Beware C.A.Glue !!

Foxfold

Today I accidentally knocked a small bottle of CA glue over whilst applying it to a break in a piece I was cutting.

It cemented my jeans to my thigh instantly and welded my Crocks and socks to my feet.  Oh boy it felt like I was on fire. The result is I now look like this 🤪  Just a photo of my foot as I'm way past the age where I flash a thigh. 🤣

CA Burn.jpg

I've been using CA for years during 40 years of model railroading. But it was used in such small amounts. Every once in while I'd get things stuck to my fingers. I tried finishing pens with CA and gave that up quickly. Your foot looks painful. I hope you heal quickly and completely.

Brenda, that looks so painful. I got burned pretty bad when I was a teenager from a steam explosion of a car radiator. It got me on my chest and under my neck and one arm. So, I know what you are feeling. I am praying you heal quickly. That burn looks like it should have a layer of Vaseline on it and a layer of gauze to keep the open air off of it.

It was the socks that caused the heat when the CA reacted to it. This is why in the pen world we use it for a finish on pens and I love it. But when applying with certain towels they will get extremely warm and even start smoking so you need to take care of discarding. Acetone or nail polish remover will dissolve it. keep it covered with a clean white cloth and use burn sav on it while it heals. Good luck. Another lesson is learned and passed on. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

7 hours ago, Sycamore67 said:

Brenda...

I think you should see a doctor. A large burn is an invite for serious infection.

I did phone 111 ( our health service help line) and spoke to a medic.  I ran cool water over both legs  for 20 mins and then wrapped everything in clingfilm.  This morning I'm fine, the clingfilm  is keeping the air from it and I am in no pain. I will keep a close eye on it I promise.

12 hours ago, Travis said:

I use CA glue when finishing pens, and boy it heats up fast!  I hope you heal quickly and take good care of it.

Thank you Travis. I appreciate you taking the time to answer. I have more than enough 'splash' blisters on my thigh and my foot will take a little time to heal. I have now 'googled' CA Glue and must confess that I never realised that it could burn so badly. However, forewarned is forearmed  as they say and I will be extra cautious next time I have reason to use it.

Edited by Foxfold

7 minutes ago, Paul hd said:

You must of taking the lid of the glue to get that amount of glue spillage. Take care and all the best.

You are quite right. I wanted the tiniest bit of glue in the 'void' of the plywood, not on the surface., so I took the top off and dipped an old blade into it. The idea worked perfectly 😂.  However, I was so pleased with myself, I forgot momentarily where I had placed the bottle and when I turned to pick up the lid I caught the bottle with my wrist and 'hey presto'.  Lesson learned. !!

Edited by Foxfold

Ouch!  

I've been using CA glue since Eastman first began offering it, (when first offered it was known as Eastman 910) and learned early on to be well protected when using it. My worst injury has only been gluing my fingers together or to what I've been gluing. Warm water applied quickly helps and Acetone does work too, but neither does a good job and some skin is usually lost in the process.

One of the things that I learned early on is to keep the bottle pressed tightly into a hole in a thick piece of foam plastic about 6" square when being used. This makes it almost impossible to knock over. I also use the cone shaped lid with the small hole to only let a few drops out of the bottle at a time. The only time that I have the bottle fully open is when exchanging the flat lid with the cone lid and this is always done with the bottle pressed into the foam plastic to keep it upright.

Can you give us some more details describing how you actually did this? It might help to keep someone else from experiencing the same accident.

Charley

1 hour ago, CharleyL said:

Can you give us some more details describing how you actually did this? It might help to keep someone else from experiencing the same accident.

I did already in answer to Paul hd, I said,   (You are quite right. I wanted the tiniest bit of glue in the 'void' of the plywood, not on the surface., so I took the top off and dipped an old blade into it. The idea worked perfectly 😂.  However, I was so pleased with myself, I forgot momentarily where I had placed the bottle and when I turned to pick up the lid I caught the bottle with my wrist and 'hey presto'.  Lesson learned. !! )