Old & New - Scroll Saw Challenge

Travis

newold.png

This month's scroll saw challenge is about seeing how far we've come in our hobby.  Post a picture of your first project, and a picture of your most recent project.  This isn't about poking fun at where we began, but rather to celebrate how far we've come.  And when you post, let us know how you discovered scroll sawing.  It will be fun to see where we all got our start and where we are now.

1 hour ago, Jronn65 said:

I’ve posted these before so I guess these will look familiar to some.  That deer really needs some help!  I think I cut it around 2011, which is when I first started scrolling.  The Sue Mey nativity scene was cut just before Christmas.   

D53ED331-8625-4ADC-A36D-B26C13619ADB.jpeg

7778D626-F648-4DAA-8C44-9993E80F2681.jpeg

C8AF7FF1-B32D-4DA3-923A-270A70FABD4F.jpeg

All I can say is "WOW"! Great work.

1 hour ago, Foxfold said:

I got my 1st scrollsaw from Aldi's just over a year ago as I thought it might be interesting to try something new in my retirement. I was quite happy with it for a month or so then I discovered this forum and that was it. After seeing some of the amazing things that people cut on here, I bought a new saw and I've gone from silhouettes and simple cut outs to my beloved Gorilla.  I would never have imagined in a lifetime that I could do something like this. I'm totally addicted. 🤣

GorillaFinished.jpg

Foxfold plaque3.jpg

Brenda, you have come a very long way. Fantastic work.

I am way too far past this. I started 35+ years ago as a woodworker/scroller I was always interested in making things with my hands and working with my hands. Probably why I got into construction and worked as an electrician for 43 years. Worked with my Dad when I was 7 helping him restore our house and add a set of dormers on to provide for us kids. From then on I had the bug. I learned so much from him as I grew up. I always said if we had the tools that I have now back then we could have finished a lot quicker. But it made me appreciate what I have now. I use to go to many craft shows just to look at what people created with their hands and minds and that always fascinated me. Met a few scrollers and from there on I was hooked. It happened again about 15 years ago when I got into turning and another hobby was born. Have no photos of yesteryears and everyone has seen my latest napkin holders. That was the last scrolling project I did last year. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

14 minutes ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

I am way too far past this. I started 35+ years ago as a woodworker/scroller I was always interested in making things with my hands and working with my hands. Probably why I got into construction and worked as an electrician for 43 years. Worked with my Dad when I was 7 helping him restore our house and add a set of dormers on to provide for us kids. From then on I had the bug. I learned so much from him as I grew up. I always said if we had the tools that I have now back then we could have finished a lot quicker. But it made me appreciate what I have now. I use to go to many craft shows just to look at what people created with their hands and minds and that always fascinated me. Met a few scrollers and from there on I was hooked. It happened again about 15 years ago when I got into turning and another hobby was born. Have no photos of yesteryears and everyone has seen my latest napkin holders. That was the last scrolling project I did last year. 

JT, that explains so much. You cantankerous old fart! Thanks for posting.

13 hours ago, Steve Curtis said:

I started scroll sawing in 1988 sometime. Started off doing real simple fretwork ornaments that was in the scroll saw magazines. Today, I make at least 600 to 700 intarsia ornaments each Christmas. Along with lots of other stuff.

80679709_2463166480418238_8377144835366191104_o.jpg

77362573_2423459204388966_4643073510577537024_n.jpg

71840861_2314263098641911_8314022796233539584_n.jpg

Awesome work. I love them all.

3 minutes ago, Frank Pellow said:

Long before I had access to a scroll saw, I used a coping saw to do (almost) the same job.

The first project that I remember cutting with a coping saw was a simple jigsaw puzzle puppy and I made that as a present for my brother Bruce when I was about 7.  That's 70 years ago.  I don't have a photo, but this sketch that I found on the internet is close to what I used:

1555519417_copingsawpuppy.thumb.jpg.efade6ca341a987cbe40c019b6b4e40a.jpg

It shows that things don't really change much for me in spite of the years and all the new technologies, because the last scroll saw project that I completed is this one that I did for my sister Christine about two weeks ago:

263262819_DragonsandDripsforChristine-small.thumb.JPG.26db900f191ff7918b4b48de80af2644.JPG

It's beautiful!

On 1/2/2020 at 3:11 PM, Foxfold said:

I got my 1st scrollsaw from Aldi's just over a year ago as I thought it might be interesting to try something new in my retirement. I was quite happy with it for a month or so then I discovered this forum and that was it. After seeing some of the amazing things that people cut on here, I bought a new saw and I've gone from silhouettes and simple cut outs to my beloved Gorilla.  I would never have imagined in a lifetime that I could do something like this. I'm totally addicted. 🤣

GorillaFinished.jpg

Foxfold plaque3.jpg

On 1/2/2020 at 3:11 PM, Foxfold said:

GorillaFinished.jpg

Foxfold plaque3.jpg

Brenda, I think you started ahead of the curve!