Scroll Saw Challenge - Boxes, Bowls, & Trays

Travis

BoxesChallenge.png

Howdy All.  It's been a brutal winter, and I'm itching to get things done.  I've been focusing on organizing the house and shop, lately.  So I thought it would be fun to do some organizing projects.  This month's scroll saw challenge is called Boxes, Bowls, & Trays.  Basically, any kind of vessel, which could also include vases and other holders.  Post a pic of boxes, trays, bowls, vases, pencil holders, totes, caddies, or whatever else you made to hold or organize stuff.  It doesn't have to be completely done with a scroll saw, but a scroll saw should be involved in some way.  Be sure to tell us a little about your project and what it was used for, or any other story that comes with the project (I love the story behind the project just as much as I like the project).

Have fun!  I can't wait to see what you come up with.

3 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Here's what I have to offer. Just finished it. It's called the Royal Game of UR. Older than chess from what I've read.  Very fun game. Kind of like Backgammon. Everything was cut on scroll saw cuz it was to dang cold to go out in unseated shed and use table saw. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Very nice Gonzo,
I watched a couple of youtube videos from the British museum about an original game they have and the bloke who worked out the rules. Fascinating.

Dang.  Looks like I need to try my hand at a box.  I made one, waaaaaay back (a year and a half ago?) when I picked up woodworking again, but didn't have a scroll saw so it doesn't apply here.  I may have to cut another one, cuz its a pretty dang cool box, especially given how rough-shod it is.

2 hours ago, Rob said:

I recently bought a pile of reclaimed timber and in amongst it were several short lengths of macrocarpa tongue and groove.  Luckily it proved to be an ideal thickness for inlaying onto some pine offcuts I had lying around so I made these small hinged boxes using the excellent tutorial by our very own Jim Finn.  

Rob 

InlayDogBox.png

InlayCatBox.png

Very nice Rob.
I do love inlay work.

On 3/8/2019 at 7:11 PM, John B said:

A double Toy box I made about 10 years ago. (600x600x1200mm). I made a few single ones prior at 600mm cubed. From memory I used the scroll saw to cut the internal cuts of the letters. I made the lids lift off so as to prevent little finger getting jammed with a hinged lid.

2009-June 7th 047.jpg

2009-June 7th 051.jpg

Very nice work.

On 3/11/2019 at 1:43 PM, don in brooklin on said:

This a box that has been sitting as a PHD since last summer edition of Scroll Saw workshop (71). Pattern by Sue Mey.

Inside to and bottom Flocked in brown

This challenge gave me inspiration to finish.

IMG_7641.JPG

IMG_7637.JPG

Very nice. I'm humbled.

On 3/11/2019 at 8:29 PM, Rob said:

I recently bought a pile of reclaimed timber and in amongst it were several short lengths of macrocarpa tongue and groove.  Luckily it proved to be an ideal thickness for inlaying onto some pine offcuts I had lying around so I made these small hinged boxes using the excellent tutorial by our very own Jim Finn.  

Rob 

InlayDogBox.png

InlayCatBox.png

Anything "inlaid" catches my eye.

1 minute ago, Scrappile said:

@octoolguy not tired of seeing them at all, but they do make my blood pressure rise,,,,, another thing I want to build that I haven't gotten too yet... Yours set the standard.

Thanks Paul. You are too kind. I seem to recall a certain canoe that you built. That put me back on my haunches. You are the talented one.

I still have a ton of stuff from that same book that I want to make but I keep finding other stuff that my wife wants. Or a neighbor wants or whatever. I just wish I could find a cheap source of wood. That and time is all that is holding me back.

Edited by octoolguy

On 3/15/2019 at 6:54 AM, octoolguy said:

I know, some of you folks have seen these before and are probably tired of me posting them but for the folks who may not have seen them, these are 3 of my baskets that I am now making for folks. I enlarged the pattern and will be turning out some bigger ones soon.

20181216_124414.jpg

Very nice Ray,
they would make super Easter Presents filled with chocolates, actually great any time presents filled with choccies, nuts etc.