need a Lightbox

Uncle Ricky

If this need for a light box is for tracing.... 

make a wooded frame using 1x2. 

cut plywood for bottom and paint white.

A better bottom would a aluminum 1/16 inch thick but not needed.

apply led strips to bottom.

Attach 1/4" plexiglas OR glass to top. 

Led strip choice.  all white leds are not same color of white.  colors are described as a number with a K.  4000k is a very good white.  Also called neutral white.   

5000k looks bluish.

3500k looks a bit yellow.

The size of glass top might need some middle support. if needed get clear plexiglass 1/4"  square pieces from plywood to bottom of glass. polish the support pieces top using 2000 grit.

here is an amazon link for cheap led strips.

you can also mount leds strips on inside of frame for less glaring indirect light.

https://www.amazon.com/Kebinfen-Natural-Non-Waterproof-Flexible-Multifunctional/dp/B06Y67D1JH/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=white+led+light+strips+4000k&qid=1631465394&sr=8-7

if you used clear plexiglass for top and it is too clear then you can lightly sand top with 600 grit to give frosted light dispersing top.

1 hour ago, Scrappile said:

4" deep seem pretty narrow for a lightbox to take pictures of something in...  Guess we need more detail.

Well, I was thinking the same thing.. which is why I was really confused. Your idea of a lightbox makes much more sense.. Never would have thought of that one...

I have flat led panel light in my garage.  Here is a link for flat 2x2 ft.  with 4000k.  I have 2ft x 4ft different brands.   I bought mine from home depot. 

https://www.amazon.com/Panel-Light-4000K-Ceiling-Dimmable/dp/B08GYMQX3D/ref=asc_df_B08GYMQX3D/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=487296721115&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4863919218002314782&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032140&hvtargid=pla-1103180866736&psc=1

Ok extra bonus about a LED lights.  I am in 3 percent of the population group that can see 120hz light pulsing.  this is twice the ac wall frequency.  Some led lights have ac line frequency that pulses the leds.  These kind light can be annoying to me, and if the use 60hz it can give me a sea sick feeling. There is rules that led lights (or any light) should not be pulsed with frequency lower than 300Hz. But cheap led lights manufactures don't bother. It is less electronics inside thus making cheesier lighting.

I am an electronic engineer that designed led light electronics circuits.  When my company started cheesing out and made pulsing drivers I quit. Then they went out of business.  :)

34 minutes ago, preprius said:

I have flat led panel light in my garage.  Here is a link for flat 2x2 ft.  with 4000k.  I have 2ft x 4ft different brands.   I bought mine from home depot. 

https://www.amazon.com/Panel-Light-4000K-Ceiling-Dimmable/dp/B08GYMQX3D/ref=asc_df_B08GYMQX3D/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=487296721115&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4863919218002314782&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032140&hvtargid=pla-1103180866736&psc=1

Ok extra bonus about a LED lights.  I am in 3 percent of the population group that can see 120hz light pulsing.  this is twice the ac wall frequency.  Some led lights have ac line frequency that pulses the leds.  These kind light can be annoying to me, and if the use 60hz it can give me a sea sick feeling. There is rules that led lights (or any light) should not be pulsed with frequency lower than 300Hz. But cheap led lights manufactures don't bother. It is less electronics inside thus making cheesier lighting.

I am an electronic engineer that designed led light electronics circuits.  When my company started cheesing out and made pulsing drivers I quit. Then they went out of business.  :)

Ha, there is a third "light box" that I would not have thought of... Guess we need more info on what @Uncle Ricky needs...  Guess a fourth could be a lighted box with a scene in it that you set in a table or something... 3' x 4' would be a big one for that...

On 9/12/2021 at 1:47 PM, preprius said:

I used to do a lot of scroll sawing live videos using my iPhone as the camera.. The new LED bulbs I put on my magnifier lights make black lines and shadows in my videos and make them basically unviewable.. I don't see this with the naked eye but the camera sure picks up the pulse. I've been going to buy a standard Fluorescent bulb to put into one of my magnifiers so I can get back to doing videos of me sawing.. I'm wondering if this is what you are seeing with the naked eye somewhat.. some of these LED bulbs I do see really fast flickering.. most times I don't notice it.. kind of like when the fluorescents start going bad they sometimes flicker. 

6 hours ago, preprius said:

so when you go to buy the new led fixtures / bulbs  take a video to see if they have strobe effect.  Before you buy them. :)

Doesn't work when mail ordering them because no stores around here have the odd sized one with the right angle plug in part that works in my light fixture.. This is a great idea though.. not sure how the store lighting might also affect the video too.. most all the stores in my area have switched to LED strip lights too so it might give a false reading on the video anyway..

All mains-driven lighting flickers. Flicker is more visible in LEDs because they do not have the persistence of other types of lighting. You can mitigate LED flicker by using quality drivers and avoiding dimmable LED drivers that work by pulsing. Notice that battery-powered LEDs do not flicker.

Google LED flicker will get you more info on this than you can read.

22 minutes ago, OCtoolguy said:

What is a light box? I'm picturing something similar to a downdraft sanding box but with a clear or opaque top that allows light to come through so that you could lay a pattern on top of it and do a tracing. Am I on the right track?

Hahaha, Oh boy here is another example of a lightbox.. I think we all need to stay away from this topic until the original poster replies back with more specifics on what they need. There have been 4,5 or 6 different opinions on what a light box is, LOL.. Then there is talk about light bulbs on this topic. 

I will say.. your idea of a light box sounds like it could be useful.. maybe we need to continue on with this subject. :) 

On 9/18/2021 at 1:44 AM, OCtoolguy said:

Wait a minute, we still don't know what you are looking for. How about an explanation?

It's a box with four sides and one side has a 'picture' of something scrolled out.  You put lights inside and put lid on.  It can act like a night light. They are very popular on some FB sites.

light box.jpg

box.jpg

Edited by Foxfold

@Foxfold, Brenda as shown above there are actually lots of items known as a “light box.” There is the type you show, then there is the “light box” used in photography like these on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=light+box+photography&crid=3DEB3B1PWFMTI&sprefix=Light+box%2Caps%2C211&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_9 and there are these that are used for tracing images https://www.amazon.com/s?k=light+box+for+tracing&crid=3Q4D36NVKP1M3&sprefix=light+box%2Caps%2C215&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_4_9 and then there is a “light box” used to help depression or seasonal affective disorder (SAD) like shown here: https://www.verywellhealth.com/what-is-light-box-therapy-3015255

then the OP said he needed a pattern for a light box that is 4” x 3ft x 4 ft. Which is pretty big box thus the confusion on what he wanted help with. Given the size he indicated, I don’t think it’s the type you have shown. Usually those are made to sit on a table top aren’t they? Given his requested size, the only one of these that would make sense that big is the light box used to take photos. However, without @Uncle Ricky giving us more details, everyone is making a guess as to what he in fact needed. I do love those table top lantern style light boxes you have shown. Have you made any? I have some I would like to make someday.