Production Cutting what saw?

Devin Wilson

You know what I wish @Rockytime@scrappile, @kmmcrafts, I wish we all lived next door to each other. I would love to hang out with the 3 of you and pick your brains. You guys are my heroes. I remember back when I first joined the Village, it was you 3 and John the clock man who were always there to answer my dumb questions. Thanks guys. 

1 minute ago, octoolguy said:

You know what I wish @Rockytime@scrappile, @kmmcrafts, I wish we all lived next door to each other. I would love to hang out with the 3 of you and pick your brains. You guys are my heroes. I remember back when I first joined the Village, it was you 3 and John the clock man who were always there to answer my dumb questions. Thanks guys. 

I'm glad you like my DUMB answers!

4 minutes ago, Rockytime said:

5 minutes ago, Rockytime said:

I've been called worse!,,, but yep it would be so fun to get together and, well, sip a little Jameson and talk scrolling.  I have gotten together with two other members and one none member to talk,  Heppnerguy called me just a few day ago,,, I cherish those calls.  We talked for some time... Only thing that could be better is if we could visit more often in person..  It is a great time...  wish we could some how have a great gathering of members... what  a fun time that would be...

Maybe we should have a call list or something.... those that wanted could list their phone number somewhere and and members could call each other and get acquainted and talk... I guess we could do that through messages,,, but voice is better and a Zoom setup would next awesome!!  Is it possible to set up a Zoom session without invading anyone privacy??  I do not understand how to do all this stuff..

Would certainly be entertaining to listen to you all talk.. I'll have to ask my son about the whole zoom thing. He does it for school.. he doesn't have cameras set up on his computer so nobody sees him they only hear him.. more like a voice chat type for him anyway.. He has rigged his phone up to video himself as a camera and send the signal through wifi to his computer and then out to the zoom class.. He's good with computer stuff like that.. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2021 at 8:24 AM, NC Scroller said:

This is not a slap against anyone because I am a guilty as everyone else but we scrollers try to get blood out of a stone.  I worked in manufacturing.  Machine hours / cycles were tracked and maintenance was done on a regular basis. Sometimes is was simple and sometimes it was a complete overhaul.  Beyond that we knew that every machine had a life expectancy.  If you are going to run a business and do production work tool replacement and overhauls have to be figured in as the norm.  Most scroll saws are not designed for true production work. They are hobby tools.  Hegner probably is the closest to a production machine but even they need to be maintained.  Hegners cost about $1,800 new.  Most of us, l include myself, are not willing to lay out that kind of money. 

Devin, I wish you all the best in your search.  If you are running a business I would suggest have more than one saw.  Murphy 's Law is alive and well.

I think you are exactly right. I am guilty myself . 

I have Really Enjoyed reading all of You alls posts.  Learned a thing or two, but bets saw

Hands down is the Hegner.  Mine was made back in 1998 and the majority of my Scrolling

has been many hours per day.  Still purrs....  Just my 2 cents...........Oh yea have had Deltas, Dewalts and Hiachi

All lasted a couple years or less.  Danny  :+}

I have owned my Hegner Multi-Max 22V for 13 years.  Like others have said they have a few short comings but most are easily overcome.  If reliability is what your looking for I don't think there is a better choice and parts are readily available.  In 13 years I have not had to replace any parts.  Now granted I am not a production cutter but my Hegner has completed many many projects.  I can't speak to other brand saws quality as I have never owned them.  

Edited by stoney

8 hours ago, Terry Jay said:

My sense of saw ranking after 13 years on forums:

Hegner

Others:  DeWalt Type 1, Excalibur from Seyco. Hawk G4

If you like bowls or top feeding, Excalibur, then DeWalt.

Don't forget that Hawk G4 (2005 and later saws ) are top or bottom feed saws as well.. 

I'm coming in late to the discussion but I have a 12 year old Hawk and the ONLY issue has been their crappy thumb screws. 😝 

Only upgrade has been buying better blades.  I started with discount bundles and well, you guys all know the result of those! 

Good luck with what ever you choose and also good luck with your business.  Russ

I no longer do any production style cutting but would not recommend the Pegas.  The one I have would not work for that kind of cutting.  I have an old Type I DeWalt that works great but I've heard they have problems with the newer ones.  Most of my production work was done on a Delta Q3 that I bought new about 94 and it performed well.  I finally sold it a couple of years ago and think it is still going.