Spray adhesive 3m 45

rjweb

@kmmcrafts

I figure paper cost is less than $0.01 per page for me, but it is hard to figure out the cost of spray adhesive. I, too, factor the cost into my pricing. For me, fast and easy is the goal.

I try every method of attaching patterns that I run across. So far, I like attaching to the wood directly and removing the patterns with solvent the best. It's cheap, fast, and does not damage the wood, with the only downside I see is that I need to wait for the mineral spirits to evaporate. If the labels are removable with mineral sprits. Labels might wind up being my go-to method. Spray adhesive is messy, expensive, and getting hard to find.

I tried shelf liner. On a recent project, I used almost an entire roll. I did not like it. I found it difficult to apply due to the tendency to curl and a pain to cut, but the main thing I did not like was that it would sometimes leave a sticky residue on the wood that I had to remove with mineral spirits. If I have to clean it, I might as well stick the patterns on the wood and be done with it.

@BadBob

Only time I've had any issues with residual from the shelf liner is when I've had a project setting a period of time.. then it even came off kind of hard. Most all the time I apply the liner I'm cutting the project the same day or next day and peeling the liner back off within 2-3 days at most.. Temps make a difference too.. If I put the stuff on and it gets the sun shining through the window and heats it up.. then when I peel it off in cooler temps.. it's like the heat melted the glue into the wood grain.. Happens from time to time but not very often for me.. Your climate in your area or your shop getting hot during the day etc. might make the issue worst. 

11 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Your climate in your area or your shop getting hot during the day etc. might make the issue worst. 

It's 80 to 90 degrees in my shop six months or more out of the year. Heat may have been a factor. The shelf liner wasn't on the wood for more than 48 hours.

Went to my local Ace Hardware yesterday... looking specifically for 3M 77 Super... They had none but they had 4 cans of 3M 77 (no "Super" on the label) and one can of 45.  Not wanting to be accused of being a hoarder,,, I took 3 cans of the 77 and the one of the 45.  I left one can of 77 for the next person (I am such a swell guy). I tried the 45 yesterday,, and could tell no difference between it and the 77 Super I have used for years..  What works works..  Went to the plywood store today where I normally buy my BB... They did not has 1/4" but a pretty good stack of 1/8", which I rarely use..  I purchased 2 sheets of the 1/8" at $19. ea.. just in case.. I think that is real close to what I have paid in the past... I have another place to check for 1/4".. but I have land taxes to pay this month... humm.  guess I had better ease up on the hoarding a little.

But hey,  Welcome to the new USofA. 

Edited by Scrappile

1 hour ago, Scrappile said:

Went to my local Ace Hardware yesterday... looking specifically for 3M 77 Super... They had none but they had 4 cans of 3M 77 (no "Super" on the label) and one can of 45.  Not wanting to be accused of being a hoarder,,, I took 3 cans of the 77 and the one of the 45.  I left one can of 77 for the next person (I am such a swell guy). I tried the 45 yesterday,, and could tell no difference between it and the 77 Super I have used for years..  What works works..  Went to the plywood store today where I normally buy my BB... They did not has 1/4" but a pretty good stack of 1/8", which I rarely use..  I purchased 2 sheets of the 1/8" at $19. ea.. just in case.. I think that is real close to what I have paid in the past... I have another place to check for 1/4".. but I have land taxes to pay this month... humm.  guess I had better ease up on the hoarding a little.

But hey,  Welcome to the new USofA. 

Just make yourself a 1/4 by gluing the two 1/8 together 😂

I don't like the new USofA.. can we go back to the older version? LOL

47 minutes ago, clocks and more said:

I use Aleene's Tacky spray. you can find it in any  craft store ,Like Micheles, or Hobby Lobby.

I've been using a lot of the Aleene's tacky glue. I used to mow her lawn when I was 16-17. She had a great business but was not a nice person. Started out in a little store in Temple City, Ca.

See the source imageI used 3M for years and when I couldn't find it, I resorted to this, and now use it almost exclusively. This cost me less than 7 bucks a week ago at Menards.

As to shelf paper, blue painter's tape, and sticky labels, the old school method is sanding the top piece with 320 or finer, wipe the piece with a damo cloth with denatured alcohol and then spray the back of the pattern with a repositionable spray. Wait 5 to 10 seconds for it to tack up, and apply it to the wood. I have been doing it this way for, well let's just saw a couple of years and even in projects with 1000 cuts, I have never had any problem with lifting.

Some say that the other methods lubricate the blade and such, but as they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. This old guy will keep on keepin' on with old school.

Edited by Jim Blume

18 hours ago, Jim Blume said:

See the source imageI used 3M for years and when I couldn't find it, I resorted to this, and now use it almost exclusively. This cost me less than 7 bucks a week ago at Menards.

As to shelf paper, blue painter's tape, and sticky labels, the old school method is sanding the top piece with 320 or finer, wipe the piece with a damo cloth with denatured alcohol and then spray the back of the pattern with a repositionable spray. Wait 5 to 10 seconds for it to tack up, and apply it to the wood. I have been doing it this way for, well let's just saw a couple of years and even in projects with 1000 cuts, I have never had any problem with lifting.

Some say that the other methods lubricate the blade and such, but as they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. This old guy will keep on keepin' on with old school.

When I was using the sprays all the time I tried a can of this and it was actually one of my favorite ones.. I just always had a harder time finding this in my area..

Checking prices and when I found this, I had to check my stock on hand. On Amazon, the prices range from 11 to 16 dollars a can. I have used 3M super 77 and Elmers as well over the years, but considering the price and effectiveness, this is best in my opinion. 

https://www.menards.com/main/paint/adhesives-glue-tape/adhesive/spray-adhesives/loctite-reg-general-performance-spray-adhesive-13-5-oz/1408027/p-1444432318712-c-7923.htm?tid=-5339201913862397164&ipos=2

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Mark SW said:

Jim,

I always thought Menards was a southern location. When I looked at the map they are located all the way to Wyoming and Kansas. I made the Garden City KS store my choice.

They even have scrollsaw blades.

Thank you

I'll bet they don't have FD or Pegas blades though. Nothing else for me.

Ive been using Loctite General Purpose spray adhesive over the clear shelf paper.  Its been working well enough for my needs.  

All said, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was all the same stuff, just in different cans and labels.  OEM suppliers and brand names are sneaky that way.

y

6 hours ago, rash_powder said:

Ive been using Loctite General Purpose spray adhesive over the clear shelf paper.  Its been working well enough for my needs.  

All said, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was all the same stuff, just in different cans and labels.  OEM suppliers and brand names are sneaky that way.

y

My thoughts precisely!