1/5 So what kind of saw do you use?

Christina

I'm using a 16" Craftsman scroll saw bought with Christmas, Birthday, and Father's Day gift cards. :D Some people like the Craftsman, other have had nothing but trouble. I'm in the camp that is pretty happy with his saw. 'Course if somebody offered me a Dewalt (or heaven forbid, an Excalibur, Hawk or the like), I certainly wouldn't pass on the offer! But for the money, my Craftsman does pretty well!

I have a Craftsman Series Scroll Saw.

http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/498

Here is a Link to a Review of my Scroll Saw on Lumberjocks.

Which brings me to something else... Travis, you may think about Putting a Section in for Scroll Saw Reviews, I think this may catch a Few Eyes, and also What to look for, For first time buyers and the likes....

This would be a Great Resource to provide for the newly interested Scrollers

I have a Craftsman Series Scroll Saw.

http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/498

Here is a Link to a Review of my Scroll Saw on Lumberjocks.

Which brings me to something else... Travis, you may think about Putting a Section in for Scroll Saw Reviews, I think this may catch a Few Eyes, and also What to look for, For first time buyers and the likes....

This would be a Great Resource to provide for the newly interested Scrollers

Thanks for the suggestion. I've thought about putting in a tool section but decided against it. I'm trying to be careful about not spreading the information/discussion too thin between forums. I think the General Scroll Sawing forum is most appropriate for tool discussion. So if you have a review to share or would like to recommend a tool, feel free to discuss! But please be civil. People are very passionate about their tools. ;)

For those who are in the market for a scroll saw, you can check out the Scroll Saw Goodies Podcast on Choosing A Scroll Saw.

This is a great thread. Lets keep it going! What are you using to make sawdust in your shop?

This is a very interesting thread to me lololol.............because I really hate my Rigid! I want to get a new one............when I can afford it but not sure what kind. I'd love to get an Excaliber or Dewalt.............but I can't see me being able to afford that any time soon! But I have thought about a Craftsman or Dremel.............which do you think is better?

Christina

This is a very interesting thread to me lololol.............because I really hate my Rigid! I want to get a new one............when I can afford it but not sure what kind. I'd love to get an Excaliber or Dewalt.............but I can't see me being able to afford that any time soon! But I have thought about a Craftsman or Dremel.............which do you think is better?

Christina

A Dewalt is certainly my next saw (I can't afford the others). But it looks like it does a fantastic job and heard nothing but good things about it. I'll have to save my pennies for awhile before upgrading, though.

I really like my Craftsman 16". Some people like them, other people have had nothing but trouble. But it has done pretty well for me. The other Craftsman saws (18") I've heard only bad things about, but no personal experience.

I've read only good things about the Dremel, though. Seems like people really like it for an inexpensive saw. Anybody else have any experience with the Dremel?

i started out with a hitachi, and i wore the switch out in 3 weeks, then i took it back to lowes and got another one, then i knew i needed another one, because my wife wanted to use it, as much as i wanted to. then i had some good luck, seen a ad for a 20" excalibur, it is 5 years old, anyway got it with a stand for 130.00 and it works great. i dont even use the hitachi anymore. but i have a backup if i need one.

My first saw was a single speed Delta, second was a two speed Delta which vibrated so much that even after bolting it to the work bench, every thing vibrated some. Third saw was a variable speed Delta, a nice saw but kinda wore it out. I retired in 2005 and sold some test equipment and bought an EX 21. It is really one nice saw.

Fran

My first saw was a cheap nock off from Menard's cant even recall the brand but it was the same as the Ryobe models. used it to do one project and broke the blade clamp. then i bought a cheap craftsman saw it was junk didnt even use it to do one project and took it to the auction, yes it was that bad i owned it for 1 week. i now own the dewalt saw which is a great saw except for one issue and thats the table tilt its only mounted in 2 places in the rear it uses a pin and in the front the slot for the tilt which has alot of slop. meaning it has alittle play in the table. other then that its great saw

I have the Dewalt and I Love It. Just before Christmas I started scroll sawing again with a Skill Scroll Saw from Lowes. I was cutting a 4 stack of ornaments out of Baltic Birch. I had only been using the same blade when about halfway through I heard a pop on the back of the saw andthen within a couple seconds the blade snapped. I placed another blade in and readjusted and with in a few seconds broke another this went on for several bladess before I was able to complete the stack. I ended up breaking 10 blades because the saw would not stay in adjustment. I returned it to Lowes and bought the Dewalt with Stand from Amazon. Now I can use a blade till it gets pretty dull.

Leo

I have the Dewalt and I Love It. Just before Christmas I started scroll sawing again with a Skill Scroll Saw from Lowes. I was cutting a 4 stack of ornaments out of Baltic Birch. I had only been using the same blade when about halfway through I heard a pop on the back of the saw andthen within a couple seconds the blade snapped. I placed another blade in and readjusted and with in a few seconds broke another this went on for several bladess before I was able to complete the stack. I ended up breaking 10 blades because the saw would not stay in adjustment. I returned it to Lowes and bought the Dewalt with Stand from Amazon. Now I can use a blade till it gets pretty dull.

Leo

LOL...If that happened to me, I'm not sure Lowe's would take it back, because after the 5th time, I'd throw it out the window! :eye: