Feedback Wanted - Personalized Ornament Kit

Travis

Hi All.  I've been toying around with an idea I'd like to get your thoughts on.  I made a customizable ornament kit that allows you to personalize Holiday ornaments.  Basically, this is a Inkscape (svg) file that allows you to personalize ornaments with names (or dates).  I would provide the SVG file, along with instructions and some promo pics you can post to social media.  This is basically a mini business-in-a-box where you can earn a little extra cash this Holiday season.

Here's what would be included in the kit:

• SVG Ornament File - Inkscape SVG file that you can use to customize ornaments.  (US Letter & A4 size)
  • Step by Step Instructions - How to use the Inkscape file, and how to export PDFs and PNGs from Inkscape.
  • Promotion Banners - Pre-made images you can post to social media that advertise your ornaments. (5 pricepoints in $ & £)
  • GIMP Promotion Banner Template - GIMP file that allows you to customize your promotion banner with your name and picture.

Note:  This ornament kit is meant for folks who have a working knowledge of Inkscape.  You don't have to be an advanced user, but you should have the basics down.  If you'd like to learn more about Inkscape, you can find my free online course here.

Here's an overview on how the kit works:

With this kit, you can either sell finished patterns to fellow scrollers or crafters.  Or you can sell finished ornaments.  Here are some selling ideas:

• Custom patterns for fellow scrollers & crafters.  (suggested price:  $1-2 per custom pattern)
  • Post to your Facebook (or other social media) that you make custom ornaments.  Friends and family would jump at the chance to have a custom ornament designed and cut by you.  (suggested price: $10-15 each).
  • Take orders at a craft show, church bizarre or event.  Or even scroll on-site. (suggested price: $10-15 each).
  • Sell on Etsy or similar online handmade marketplaces.  Just give yourself time to make and ship the items.  (suggested price:  $12-20 each)
  • Fundraiser for youth group, school, or sports team.  (suggested price:  $12-20 each)
  • Or maybe, they’re just unique gifts for friends and family (suggested price:  $0 each)

OK.  Here's where I'd like to get your help:

1. What do you think of the idea?  Is it something you'd find useful?
  2. Do you think it would be too difficult to use?
  3. What would you think is a fair price for this business-in-a-box kit (take into account all that is included, including source files).
  4. Any other feedback?

SVG_Screenshot.png

PromotionMockup.png

• Travis changed the title to Feedback Wanted - Personalized Ornament Kit

Thanks.  If there's enough interest, I'd release a new set each year.  So there would be a 2019 set for $x and a 2020 set for $x.

As far as price goes, a better way of putting it:  If you were to purchase something like this, what would you be willing to pay (a fair price for us both).  A stab in the dark is fine with me if you don't know.  I have a price in mind, but I don't want to underprice it.  LOL.

I like the idea.  Not sure about the price. When you convert to CDN $ it seems expensive.

I buy Steve's every year even though I have not used in the last 2 years as I had other ideas for personalized ornaments for the family.

I think these are ornaments are pretty basic but I would imagine over the years they would evolve.

Over the years, I think $19.95 has been the magic price point that folks will pay. And for those who are in different countries where it might be too expensive, a price adjustment might be in order so it works out that everybody is paying that price. I'd be interested at $19.95. And if you add new designs each year, maybe a lower amount just for the new additions to those who have already purchased the basic package. The cheaper you keep it, the more interest you will get. I can see this being a winner and it might blossom into other areas of interest. Since I seem to be "Inkscape challenged" I'm very interested in anything that generates income from using my saw.

I'd be interested but only for friends and family, as gifts. While I do some woodworking for money, none of it is scroll work. I think this would be of more value for those who use craft fair events to earn some money. Twenty dollars is pocket change in 2019 but for this old fart is still seems like a lot of money. I know precious little about Inkscape but after watching the video this looks very easy. I hope this is successful for you.

Thanks all for the feedback.  I really appreciate it.  I love having folks like you to bounce ideas off of.

We'll see if folks find the Ornament Kit useful.  If there's enough interest, I'll make another one next year.  So, over the years, can have a nice variety of customizable ornaments.

It is available for download in the ebook shop.  I was thinking $20 also sounded reasonable, too.  I figure if you sell 2 ornaments, you've recouped your investment.  Everything after that is gravy.  :cool:

What I think I might do, since this is the first time doing something like this, I'm putting it on sale for 50% off through Cyber Monday!  So right now, you can pick it up for only $10, which is a screamin' deal!  :santa:  It's my way of saying Thank You for being a part of SSV and making it such a great place to be.

If anybody has any trouble downloading the file, please let me know.  While the system has been there for the Ornaments For Charity eBook, this is the first time using the payment feature with the eBooks.  From what I can tell, it's pretty straight forward.  But I'd love to hear your experiences, too.  :)

I like the idea... and also like the idea of getting a few new designs every year.. Little late in the year for me to take advantage for online sales anyway for this year.. I turn all custom orders away usually around November 1st.. as I am filling orders and trying to keep up with inventory.. so I don't have the time to do custom work.. If this was released in Sept. It'd work for me.. 😂 I'll buy it and get it online but it'll be for next year..

I don't know how much work went into getting this set up.. But I thought $20 was a little on the low side.. but I'm not complaining 🤣

Thanks Travis for doing this.. I always liked Steve Goods personalized ornaments but as I said.. He is always releasing them way too late for me to take much advantage and for his I have to buy each pattern from him.. and for custom work I like to get the stuff done... and while his turnaround time might be alright.. I just like having the controls.. so I've never bought any of them from him.. which makes this idea genius..  

2 hours ago, Norm Fengstad said:

Like the idea, ordered paid through Paypal went to download and  my  computer blocked it so what do I do now? I doubt if the program contains malicious things.

I'm sorry to hear that.  That sounds like a firewall on your computer is blocking it.  It could be your computer security settings, browser security settings, or a virus scanner.  Many times when it blocks a download, there's a popup saying it won't download.  On that popup, there's usually a "Advanced" button you can click.  Click that and it will give you the option of downloading anyway.  If that doesn't work, shoot me a email and I'll email the files to you.

1 hour ago, jbrowning said:

Awesome idea Travis. I will get mine tonight after I get home from work. Would you be open for suggestions of the types of ornaments for the next year?

Thanks

Jim

Absolutely.  I'd love suggestions for future ornament designs.  You can share them here, or you can PM me.  Thanks for the feedback.  :)

1 hour ago, Phantom Scroller said:

You could always add a tutorial on how to change the text for those that pay with the download and a link to inkscape. Great idea for those that are software illiterate. Roly

Yah, I can flush it out a bit more in the written tutorial.  I'll see if I can update that in the next day or so.  The ornament kit is meant for folks who are familiar with Inkscape.  I wrote in the description something to the order that you need a working knowledge of Inscape, but don't have to be an expert.