Loon

Denny Knappen

30 minutes ago, Denny Knappen said:

A project finished Monday. This is a Steve Good pattern. I used 1/4" solid Walnut and backed with 3/8" Baltic Birch plywood. I used 3/8" so that it would hold the hanger without going through the wood. Cut on the Pegas Scroll Saw using #1R MGT blades on all interior cuts and #3R on the exterior cuts. The finish is one coat spray Shellac as a sanding sealer. Then two coats MinWax Lacquer Clear Satin, sanding in between coats. I should have used 1/8" so that the white would show through the Walnut. 150 holes. Comments welcome.

Loon 032321.JPG

I saw this one on Steve's page. I thought it would make an interesting project. You proved my thoughts to be correct. Looking good

Dick

heppnerguy

1 minute ago, FrankEV said:

It is a great piece.  Very well done.

I concur, thiner cut panel would have been visualy better.  I have found that to be a truism for most fretcut projects where the background needs to show through.

Thanks Frank.  I didn't have a piece of 1/8" Walnut.  I should have stained Baltic Birch plywood.  I still like the look of the Walnut.

3 hours ago, Denny Knappen said:

Thanks Frank.  I didn't have a piece of 1/8" Walnut.  I should have stained Baltic Birch plywood.  I still like the look of the Walnut.

I often use the Walnut 5/32" purebond Solid Core ply I get fron HD.  Add some Walnut stain and it even look better.  Finishes beautifuly.