'Farm Truck' by Alex Fox -Layered version

Frank Pellow

This is made up of 6 layers of 3mm thick Baltic Birch Plywood.  Layers 2, 4, and 6 are stained with Saman water-based stain.

• the layer 2 colour  is Canadian Maple
  • the layer 4 colour is Walnut
  • the layer 6 colour is Dark Walnut

All the sawing was done with Flying Dutchman #1 Ultra Reverse blades and it took about 3 hours to cut.

The Rosseter-Pellow frame is made of 1/4 sawn White Oak and stained with Saman Black water-based stain.  After staining, the frame was sanded to give it a distressed appearance.

Everything is finished with 3 coats of semi-gloss clear rattle-can spray stuff.

Here is a photo of the layers before staining and assembly:

456989951_TruckandBarnLayeredbyAlexFox-01-Allcutin160minutes-small.thumb.JPG.e32772cb14be8cf3f30d34f3de733b5d.JPG

Here it is after staining and assembly:

1894248609_TruckandBarnLayeredbyAlexFox-02-Stainedandassembled-small.thumb.JPG.3543ef5a6112fc82e70d41c54f0129bd.JPG

And, here it is after framing:

1547464226_TruckandBarnLayeredbyAlexFox-03-Framed-small.thumb.jpg.455ea384592b80cc73669e25d11e6766.jpg

Unfortunately, the layering is hard to see in a two dimensional photo, but it is quite effective.

Edited by Frank Pellow

2 minutes ago, trackman said:

I really like the frame you made. Did you cut the curve inside corners after you put it together?

Thanks.  Yes, I cut the bevels using my router table after I assembled the frame.  If you are interested in making such frames yourself, contact me via email at fpellow@sympatico.ca and I will send you detailed step by step instructions.

27 minutes ago, Frank Pellow said:

Thanks.  Yes, I cut the bevels using my router table after I assembled the frame.  If you are interested in making such frames yourself, contact me via email at fpellow@sympatico.ca and I will send you detailed step by step instructions.

Frank,  i have sent you an email as well.  Hope you dont get overwhelmed 

45 minutes ago, alexfox said:

Nice cutting! Agree, that is why I make short video to show my customers how finished project will look like. 

my YouTube channel

Alex, the video helps somewhat and I did look at it before purchasing the pattern, but it is still two dimensional and I did not see the full effect until making the piece.  

As you can see, I used some of the same stains on both this piece and the fretwork Farm Truck piece.  Also, the frames that I made for them are similar.  I'm planning to hang them as a pair on a wall in my office.

On 10/8/2020 at 10:25 PM, barb.j.enders said:

Frank,  i have sent you an email as well.  Hope you dont get overwhelmed 

Barb, I sent you and three others the instructions.  My grandfather taught me the basic design of the Rosseter-Pellow frames that I use and I am happy to be able to pass his tips on to others.  

2 hours ago, Frank Pellow said:

Barb, I sent you and three others the instructions.  My grandfather taught me the basic design of the Rosseter-Pellow frames that I use and I am happy to be able to pass his tips on to others.  

Thank you Frank.  I received the email.  I have read the directions.  Hope to get a chance soon to try it out.  I don't have all the tools you use, so will have to do some improvising.

1 hour ago, barb.j.enders said:

Thank you Frank.  I received the email.  I have read the directions.  Hope to get a chance soon to try it out.  I don't have all the tools you use, so will have to do some improvising.

Barb, by no means ae all the tools that I use in the examples document necessary.  I've made this type of frame using hand tools only.

2 hours ago, barb.j.enders said:

So how does one make a rabbet in the wood without a router or table saw?

Back when my grandfather taught me, we used a backsaw with a rip blade (carefully):

2004786561_RipBacksaw.thumb.jpg.042ddee4c5a96031703b2dd1b7f54fc6.jpg

Another way is to glue two pieces of wood together.

Edited by Frank Pellow