Dead Excelsior Scroll Saw

William O Young

1 hour ago, teachnlearn said:

One problem with the grid is everything is getting old and demanding money. Highways, bridges, school buildings, trains, and the Infrastructure Bill sits. People need health care, there are still people including vets that are homeless, more unemployed and less money for food from the government. Every year the needs out weight the money and drive to get things done. So the electrical grid gets older and older year by year and put off for another year. IF nothing is done, eventually there will be power failures, like an old car that rusts a bit more every year.

Not intended to bring just bad news. I see these articles surface every year, its commonly known in the power industry. There is always those out their working every day to paste it together, there just isn't a major push to put in newer better material. There are many dedicated power company people working round the clock trying to keep it together. The present projections is if it continues to have nothing done, better have different power sources for more frequent power outages. This just didn't happen now, its been written about for at least 15 years that I have read of it.  RJF

I have promised not to get "political" here so I will refrain from adding my $.02.

2 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Spent some of that cash you have laying around on a good 7500 watt genny.

Just did that for my mother inlaw.. as she has copd and on oxygen.. but the old genny was too small for her oxygen generator / maker.. so I just put one in for her.. I've got a portable 7500 watt one.. we put a bigger one in and it's all hooked up and automated.. power goes out..it auto kick on.. Diesel Genny.. That's what i'm going to do for myself one of these days.. 

1 minute ago, kmmcrafts said:

Just did that for my mother inlaw.. as she has copd and on oxygen.. but the old genny was too small for her oxygen generator / maker.. so I just put one in for her.. I've got a portable 7500 watt one.. we put a bigger one in and it's all hooked up and automated.. power goes out..it auto kick on.. Diesel Genny.. That's what i'm going to do for myself one of these days.. 

That's what I'm talking about. YEAH!

Just now, octoolguy said:

That's what I'm talking about. YEAH!

When my power goes out.. it's usually not worth my time to go dig out the portable one and set it all up.. Most times it's back on in a couple hours.. take me that long to get it out and set up... but nice to have when those ice storms come and sometimes take out the power for a few days.. 

25 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

When my power goes out.. it's usually not worth my time to go dig out the portable one and set it all up.. Most times it's back on in a couple hours.. take me that long to get it out and set up... but nice to have when those ice storms come and sometimes take out the power for a few days.. 

That's when you gotta duct tape the reefer/freezer doors shut.

2 hours ago, jerrye said:

Are you IEEE? My father in law is a life fellow.

I spent time in the Navy and was hurt. I was released disabled and didn't keep up on the Association. I remember getting the information for years and think I was part of it, but never attended a convention or had any involvement. I've been, semi retired since being released from the Navy. I don't have the energy or strength to be a consistent employee, so I design on my own with no state lic. RJF

3 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

I have copd and one lung. If electric goes down, I need AC, which a whole house pulls a lot, so I'm planning on a whole house automated also. My wife is disabled also. When the humidity goes up or heat goes up, we thought of selling tickets to watch people wheezzing and gasping for air. RJF

Edited by teachnlearn