Tips or plans for a stand for my Dewalt I can use with a regular height chair?

Zephyr

Howdy! I'm considering building a stand for my Dewalt scroll saw this weekend that will work well with a regular height chair. I have the factory stand that works well for standing and bar height chairs, but doesn't lower enough for a regular chair.  

I'm looking to set up a small scroll saw area in my john deere room and I'd prefer to use my office size chair. My biggest concern is it being sturdy/heavy enough to not create any issues with vibration.

I'd love to see/hear if anyone has built something like this or maybe a link to plans they'd recommend?

I built a rolling cart for mine. However, it's not necessarily "regular" chair height

IMO as long as you build your stand solid, the vibrations should be minimal if at all

I believe @octoolguy posted plans for short stand a while ago made out of 2x4's I believe

Looked pretty solid.

May want to do a search

Here I think is a pic of a stand that looks quite sturdy

583716135_review13TomCocks.jpg.93645b5f06fec2ee40a826037bd65a75.jpg

I've built 3 stands for my different saws. The first one was for my Dewalt and I posted the plans above. The second and third were built using 4 legs and a hinged top so that I could adjust the angle of the table. I incorporated 7 inch wheels from Harbor Freight so that I could roll them out the shop door to my driveway. That is a 6 inch drop and I also made a ramp. Here are pics of both styles. They are all very solid and when they are in my shop, this sit on the rubber foam flooring from Harbor Freight. No vibration at all. When I sold the Dewalt, the stand went with it and I stay in touch with the buyer. She says it's holding up well. On the two with wheels, I added a piece of 1 1/2" pvc pipe along both sides of the cart. Then I put a piece of 1" pvc pipe the same length inside of the 1 1/2" that would slide in and out. I added a cap to the inner pipe. With the inner one slid all the way in, I drilled a 1/4" hole through both pieces for a pin bolt to hold them in place. Then I pulled the inner one out about 18" and drilled through the existing hole to put a second hole in the inner piece. Now I can slide the inner piece out, slip the pin through both and I have "wheelbarrow" handles to move it around. Works great. What I'm doing now is building in a dust collection system for each saw that is totally self-contained using a MetroVac 500 and the little cyclone that is available from Amazon. I installed the cyclone in a stainless steel coffed canister with a flip top lid. I'm almost done with the first one. Yesterday, I built the piping for the saw using LocLine fittings over and under the table. I think it's going to work great. I'll be able to move either saw outdoors and have a dust control system right onboard. More pics to follow.

20180908_112800.thumb.jpg.e12c202ba2aa8047ae45d044ea6f8366.jpg20190320_143748.thumb.jpg.57a6afdc01397d6b8b319cbbe9edb7a0.jpg

Edited by octoolguy

1 hour ago, Zephyr said:

I found it here! Looks solid and just what I need. I'll do some measurements so I get the height dialed in nicely. 

When/if you build this stand, before you start, determing whether you want to have two legs where you sit or just one. I reversed the plan so that I could straddle the single leg. I found that more comfortable. For me at least. 

I had one of those workmate bench vice things.  Its a collapsible bench that sears sold years ago.  I just put my saw on top of it.  Put a board under it to attach it to.  

I use a regular folding chair.  works great.  it is a bot wobbly though but i never saw at high speed so its not an issue. I have a dewalt saw.

Edited by crupiea

On 2/24/2021 at 12:58 PM, Zephyr said:

...I'm looking to set up a small scroll saw area in my john deere room... 

I'm sure you will find plans for a stand that will work.   

However, in reading the above included in the text, it remines me of what I did when I started scrolling.  Created my shop in a very small shed.  All was fine in the begining and just thought I could sweep up the sawdust and cuttings and all would be fine.  After a few months, my small space was covered with sawdust top to bottom and no amount of sweeping or even using a shop vac to clean up worked.  Scrolling is realy, realy a major dust producing craft. 

I hope you have thought about that and the space has good ventilation and the possibility to install some kind of dust collection system.  I learned the hard way and have now a small system that works great.  My shop is still quite dusty from the work I did in the past, but as time goes by I get to clean a lot of the nooks and crannies where the dust has collected.    

On 2/24/2021 at 1:41 PM, octoolguy said:

I've built 3 stands for my different saws. The first one was for my Dewalt and I posted the plans above. The second and third were built using 4 legs and a hinged top so that I could adjust the angle of the table. I incorporated 7 inch wheels from Harbor Freight so that I could roll them out the shop door to my driveway. That is a 6 inch drop and I also made a ramp. Here are pics of both styles. They are all very solid and when they are in my shop, this sit on the rubber foam flooring from Harbor Freight. No vibration at all. When I sold the Dewalt, the stand went with it and I stay in touch with the buyer. She says it's holding up well. On the two with wheels, I added a piece of 1 1/2" pvc pipe along both sides of the cart. Then I put a piece of 1" pvc pipe the same length inside of the 1 1/2" that would slide in and out. I added a cap to the inner pipe. With the inner one slid all the way in, I drilled a 1/4" hole through both pieces for a pin bolt to hold them in place. Then I pulled the inner one out about 18" and drilled through the existing hole to put a second hole in the inner piece. Now I can slide the inner piece out, slip the pin through both and I have "wheelbarrow" handles to move it around. Works great. What I'm doing now is building in a dust collection system for each saw that is totally self-contained using a MetroVac 500 and the little cyclone that is available from Amazon. I installed the cyclone in a stainless steel coffed canister with a flip top lid. I'm almost done with the first one. Yesterday, I built the piping for the saw using LocLine fittings over and under the table. I think it's going to work great. I'll be able to move either saw outdoors and have a dust control system right onboard. More pics to follow.

20180908_112800.thumb.jpg.e12c202ba2aa8047ae45d044ea6f8366.jpg20190320_143748.thumb.jpg.57a6afdc01397d6b8b319cbbe9edb7a0.jpg

Here are some more pics of my creation.

20210224_154914.jpg

20210224_154929.jpg

20210224_154939.jpg

20210224_155013.jpg

20210224_155032.jpg

20210224_155045.jpg

20210224_155133.jpg

20210224_163304.jpg

20210224_163340.jpg

13 minutes ago, Rockytime said:

Looks very neat and tidy! Looks very efficient. Great photos.

The first pic of my EX 21 with the wheels outboard is going to get the Oreck vac. We'll see how that works out. A lot bigger unit to contend with. Both stands are identical in size/shape but I mounted the wheels on the EX 16 inboard to cut down on the footprint. I may move them outboard if it seems unstable. They both move around very easy with my wheelbarrow handles. I like the idea of having one that I can do marquetry on and keep the table tilted while being able to make stuff on the other one in a conventional manner.

On 2/24/2021 at 2:29 PM, Joe W. said:

I recently made a 3-legged stand using a 4x4 and 2x4s.  It turned out solid and I installed retractable casters which makes it easy to move around.  Got the casters from Amazon for about approx. $35 for a set of four.  Found the plans online.  Good luck.

This is brilliant. Gonna make two of them this weekend as I'm planning getting a second saw sometime soon. Thanks Joe

On 2/25/2021 at 2:34 PM, FrankEV said:

I hope you have thought about that and the space has good ventilation and the possibility to install some kind of dust collection system.  

This is good advice and I'm rethinking my setup. My saw is currently in the same shop I do chainsaw carving, so I gave up on perfect dust control in there. I may have underestimated the dust control needed in my basement room. I'll scour this forum and see what others have done. thank you!

On 2/25/2021 at 5:55 PM, octoolguy said:

Here are some more pics of my creation.

This is amazing. I think I like building things for my shop as much as making things in my shop. Now I need to go to the boss to discuss increasing my budget ;)

How quiet is your dust collection setup? I'll be in the basement, but I do most of my work after everyone has gone to bed.

On 2/24/2021 at 2:34 PM, Scrappile said:

Can you adjust/cut the original stand legs to lower them....?

Seems obvious now that you say that. I was going to build two to accommodate a future saw purchase, but I may just see how well I like the first build. If I'm being honest about my patience level, bring out the angle grinder is not out of the question at all. Brilliant Scrappile. 

I had some bad vibrations problems that I solved with good, solid structure and mass.  My original stand looked like an I beam made from 3/4" BB plywood.  The top flexed too much and caused wicked vibrations at certain speeds.  

My new stand has a top made from 2x4 laminated together butcher block style.  It doesn't flex and is heavy.  I built a cabinet frame from 2x4 and skinned it with 1/4 ply.  Its on casters for ease of movement.  If you go the 4 caster/leg route be dead certain they are even or use adjustable feet.  Its heavy enough and rigid enough that no more vibrations occur; and the cabinet underneath has a big storage space and a drawer for holding blades.  

Here is the scroll cart I made, works very well.  It is solid, heavy, mobile and has plenty of storage.

If I was to make one again I think I would set the saw farther out the front so I could roll my chair completely under the front of the saw.

Scroller cart 1.jpg

Scroller cart 2.jpg

Scroller cart 4.jpg

Edited by Davevand
picture update

31 minutes ago, Davevand said:

Here is the scroll cart I made, works very well.  It is solid, heavy, mobile and has plenty of storage.

If I was to make one again I think I would set the saw farther out the front so I could roll my chair completely under the front of the saw.

Scroller cart 1.jpg

Scroller cart 2.jpg

Scroller cart 4.jpg

Very nice. I'd be careful of moving your saw too far forward. It may be unstable and tip on you. An experiment that makes sense though. I'll be waiting for a follow-up.

• 2 years later...