Is RBI Hawk still in business?

Nate

Hello!

Ive got a Hawk 226VS that I want to add the RBI Upper blade holder bracket conversion kit to.   I sent Hawk an email a week ago and still have not heard back from them. I just called them a few minutes ago and can’t leave a message as their voicemail is full. 

Is Hawk, or Bushton still in business?

Thanks 

They are not very good with emails..  It's best to keep trying to catch them on the phone.. I haven't talked with anyone from Bushton in maybe 9 months.. So I don't know.. I do have Nikki's email but not sure how much she checks out the emails.. 

It wouldn't surprise me if they are out of business.. because it's a hobby business for them so they just don't keep up with things as they would if they was relying on the business for bills and food, LOL... 

You'll love that kit if you ever get it.. I upgraded my old 220VS with the new kit.. saw sure ran much better.. My new BM-26 series has the new style ( same as the kit to repair the old ones..) If / when I need to replace the one on the 226 Ultra.. I'm going to go with the upgrade.. upper clamp etc..  

I actually wanted to pick up an extra set of blade clamps.. maybe I'll see if I can get it touch with them..If I do I'll mention to check the email / messages etc.. LOL 

Edit to add: I see that you said you tried calling a few minutes ago.. I'm not sure what time it is in Kansas but.. I'm pretty sure they was closed a few minutes ago,  I've never had any luck getting through any later than 4PM Eastern time..  

Edited by kmmcrafts

Maybe a bunch of us Hawk owners should all pitch some money in and buy the business. I'm sure that collectively we could run it better. It's great that they have kept the name and the business going but to run it the way they do is really sad. If this is the way they are going to continue, I might be tempted to sell my Hawk and move toward a brand that is better represented.

In business??  Well that is debatable. I would not call it a business. These new owners have run that name into the ground. I ordered some lower blade holders and a couple upper quick release parts for my 2 RBI saws on Aug 24th of 2019. Still have not received them. They charged my card the very day I ordered. I contacted them through their web site where it says contact us. Then we emailed. They use a mill that many people in their town use and they are on a waiting list to have parts made. I read them them the riot act and they asked if I want my money returned. I told them they have me between a rock and a hard place because I need the parts. But that they are affecting my business because I am down without a saw but it meant absolutely nothing to them and they do not care. Now I have other saws luckly but that is for me to know. I have bad mouthed them on every site I can and will continue to do so and pity anyone who buys a RBI saw. All I can say is good luck. This is no way to run a business. The competition will leave them in the dust. Those of us who have RBI saws will have to put up with them till they close the doors I guess. 

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

Maybe a bunch of us Hawk owners should all pitch some money in and buy the business. I'm sure that collectively we could run it better. It's great that they have kept the name and the business going but to run it the way they do is really sad. If this is the way they are going to continue, I might be tempted to sell my Hawk and move toward a brand that is better represented.

Probably selling the saw is your best bet since you're not happy with how high it is on the stand.. Maybe sell it and get another EX or Hegner..

I hated my Hawk for the first year I had it... then I told myself that I'm not ever going to get used to it if I always go do my cutting on the DW.. So that one winter after the holiday rush.. I told myself I'm using the saw for  full year and not touching the DW.. Got me to actually love the saw.. 

I thought about buying another new 20" saw this year.. and sell off the old 20" saw.. Parts aren't a big deal with enough family and friends that are machinist.. and have machining tools in their hobby garages / shops.. always happy to make something.. Hawks are all solid machined parts. nothing cast on them.. newer ones that is.. some of the old ones had some castings...

Edit to add: I wouldn't want the business... they've run it into the ground enough that'd it'd be quite hard to dig out of the hole and make it a profitable business.. 

Edited by kmmcrafts

I do love my Hawk G4-26. I have also had a few discussions with Nilus, one of the owners. If I remember correctly he had a brother that passed away. ( My memory may be wrong) but I suspect that that brother was the driving force.  I think they missed the boat by not hitting the market hard when the EX went out of production. 

The availability of multiple versions of the EX now available, especially the new Pegas may be the clincher. Just my opinion.

15 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Probably selling the saw is your best bet since you're not happy with how high it is on the stand.. Maybe sell it and get another EX or Hegner..

I hated my Hawk for the first year I had it... then I told myself that I'm not ever going to get used to it if I always go do my cutting on the DW.. So that one winter after the holiday rush.. I told myself I'm using the saw for  full year and not touching the DW.. Got me to actually love the saw.. 

I thought about buying another new 20" saw this year.. and sell off the old 20" saw.. Parts aren't a big deal with enough family and friends that are machinist.. and have machining tools in their hobby garages / shops.. always happy to make something.. Hawks are all solid machined parts. nothing cast on them.. newer ones that is.. some of the old ones had some castings...

Edit to add: I wouldn't want the business... they've run it into the ground enough that'd it'd be quite hard to dig out of the hole and make it a profitable business.. 

Kevin, I think you might be right. I've sort of been waiting for the Hawks near me that are for sale on C/L to sell. I think I will sell it. I only bought it to experience what all of you Hawk owners kept talking about. It is a great saw. The height is something I can deal with in one way or another. But, if there are going to be problems in the future with parts, that is a deal-breaker. I'll do as you suggested and either pick up another EX type saw or wait for a deal on a used Hegner. I did like the Hegner that I had. But the "speed" problem was something that I couldn't get past. 

The height of the G4 took me some time to get used to. My wife bought me a stool years ago that is the perfect height for it. Of course I could have modified the legs. 

But now that I have an EX 16 with the Pegas clamps, I feel I have the perfect combination of saws in my shop. The EX for all the bevel cuts and the Hawk my "production" saw and large projects. 

The EX @ 54 lbs vs 110 for the Hawk makes it my traveling saw.

Edited by Rolf

6 hours ago, Rolf said:

The height of the G4 took me some time to get used to. My wife bought me a stool years ago that is the perfect height for it. Of course I could have modified the legs. 

But now that I have an EX 16 with the Pegas clamps, I feel I have the perfect combination of saws in my shop. The EX for all the bevel cuts and the Hawk my "production" saw and large projects. 

The EX @ 54 lbs vs 110 for the Hawk makes it my traveling saw.

Rolf, can you supply any info on your chair/stool that you use at the Hawk? If I decide to keep my Hawk, it might help to find the right chair. Everything at this point is dependent upon finding out what is happening with Bushton.

Man, readin all this chatter about the Hawk saws is like listenin to the news 'bout Trump!:(

I'm lookin' to buy a 20" Hawk. I just called'em on the phone & got all the information about the saw I needed.

They ain't a huge outfit like yer dewalts & such. They's a family owned & operated business. This time of year, they're busier'n a couple a tomcats in a gunny sack on accounta Christmas orders. 

Try callin  of a mornin before noon o'clock central time & talk to Miss Nikki.

Scrollsaw 703

8 hours ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

Man, readin all this chatter about the Hawk saws is like listenin to the news 'bout Trump!:(

I'm lookin' to buy a 20" Hawk. I just called'em on the phone & got all the information about the saw I needed.

They ain't a huge outfit like yer dewalts & such. They's a family owned & operated business. This time of year, they're busier'n a couple a tomcats in a gunny sack on accounta Christmas orders. 

Scrollsaw 703

Good LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Chatter you will see you have been thoroughly warned. 

On 12/18/2019 at 7:59 AM, Rolf said:

.....The EX @ 54 lbs vs 110 for the Hawk makes it my traveling saw.

I'm a bit younger than you I think, but that 54 lbs of awkward weight, though lighter than your Hawk, is still putting my back at risk everytime I move it.  Right now, it is my best option, so I'm dealing with it.  I do like that weight though, when I'm actually using it, and need the weight to stifle the vibration.  ------Randy

On 12/20/2019 at 3:32 AM, SCROLLSAW703 said:

Scrollsaw 703

Thank you,  your post makes me very happy. I am glad that they are active. I hope those Christmas orders are saws. !

Randy I am 71+ and yes that 54 lbs is still heavy and awkward to carry. But it is only one a year.

Edited by Rolf

On 12/18/2019 at 3:03 PM, octoolguy said:

Rolf, can you supply any info on your chair/stool that you use at the Hawk? If I decide to keep my Hawk, it might help to find the right chair. Everything at this point is dependent upon finding out what is happening with Bushton.

I have my saw set VERY high, different reasons. I bought a drafting stool from Office Depot. It is padded like an office chair, swivels, has 5 casters and a back. The casters are locking, which is good because I have to ‘hop’ up to the seat!  I love it. 

10 minutes ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

I got myself a barber's chair to sit at my saws. I can adjust the height easily to all three of my saws. After I installed casters on all of them, it made movin 'em around easier, & I never needed to move my sit down. 

scroll saw 703

Where'd ya find a barber's chair anyway?

Well I'm glad to hear they're still in business too... Love my Hawk saws. If I heard they was going to close up, I'd buy me a couple more saws and a handful of other parts that are wear parts.. front cam lever and extra clamps, and wedges etc.... Call me weird if you want to but I have yet used a better built saw..  Have not had the opportunity to try a Hegner yet.. But I've had my share of different saws.. so far if i could only have one saw.. It'd be a Hawk.. Like my Excalibur but not so much so that it'd be my "only one saw" choice.. Close 2nd though..  

I haven't had a chance to give them a call.. I need to pick up a few extra clamps for my BM-26 saw and some thumb screws for the older saw.. screws are good still but the plastic "wings" are cracked and brittle from age.. I know the hardware store should have some but since I'm placing an order I'll get them from Bushton..

Edited by kmmcrafts

I had two Hawks, a 16" and a 20" Both were wonderful saws. I sold the 16" and moved up to a 220vs Ultra. I sold the 20" when I found a $100 14" Hegner and a 18" Hegner for $300. The real reason of getting rid of the Hawk is the large footprint. My two Hegners take up less floor space than one 20" Hawk. As far as cutting goes both brands cut and functioned equally well. The three legged stand on the Hegner is a selling point for me. Fits so nicely into a corner.

I love my Hawk saws too. I have a hegner and a dewalt also and go to saws always have been the Hawks . But when they do not stock very simple non expensive parts and so far has taken over 3 months to get parts is not a good business no matter how you slice it. You buy a new saw today who knows if they will be in business tomorrow. So again buyer beware. When I bought the Hawks the company was well run and in charge. This is a kids show. I could care less how nice the lady is taking orders she is not making them or ordering parts. She answers the damn phone. I will put hammer down after the holiday. No more excuses. 

On 12/20/2019 at 3:32 AM, SCROLLSAW703 said:

Scrollsaw 703

Just curious when did the great lady on the phone tell you that you can have your saw?????????????????????????????