using a mask and I breathed in the fine dust from it. I don't know what was in that wood but I had a terrible allergic reaction to it. I tossed it all in the dumpster. 

Thanks folks. I just learned a hard lesson. I took my speed down to 2 and everything was going fine as I was doing some wing detail on a hummingbird when I caught something and it snapped the top of the wing off. Two and a half hours of work lost...non-repairable. No more luan! Time to get some premium wood.

I use to get wood paneling if anyone remembers what paneling was.😀 Home Depot use to discount broken and damaged sheets. I use to buy all they had and that stuff was used for everything including protecting my floors when I was redoing some rooms in the house. I do not even know if they still sell wood paneling. Everything today is fiberboard. 

3 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

I use to get wood paneling if anyone remembers what paneling was.😀 Home Depot use to discount broken and damaged sheets. I use to buy all they had and that stuff was used for everything including protecting my floors when I was redoing some rooms in the house. I do not even know if they still sell wood paneling. Everything today is fiberboard. 

I too was wondering about wood paneling. I want to cover the walls of my shop and thought it would be cheaper than the heavy white pegboard. 

One thing to be cautious about, with Luan or wood paneling, check the core of the sheet.  Many times these products have some sort of foam or pressed wood/glue type core, covered with a thin ply of wood veneer on the top & bottom.  They aren't alternating layers of wood ply, like Baltic birch or cabinet grade ply.  The "foam" core isn't nearly as strong and if you are cutting delicate fretwork out of it, it is very prone to breakage. 

Not sure if all Luan and paneling is like that, but most of what I see around here is.  May work as a solid backer, but no good for scrolling.

14 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

I've used to for a sacrificial backer while scrolling, but I don't see that it would work for the main piece.  What I used splintered badly. 

I am a firm believer of it for delicate pieces. Lay down a sheet of luan.  Put your BB on with the bottom grain in the opposite direction.  If you are stacking more BB, keep alternating the grain.  Do the same for the top luan.  You are creating one thick piece of plywood.

jerry