3M-77 Spray Adhesive

TAIrving

Danish oil seems to be another product that is hard to find.. at least in gallon cans.. I finally broke down and bought a couple quarts a few weeks back just in case those go scarce too, LOL.. I've been waiting a couple months for the gallons to be restocked.. Last fall I was getting low on adhesive spray and happen to see it at the hardware on sale so I picked up a can.. should be good on that for another year or more since I rarely use it.

I've used 3M 45 and liked it but Amazon sells it for $16.23. 3M77 is $10.09 so I ordered two. 3M is confusing. there are several different 3M 77 sellong for over $30 per can. I have no idea what the different ones are for. I liked 3M 45 but Im using 3M 77 because it's cheaper. Both seem to work foe me.

When I ran out of it I tried several other brands. Elmers, Alenes, Gorilla Spray. They all did what they claimed, but had patterns lifting on me. Gorilla seemed to be worst for lifting although removing the pattern was super easy. Alenes held the best and had a good spray pattern to it. Elmers also did a pretty job. When Super 77 became availibe again I bought 4 cans . You could not find 45 either. I'm thinking Lowes discontinued it. They have very little listed on their web site dealing with 3M in the glue department. I have 2 Home depots very close to me. One stocks the 77 now and the other doesn't seem to. Strange

• 2 weeks later...

Just went to all the stores in my area - 45 and 77 both out of stock

I ordered some from Amaz but according to delivery won't get here until Jun 13 - Jul 6 LOL

There were a bunch of different vendors for 45 on Amaz with pricing ranging from 9.95 (which I bought) to 31.95 - walmart price 25.95 - it's insane

I have some old Elmer's I can use in the meantime and just ordered an additional craft adhesive to try since it was only $6

Something's going on - Inflation? Other?

Anyone try Loctite spray  adhesive?

Edited by new2woodwrk

I ordered 3M-77 May 4 for $9.35. Free shipping with Prime. Delivery estimate July 6. I started to repeat the order and the price is now 2 for $29.00. Have no idea what is happening. I'm OK till July but I found aan Elmer's spray adhesive I've had for several years. Sadly it would no longer spray. I have no idea what is going on. I may have to go to a dollar store to see if there something cheap that will work.

I went to Office Max this am for a new keyboard and inquired about 3M 77. There it was 1 can of 77 for $19.35. I grabbed it, went to the counter  and realized it was Scotch brand. I bought it anyway. At home reading the fine print it is 3M. Im set. 1 is arriving July 6 or 7 for $9.75 from Amazon. I tried ordering but the price suddenly went up to over $19.

16214466408458333015708057244039.jpg

16214466836642982424027333274231.jpg

2 hours ago, Rockytime said:

I went to Office Max this am for a new keyboard and inquired about 3M 77. There it was 1 can of 77 for $19.35. I grabbed it, went to the counter  and realized it was Scotch brand. I bought it anyway. At home reading the fine print it is 3M. Im set. 1 is arriving July 6 or 7 for $9.75 from Amazon. I tried ordering but the price suddenly went up to over $19.

16214466408458333015708057244039.jpg

16214466836642982424027333274231.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, you can get the 3m 77 from Amaz for the same price within 2 days

Edited by new2woodwrk

When this topic was rasied a while back in another post, I was able to order a 6 pack of the 16.75 oz 3M Super 77 Multi-Purpose Sparay Adheasive -77-24 at somewhere around $7 a can.  I can't find where I ordered it from but in looking I found you can order it from Home Depot for $10.27/can.   Amazon price is over $23/can and you must buy two. 

Here is a PDF of the HD page: 3M 16.75 oz. Super 77 Multi-Purpose Spray Adhesive-77-24 - The Home Depot.pdf

On 5/16/2021 at 4:34 PM, new2woodwrk said:

Just went to all the stores in my area - 45 and 77 both out of stock

I ordered some from Amaz but according to delivery won't get here until Jun 13 - Jul 6 LOL

There were a bunch of different vendors for 45 on Amaz with pricing ranging from 9.95 (which I bought) to 31.95 - walmart price 25.95 - it's insane

I have some old Elmer's I can use in the meantime and just ordered an additional craft adhesive to try since it was only $6

Something's going on - Inflation? Other?

Anyone try Loctite spray  adhesive?

The American dollar is not worth much now. 

Update:

I ordered 3 3m 45 @ $9.98 to be delivered in July - just received an update the shipment came in early and the delivery date was changed from July to 5-24-21 so it will be here Monday

However, it appears 3m 45 is gone from Amaz now for the most part (replaced by the $19 can) and is now sold as a pair

Good luck

Switched from 3M to Aillene's Repositionable for a spray glue some years ago. It is readily available through Walmart, Amazon, and the hobby/craft stores.

It sticks well - I've had it on the board for a few days without it drying out and lifting. And I don't need to soak is in mineral spirits or anything to peel it off.

For small quick pattern glue-ups, I'll use the Scotch prepositional glue sticks -   available on Amazon. That will dry and start lifting/peeling after being on the board a day or two.