Scroll Saw Challenge - Boxes, Bowls, & Trays

Travis

6 hours ago, John B said:

Very nice Ray,
they would make super Easter Presents filled with chocolates, actually great any time presents filled with choccies, nuts etc.

Right on John. My wife just informed me that I need to make about 6 more for gifts. I guess I'll never get to move on to other projects.

Hi Kirk ... about the second one down, that design came from a book called "Scroll Saw Basket Weave Projects" published by Fox Chapel Publishing, authors are John Nelson and William Guimond. It has twelve designs but please note that one of the designs is all wrong. Simply, the picture does Not match the detailed plans at all. I will say that Fox Chapel appreciated it when I pointed this out to them, to the point that I Will buy from them again. So, just be aware.... have a good one.

Vin

Ok, this will be a duplicate post as I am adding this box to my "what I have been up to lately post" with some other things but this is the box I made on my scroll saw last week.

The directions and the patterns for it came from the staff of Woodworker's Journal - Keepsake Box from Aug. 20, 2014 and was found here: http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/keepsake-box-project/

I used poplar because I had plenty of that on hand and THEN read that it is not a good wood for staining. (It's grain pattern tends to absorb unevenly.)  I had it because that is what I use when I am cutting out Iggy/Harvey's animal puzzles and I don't stain those. I did apply a pre-stain wood conditioner.  Then applied American Chestnut wood stain about 3 or 4 coats. Then added a shellac finish.  It turned out ok I think but next time will not use poplar when I want to stain. I am still trying to decide on what I want to put as far as a handle (if at all) and whether I want to flock the inside of the box, and if so, what color.

IMG_4766.jpg

IMG_4767.jpg

IMG_4768.jpg

Edited by meflick

1 hour ago, Scrappile said:

Oh, I might as well... made the Five Dragon box to put old nuts and bolts in, the Dutch box is where I throw my used and broken scroll saw blades.  Then  I made two Hamsa boxes to put ear wax in which is what I use make it easier to get screws screwed in.

Wow, amazing ....

32 minutes ago, heppnerguy said:

I have a couple of boxes I thought I might enter, for the fun of it. One is an inlay of Elvis that I made for my wife and the other is one that I made for her that she liked when I showed it to her and she wanted me to cut for her.

Fabulous boxes, my other half would love the Elvis one.

On 3/27/2019 at 2:09 PM, tgiro said:

Just love playing with rainbows - - -

rainbow-1.jpg

rainbow-2.jpg

rainbow-3.jpg

rainbow-4.jpg

rainbow-5.jpg

rainbow-6.jpg

rainbow-7.jpg

rainbow-8.jpg

wow. that is so outstanding. I am blown away by your skills. would it be possible to see a side photo of this piece? I am totally unaware of how  you could go this. How do you go about coloring the wood? What sort of angle are you using to cut this? How thick is this wood and what type of wood are you using? This is so beautifully done. You are truly an artist in every respect. Thank you so much for posting this.

Dick

heppnerguy 

14 hours ago, heppnerguy said:

wow. that is so outstanding. I am blown away by your skills. would it be possible to see a side photo of this piece? I am totally unaware of how  you could go this. How do you go about coloring the wood? What sort of angle are you using to cut this? How thick is this wood and what type of wood are you using? This is so beautifully done. You are truly an artist in every respect. Thank you so much for posting this.

Dick

heppnerguy 

OK - First - I didn't color the wood. The wood is from some left over strips of SpectraPly blocks, that I had used on another project. SpectraPly comes from Cousineau Wood Products -- https://www.cwp-usa.com/collections/spectraply-blanks

The process is called Bowl-from-a-Board. I made the board from the SpectraPly strips, then used my scroll saw to cut the rings out of it. The rings were about 5/8" thick and I cut at a 45 degree angle. When I was done shaping the bowl, the wall of the bowl was about 3/8" at the base - tapering out to 1/8" at the lip. The base and lip are made of maple. The lip ring was made using segmented ring methods.

If you are patient, and have the right sanders, you can shape the bowl with just the sanders. I cheated and used my lathe to spin the bowl while I worked. See Carole Rothman's youtubes and articles on how to cut bowls with a scroll saw and shape them with sanders.

Here is the only side picture I have. The bowl sold so I can't take any more.

rainbow bowl.jpg

3 hours ago, tgiro said:

OK - First - I didn't color the wood. The wood is from some left over strips of SpectraPly blocks, that I had used on another project. SpectraPly comes from Cousineau Wood Products -- https://www.cwp-usa.com/collections/spectraply-blanks

The process is called Bowl-from-a-Board. I made the board from the SpectraPly strips, then used my scroll saw to cut the rings out of it. The rings were about 5/8" thick and I cut at a 45 degree angle. When I was done shaping the bowl, the wall of the bowl was about 3/8" at the base - tapering out to 1/8" at the lip. The base and lip are made of maple. The lip ring was made using segmented ring methods.

If you are patient, and have the right sanders, you can shape the bowl with just the sanders. I cheated and used my lathe to spin the bowl while I worked. See Carole Rothman's youtubes and articles on how to cut bowls with a scroll saw and shape them with sanders.

Here is the only side picture I have. The bowl sold so I can't take any more.

rainbow bowl.jpg

Thank you for all the good info. I have never even heard of this wood before now. Easy to see why it sold. You did a fabulous job on it. I still view it with a lot of 'awe'.  I will check out the site you posted for this wood. You sure had me shaking my head with disbelief when I saw this one

Dick

heppnerguy

18 hours ago, heppnerguy said:

Thank you for all the good info. I have never even heard of this wood before now. Easy to see why it sold. You did a fabulous job on it. I still view it with a lot of 'awe'.  I will check out the site you posted for this wood. You sure had me shaking my head with disbelief when I saw this one

Dick

heppnerguy

Dick, do you subscribe to the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts magazine? If you do, look at the Fall 2018 edition, Issue 72. They did an article on the SpectraPly on page 66.  They used it to do several different types of scroll work.  They had JGR use some and she created a chameleon with it.  Bruce Shea did a beautiful bowl with stars, then they had a puzzle, a bracket, and an ornament.

Our Woodcraft store sells small blanks for pen turners of the material.  It is not cheap stuff and it takes a while to receive your order from Cousineau because it is "custom-made".  The magazine says it starts at $52 for a 3/4" by 9 1/2" by 40" piece.  I wanted to give some of it a try so i ordered some thinking hubby might also want some for turning.  It seemed to take forever to get it but it finally arrived.  I have not yet done anything with it.  Given its expense, I guess I am looking for that "perfect" project I want to try.

13 hours ago, meflick said:

Dick, do you subscribe to the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts magazine? If you do, look at the Fall 2018 edition, Issue 72. They did an article on the SpectraPly on page 66.  They used it to do several different types of scroll work.  They had JGR use some and she created a chameleon with it.  Bruce Shea did a beautiful bowl with stars, then they had a puzzle, a bracket, and an ornament.

Our Woodcraft store sells small blanks for pen turners of the material.  It is not cheap stuff and it takes a while to receive your order from Cousineau because it is "custom-made".  The magazine says it starts at $52 for a 3/4" by 9 1/2" by 40" piece.  I wanted to give some of it a try so i ordered some thinking hubby might also want some for turning.  It seemed to take forever to get it but it finally arrived.  I have not yet done anything with it.  Given its expense, I guess I am looking for that "perfect" project I want to try.

Melanie, sign up for their email blasts. Yeah more spam, but they will have a sale for just about anything. Their recent St Patrick's day sale took 50% off of their turning blocks. I got ten 10"x3"x3" blocks for $10 each. Every now and then their panels will go on sail, too. I get most everything I need from the 10x3x3 blocks that I rarely order panels.

14 hours ago, meflick said:

I do subscribe to the magazine but I missed that article or just blew past it. I really do not find very much in it that interests me but I know if I do not order them, they will come out with the perfect pattern that  I really wish I had. I even got a small write up in it about 4 years ago, after I had made 6 boxes for a local bride to give to her mother, mother-in -law to be, and here 4 brides maids. That made me feel pretty good about myself. 

I am not sure if I will be buying any of that wood very soon, as I have so many patterns I need to cut, but I will make sure I save your post. I was so fascinated by the beautiful bowl that was made from it. thank you so much for taking the time to give me this information. You are the kind of person that makes the THE VILLAGE  such a wonderful place to visit and get to know more people. 

Dick

heppnerguy

47 minutes ago, tgiro said:

Melanie, sign up for their email blasts. Yeah more spam, but they will have a sale for just about anything. Their recent St Patrick's day sale took 50% off of their turning blocks. I got ten 10"x3"x3" blocks for $10 each. Every now and then their panels will go on sail, too. I get most everything I need from the 10x3x3 blocks that I rarely order panels.

I thank you for taking the time to let me know this. Your piece is so absolutely awesome that it blew me away. I am keeping this information in my files for when I decide I am ready to splurge and give this wood a try. I love how I keep learning new things on this site and ever grateful for people like you who are so talented and so willing to share your knowledge with people like me

Dick

heppnerguy

• Travis unpinned this topic
  • 2 months later...
On 3/25/2019 at 10:00 AM, meflick said:

Ok, this will be a duplicate post as I am adding this box to my "what I have been up to lately post" with some other things but this is the box I made on my scroll saw last week.

The directions and the patterns for it came from the staff of Woodworker's Journal - Keepsake Box from Aug. 20, 2014 and was found here: http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/keepsake-box-project/

I used poplar because I had plenty of that on hand and THEN read that it is not a good wood for staining. (It's grain pattern tends to absorb unevenly.)  I had it because that is what I use when I am cutting out Iggy/Harvey's animal puzzles and I don't stain those. I did apply a pre-stain wood conditioner.  Then applied American Chestnut wood stain about 3 or 4 coats. Then added a shellac finish.  It turned out ok I think but next time will not use poplar when I want to stain. I am still trying to decide on what I want to put as far as a handle (if at all) and whether I want to flock the inside of the box, and if so, what color.

IMG_4766.jpg

IMG_4767.jpg

IMG_4768.jpg

Very nice!

• 2 weeks later...