Kind Of Scrolling I like edit 1/29

Scrappile

Late start, but some progress today.... Before I started scrolling, I drill all the rest of the holes today.  Have to take a lot of care, would be easy drill in the wrong spot, because the cut out parts are not black.  Glad to get that done because I was worried I would put holes where they should not be.  I am having a great time.  Drilling and scrolling I spent about 4.5 hours on it today.

IMG_4013.JPG

1 hour ago, dgman said:

Looking great Paul! I noticed you aren’t cutting the traditional cutting from the center out. Any particular reason?

Nope, just didn't.  Partly because I have never scrolled Maple before so I started along one side, and only drilled holes in about a 1" wide strip along one side.  Figured if I run into trouble with the maple, I could just cut off the part that I had drilled and cut, and save the rest for some other project.  Got started and just kept going around the outside.  I like cutting the Maple.  Also, I rarely start in the middle, now that I think of it.  Maybe it is my wood miser-ness..

3 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Nope, just didn't.  Partly because I have never scrolled Maple before so I started along one side, and only drilled holes in about a 1" wide strip along one side.  Figured if I run into trouble with the maple, I could just cut off the part that I had drilled and cut, and save the rest for some other project.  Got started and just kept going around the outside.  I like cutting the Maple.  Also, I rarely start in the middle, now that I think of it.  Maybe it is my wood miser-ness..

I understand. I’m sure you are finding that hard Maple is very easy to cut or at least it is for me. I love how the cut edges come out so smooth and even shiny. Although I’ve never stained Maple, it does take a topcoat very nicely.

On 1/21/2020 at 9:25 AM, JimErn said:

great work, I need to ask though, why did you start at the outside?  not finding fault, just wondering if there was a reason since I would started in the middle

6 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Sorry @JimErn I missed your question in your post.  Please see quote above....

Well, made it quite a ways this evening.  All the way around the outside except for some of the "veining" that I do with the 2/0 size spiral.  I just got tired again and you gotta know when to fold.... Know when to..... walk away....

The 4 larger areas not cut on the out side of the circle is because there are nails in them to hold the stacked wood together.  They are scrolled last.

IMG_4017.JPG

Edited by Scrappile

Your friend is certainly going to love this, Paul!
Amazing work!
Thanks for sharing and God Bless! Spirithorse        

I know there is only about 1/16th" difference in the two woods you are
using but, are you going to have to change the tabs when you make the
final cuts on the outside edges?
Just curious and wondered if you had considered that yet.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

1 hour ago, spirithorse said:

Your friend is certainly going to love this, Paul!
Amazing work!
Thanks for sharing and God Bless! Spirithorse        

I know there is only about 1/16th" difference in the two woods you are
using but, are you going to have to change the tabs when you make the
final cuts on the outside edges?
Just curious and wondered if you had considered that yet.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

Only on the 1/4" BB.  The patterns is sized for 3/16" and that is the thickness of the Maple.

Just now, Scrappile said:

The saw I use most, Hegner.  The Seyco would do it, I just am most comfortable with the Hegner, not sure why.

I know that I would not feel comfortable trying to do that cut on my Hawk. At least not yet. My comfort zone is on my EX. I was just wondering which of your saws was your most comfortable to you.