Vacuum Noise Levels

Rockytime

Since dust collection noise can be irritating this may or may not be of interest to anyone but here goes for those of you who  may be thinking about getting a vacuum for dust collection. 

I did an on line search for decibel levels on Fein and Fastool vacuums. These are the levels listed on their websites.

Fein Turbo: lowest end model, $290, 66 dB

Festool: lowest end model, $400, low 62 dB, high 72 dB

I have two Oreck vacuums 80 dB

Filter Queen vacuum on my dust collector 65 dB

I mention the Filter Queen (FQ) because of it's power and low noise. I was perusing Craigslist and Facebook Market for used FQs. Facebook had a number of them from $25 to $250 with a lot of unneeded accessories. I've had two of them. They are very strong and new they are selling for over $3000. I bought mine perhaps 25 years ago used from a friend who was a dealer. I have a 13 gallon HF dust collector and the FQ works as well or better. Also the FQ is very compact and would work well for a stacked setup. So I am just suggesting checking out the used market and you may some money.

Something else to keep in mind is the micron of dust particles... I did a lot of homework last year but ran out of time before the end of the year for my tax deductions so I never bought one.. Anyway.. The Fein being much cheaper because it's not Hepa rated unless you spend another $100+ for the hepa filter.. Then you're comparable to the Festool which is... I don't know anything about the other Vacs you mentioned.. Nor the dust collector.. I do know "most" dust collectors with the bag only filter down to around 10 micron unless you "again" spend some more money for a higher end bag or the filter canisters.. I have the big dust collector from Harbor Freight and while it's great for getting the bigger chips from the planner it also will blow that fine dust right through the bag.. runs fairly quiet. 

Now the debate is.. How much filtration do we need? My noisy shop vac runs at 93 dB ( I have an app for sound level on my phone.. not sure how accurate it is but it works to measure sound levels between my machines..) and if you aim the exhaust through some light in the background you can see the fine dust blowing out the back.. Does it pick up the dust better than not using anything and sweeping the stuff up when done sawing... Yes... but there is fine dust everywhere in the shop after it settles the next morning..

So with all that said first consider how good a dust collection you're looking for too.. and these do not clean up the air so you can do without a dust mask..

I'm not saying that the regular old shop vac doesn't work.. or help.. as I'm using mine until I can get the Festool that I want.. My decision on a Festool over the Fein isn't anything to do with the Hepa filter or the quality of the machines etc.. it's because I have a local dealer and service center.. should I need that.. So yes most all the vacs are probably better than nothing.. and most any are probably perfect for the hobbyist.. I'm just looking for more filtration and quiet at the same time and as business grows, tools fail etc.. I'm replacing lower end tools to higher end stuff..  

Thanks for the suggestions of other vacs and the noise levels.. I'm sure that'll sure help out in someone looking for a quieter vac 

Edited by kmmcrafts

Excellent comment on how much filtration you need.  As I get older, I need better filtration as my lungs do not work as well.

I have the Festool for over 5 years and my cost per day is pennies.  I use it on the scroll saw and sanders. You cannot see dust hanging in the air in my shop.

If I had the HF dust coll, I would get a cartridge filter for it.  Many people modify it with such a filter with reported better suction and filtering.

I just added a hepa filter to my cheap, rather low powered Porter Cable shop vac for $16.00. Needed a bit of modification but nothing too tough. The filter claims filtration down to 0.3 microns. Years ago I had a large Ryobi shop vac that attached to my table saw and also a downdraft sanding station. It was loud but I duct taped a fine bag type filter (probably not HEPA quality) ro the exhaust and took care of much of the fine dust. Decibel level still pretty high though.

Another thing I read somewhere, sometime, the "dust extractors", like Fein and Festool are to run for long periods of time, where as, shop vacuums are made to run for much shorter periods.  How true that is I do not know. I have had three shop vacuums in my 45+ plus years of wood working.  They were not run for long periods but each one lasted many years...

Just another thought to throw into the game.

Kevin is correct an the Fein verses Festool.  I bought the Fein, it was cheaper, after more study I realized to make the Fein equivalent to the Festool I would have to buy a HEPA filter.  If you add the HEPA to the Fein, there are only a few dollars difference in price.   I am thinking very seriously about adding the HEPA.

Edited by Scrappile

1 hour ago, Scrappile said:

Another thing I read somewhere, sometime, the "dust extractors", like Fein and Festool are to run for long periods of time, where as, shop vacuums are made to run for much shorter periods.  How true that is I do not know. I have had three shop vacuums in my 45+ plus years of wood working.  They were not run for long periods but each one lasted many years...

Just another thought to throw into the game.

Kevin is correct an the Fein verses Festool.  I bought the Fein, it was cheaper, after more study I realized to make the Fein equivalent to the Festool I would have to buy a HEPA filter.  If you add the HEPA to the Fein, there are only a few dollars dollars in price.   I am thinking very seriously about adding the HEPA.

I have the Fein. I bought it used. It has the HEPA filter in it. I also bought a Wen air cleaner. I run a 20" box fan with furnace filters. I wear a dusk mask. I still have some residual dust that accumulates in my shop. I can't figure out anything else to do so I'll just have to put up with it. Bottom line though, I catch a ton of the dust right at the saw and that is all I ever wanted.

Working on a small vac for my scroll saw and drill press now. I was flipping coins between the Fein and the Festool. I've kind of settled on the Fein because of a local dealer.

I have a 1-1/2 horse Delta Dust Collector system running, but it labors when I have the small 3/4" scrollsaw ports open. I usually open another 2" port somewhere is the system so it doesn't have to work so hard. But I can sit on the scroll saw all day, and that's again, a lot of work for a DC.Like Paul said, they are supposed to be used short term.

The Fein will be dedicated to the scrollsaw and the drill press. I already have another old craftsman Vac for general use, but that thing sounds like an F-15 running in my small basement shop.

On 10/7/2019 at 8:04 PM, Rockytime said:

Since dust collection noise can be irritating this may or may not be of interest to anyone but here goes for those of you who  may be thinking about getting a vacuum for dust collection. 

I did an on line search for decibel levels on Fein and Fastool vacuums. These are the levels listed on their websites.

Fein Turbo: lowest end model, $290, 66 dB

Festool: lowest end model, $400, low 62 dB, high 72 dB

I have two Oreck vacuums 80 dB

Filter Queen vacuum on my dust collector 65 dB

I mention the Filter Queen (FQ) because of it's power and low noise. I was perusing Craigslist and Facebook Market for used FQs. Facebook had a number of them from $25 to $250 with a lot of unneeded accessories. I've had two of them. They are very strong and new they are selling for over $3000. I bought mine perhaps 25 years ago used from a friend who was a dealer. I have a 13 gallon HF dust collector and the FQ works as well or better. Also the FQ is very compact and would work well for a stacked setup. So I am just suggesting checking out the used market and you may some money.

Les, what is the model number on your Filter Queen. I'm looking around at them but there seems to be many and I'm not sure of the amperage of the different models. I have found a couple in the $25 range and I might pop for one of them if I knew which one to buy.

2 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Les, what is the model number on your Filter Queen. I'm looking around at them but there seems to be many and I'm not sure of the amperage of the different models. I have found a couple in the $25 range and I might pop for one of them if I knew which one to buy.

I've been out of the shop today but will try to remember to check the model number tomorrow. One is the tan model which is much older. The other is not as old and is chrome and brown but they are same operationally. For $25 I'd give it a shot. I have a couple of Decibel meter aps on my phone. If you look at one it would be worth while checking the noise levels. I have two aps just to make sure they are both reading similarly.

1 hour ago, Jim Finn said:

I have put the vac  outside the shop and ran the hose to the equipment through the wall.  Worked well for noise control.  I have the same set-up for my dust collection system now.

I have my vac in a closet near my saw and use a remote switch to use it. Hose runs through the wall. Pretty quiet.

I really like my Fein. I have it hooked up to my EX-21.  Doesn't have the HEPA, but I wear a dust mask while scrolling.  (Plus, I live on a gravel road, open my windows when  it's nice out, have forced air heat, etc etc, so no need for the HEPA). I really like the Fein, it's about 2 feet behind me when I'm scrolling.  In my opinion it's very quiet. I have a remote that I use to turn it on and off, 

I have the Ridgid NXT 14 Gallon. According to Home Depot it runs at 78db.  However, it seemed louder. I used my iphone app and it said the db is 88. I did some checking on the internet and 88db is consistent for this shop vac from other users.

I also checked my large dust collector that is connected to my other power tools and it runs at 77db.

I feel like I have two solutions.

1 - buy something new like a Fein   or

2 - put my Ridgid in the attic above my shop and put a connector port in the ceiling.  I think I am going to try this, running the hose through the drop down stairs. It will give me an idea if this will really work. The ceiling is well insulated so it will be quieter.

I wish I had built an outside room for my dust collector when I built my shop. That would have been ideal.

Edited by Matt B

Well, putting the Ridgid in the attic did not do much. The db dropped from 88 to 75. The whine of the vac came right through the hose. I did have the hose running through the drop down stairs opening, so some sound was coming through that opening at the stairs  .I had the stairs closed as much as possible, but not a perfect test. 

I do have an old Shop Vac brand that I thought was loud. It measured 75 db. Putting it in the  attic cut the sound level by about three db. 

it keeps coming back to buying the Fein to solve the noise problem. 

3 hours ago, Matt B said:

Well, putting the Ridgid in the attic did not do much. The db dropped from 88 to 75. The whine of the vac came right through the hose. I did have the hose running through the drop down stairs opening, so some sound was coming through that opening at the stairs  .I had the stairs closed as much as possible, but not a perfect test. 

I do have an old Shop Vac brand that I thought was loud. It measured 75 db. Putting it in the  attic cut the sound level by about three db. 

it keeps coming back to buying the Fein to solve the noise problem. 

What makes your decision for choosing the Fein over Festool and some of the others? I'm just curious as I'm torn between the Fein and Festool.. There are also many other top of the line quiet machines out there that I never heard of before.. I found it last year doing searches on vacuums etc.. and if I remember correctly I ended up on some drywallers / construction working forum.. they talked about the Fein like it didn't hold up well and the Festool wasn't far behind.. They did say the older Feins where nice units.. but the newer models they claimed to be a waist of money.. Believe they mentioned the older ones having a two speed setting.. the newer ones are single speed.. Festool is a two speed or variable? 

I wish I had bookmarked that site.. because they talked brands I never heard of.. and I did look up some of those brands and prices were comparable.. 

Anyway, I'm just wondering why you sway toward the Fein.. Meanwhile I'm trying to find some of those other brands.. andat the moment I'm leaning toward the Festool for two reasons.. one being I have a dealer about 30 mile away.. the other is I like that it has the two speed or variable whatever it was.. Rolf has one ad claims he runs his on the lowest setting for the scroll saw and it works great for him on low.. also quieter on low..   

The Festool is tempting because of the lower DB on the lower speed. The only swaying issue is the price. I am sitting on the fence.  I also saw some other vacs that I have not heard of, that have low db.

With the new OSHA standards for dust control on jobsites, these vacs will become more common. So far, they are all expensive.

I did see that Fein offers a 3 or 4 year warranty if you register the purchase.

14 minutes ago, Matt B said:

The Festool is tempting because of the lower DB on the lower speed. The only swaying issue is the price. I am sitting on the fence.  I also saw some other vacs that I have not heard of, that have low db.

With the new OSHA standards for dust control on jobsites, these vacs will become more common. So far, they are all expensive.

I did see that Fein offers a 3 or 4 year warranty if you register the purchase.

Price is pretty darn close to the same when you buy the Hepa filter for the Fein  that comes standard on the Festool.. Festool is also the only one 'Hepa certified ".. The question is.. is the Hepa filteration really needed.. Guess that really depends on how clean you want / need the air in your shop.. My standard shop vac with a Hepa filter does a decent job.. while not perfect it's a lot better than nothing at all.. But the noise is terrible, LOL.. I'm also quite torn between those too vac.. but as I've said.. Festool dealer not far away.. and it seems like the better system with the low speed.. but the price is also steep..