New to Scroll Sawing, from Detroit

Bwana Don

HI All

Brand new to scroll sawing. Don't even have a scroll saw yet. Me and my 15 yo make wooden/Azek fishing lures. We have been cutting them out on the band saw. Well I have been doing all the cutting. My 15 yo is high functioning autistic and I'm afraid to let him use the band saw. I am more comfortable with a scroll saw, which I think he can handle. He's a tad clumsy and doesn't always think ahead so I need to pick and choose the power tools he uses. He can use the oscillating spindle sander, small disk sander, and the small drill press with no issues. The scroll saw is a little slower and less aggressive so with a little supervision he should be fine.

Just need to find a good used Scroll Saw now. Oh, I just discovered Intrasia. A Steelhead would be a nice project for us.

BD

On 12/23/2019 at 6:50 PM, Bwana Don said:

HI All

Brand new to scroll sawing. Don't even have a scroll saw yet. Me and my 15 yo make wooden/Azek fishing lures. We have been cutting them out on the band saw. Well I have been doing all the cutting. My 15 yo is high functioning autistic and I'm afraid to let him use the band saw. I am more comfortable with a scroll saw, which I think he can handle. He's a tad clumsy and doesn't always think ahead so I need to pick and choose the power tools he uses. He can use the oscillating spindle sander, small disk sander, and the small drill press with no issues. The scroll saw is a little slower and less aggressive so with a little supervision he should be fine.

Just need to find a good used Scroll Saw now. Oh, I just discovered Intrasia. A Steelhead would be a nice project for us.

BD

Have him clamp the wood in a wood clamp on either the scrollsaw or band saw. If they over cut or make a mistake they cut the wood clamp and not themselves. By using a wood clamp, rather than a metal C clamp the blade hits wood, not metal. RJF

Edited by teachnlearn

12 hours ago, teachnlearn said:

Have him clamp the wood in a wood clamp on either the scrollsaw or band saw. If they over cut or make a mistake they cut the wood clamp and not themselves. By using a wood clamp, rather than a metal C clamp the blade hits wood, not metal. RJF

I just watched a video with Hans Meir, and watched him do this. Excellent idea.

Craigs list might be a good place to buy a pretty good saw,if money is an issue for you. Do not buy one that needs pinned blades or the HF saw. Go for DeWalt, on craigslist and be sure and hear it run and cut, if you do go to look at one. there are quite a few pretty good saws out there. so ask before you buy one. You will find that you will get a lot of responses about saws here.

Welcome to our world wide family

Dick

heppnerguy