What size blade?

ben2008

I'm going to try and make 3 of these for family members. One of my daughters saw this pattern and asked  if I could make 3  for her. I have not done many scroll saw fretwork patterns using BB. I will use 3 1/8" BB stacked plywood panels. What blade would you suggest for this? I'm thinking of a FD ultra reverse. Just can't decide which size. I'll be using my 21" EXCALIBUR.  All suggestions appreciated. Please don't suggest a spiral blade. I just cannot get used to those blades. Actually gave up on them a while ago.

Thanks in advance

Ben

Edited by ben2008

• ben2008 changed the title to What size blade?

I'd use a spiral blade number 2/0 😂 

BUT, since you hate the spirals a #1 or #3 Ultra reverse might work too, 🙂 Just take it easy on the fragile areas.. Not a huge fan of a reverse tooth ( especially UR ) with fine detail fretwork.. Those reverse teeth can get grabby and bust a portion out.. I've used them on work more fragile than this.. and running the EX is smooth so you should be fine with them..

I agree with Dan, FD UR #1's will work well for this.  I just finished cutting 1/2" stacks of BB ply for a boat load of ornaments and used the FD UR #1.  It's pretty much my go-to blade for fine fretwork in all but the thickest/hardest material.  The #3 will work a little better on the letters, as there are a lot more straight lines and the #3 will offer a little better control, but the #1 would work fine for those as well.

That is a really outststanding cut.   

Other than the work WELCOME the panel screames use a spiral blade.  I'd be using mostly a #1 Pegas spiral to cut it.

Probably a #3 Pegas mgt R for the Font. 

For only three layers of 1/8" BB ply, almost any blade you like will work  A #1 and/or #3 is probably you best bet although I would not hesitate to use a #2/0 for some of the smaller detail areas.

Just remember, when the panel gets thicker...push slower and let the blade do the work!

Edited by FrankEV

Thanks everyone for the comments, suggestion, tips etc. Looks like I'll use a #3 FD UR as my 1st choice for most of it and switch to a #1 for the smaller areas. I should be starting this later this week or early next week. Still finishing a few other projects for now.

What a great and friendly forum this is. Glad I joined not long ago.

Thanks again

Ben

Edited by ben2008