Spray adhesive 3m 45

rjweb

3 hours ago, rjweb said:

Thx for the suggestions i will try the elmers Ray, if that don't work for me, I guess I will need to use 3M 77. It seems that everything is out of stock any more, my wife was complaining that the food stores the selves are looking barer every week, Thx again, RJ

It's all sitting out in Long Beach and San Pedro/Los Angeles harbors. We can see all the cargo ships lined up like little soldiers.

I've used a lot of different brands of spray adhesives over the years.. and my conclusion is.. they all seem to work pretty well so long as you follow the directions on the can.. A couple brands I used at first I just used as any other spray glue but it said to spray liberally and then let it set for a few minutes before adhering. Worked well once I read the directions, LOL.. I'm currently using a can of the big orange colored can of Grizzly brand. Seems to work well and sprays like a spray paint can would.. Some have said this glue sucks.. I find it works well so long as you shake the can up good.. it has the balls in it to mix it up.. sometimes it takes quite a lot of shaking to get the ball to even start moving.. anyway.. as I said.. most all of them I've tried work as intended..

I rarely use the stuff because I mostly use shipping labels.. but large projects that prints on more than one paper or has to be pieced together.. I use the spray.. 

Darn, this made me search via internet at local stores and the one I use 3M 77 "Super" is not available.  There is a 3M 77 (not super) available,,, not sure the difference, but I am going to give it a try..  We need some people with boats to run out to all those supposedly tankers sitting off the coast of Calif., waiting to get unloaded,  and start picking up supplies for us...

19 hours ago, rjweb said:

I usually use 3m 45 adhesive but right now it is hard to find, what adhesive are you using that’s it’s not too sticky, thx RJ 

I know this isn't going to help you Scrappile. But I did want to post this for scrollers in Michigan and any others who have access to a Meijers in their area.

3M™ General Purpose Spray Adhesive, 10.25 ounce Net Weight

$6.69  Supposedly in stock.

It also appears that ACE Hardware has it also for $8.59

I stocked up bout 6 months ago with 6 cans. I don't scroll as much as some of you. In fact  I'm slowing down because of health reasons. I still have about 4 1/2 cans left
Edited by ben2008

@BadBob

Not very often.. I do so much production cutting that I will go into inkscape and layout a full sheet if possible.. for instance if I've got one of those ornament patterns that has only one ornament in the center of the page.. I go into inscape and copy and paste them so there are as many of them on the sheet as possible.. I have a file cabinet that I store excess patterns that aren't needed to cut yet.. however for the most part I just cut a full sheet of them at a time since I typically stock 30 ish of each ornament style anyway. There are instances where some items are too large to make two onto a sheet but small enough that something else could be printed on them.. I end up being wasteful in that case but it's not many of the things I make that fit like that. Animal puzzles come to mind as some that are in that bracket.. but many of the car puzzles are able to layout two of them per sheet.. I feel like at the end of the day.. I'm not wasting too much of the labels considering most things I'm able to combine many to a sheet. Some things if they're close in size to be two on a sheet but just slightly too big, I'll resize them just enough to make it two on a sheet. Anyway.. you kinda get the idea of what I do.. It'd be hard for a non production cutting person to take advantage of these like I do without putting in a lot of effort to layout each time they need to cut.. for me.. I know I'm going to be selling / cutting more so it works quite well for me.

The result I get with the Craft Repositionable glue which is about £5 in our money suits me. When I've done cutting I just wipe over with White Spirit and the pattern just falls off. I can't use anything 'sticky' like tape as I cannot grip with my fingers. 

Edited by Foxfold

I don't do production cutting, and never have. The last two large projects I have done are clocks. The 8.5 X 11 sticky back sheets would be useless to me. Most of the projects I do are larger. Some of the pieces are 13" wide and 17" long. And I only do one project at a time. I actually find it easier to use my Duck, sticky back shelf liner and attache the pattern to it with 45. Just my opinion.

10 minutes ago, ben2008 said:

I don't do production cutting, and never have. The last two large projects I have done are clocks. The 8.5 X 11 sticky back sheets would be useless to me. Most of the projects I do are larger. Some of the pieces are 13" wide and 17" long. And I only do one project at a time. I actually find it easier to use my Duck, sticky back shelf liner and attache the pattern to it with 45. Just my opinion.

Ben, I have to agree with you. I found I was wasting a lot of the label material. I do save the larger pieces and use them as the pattern backing much like the shelf liner. 

1 hour ago, Devin Wilson said:

Anyone ever see the shipping labels but in legal size. Most of my patterns I enlarge to fit on legal paper.

You can order any size you want.. If you have a large format printer you can get them in 11 x 17 like I used to do.. However after doing so I rarely use them and now I no longer have the large format printer, LOL.. But yes there is a website where you can order standard sizes or custom made sizes..

I use the 3m 77, but for light stuff, I have some Loctite

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-2235316-Performance-Adhesive-Translucent/dp/B079D3XGKX/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1H9LSOIEX9TFV&dchild=1&keywords=loctite+spray+adhesive&qid=1632957961&sprefix=loctite+spray%2Caps%2C178&sr=8-1

I also bought 2 cans of 3M 77 from HD with free home shipping because they were $10 a can and Lowes wanted $20

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-16-75-oz-Super-77-Multi-Purpose-Spray-Adhesive-77-24/100067550

Seems HD is showing no home delivery now though for it..

@kmmcrafts

I make a lot of small items and toys that have small parts that one needs to be replaced because it was damaged. I could use paper for those occasions when a whole sheet label would be a waste.

I have tried just about everything but labels.

Edited by BadBob

@BadBob

You could buy a small sample of labels and see how it goes.. or just keep using paper and evaluate how much of the full paper you use and see if it would be worth buying the full sheet labels or not.. The thing is "Yes" you may waist a portion of a full sheet but don't forget that you also waist a regular sheet of paper too when doing a small item.. and you also taking an extra step in having to spray the paper and wait for it to get tacky to stick it etc.. to me the less mess and the ability to just go peel and stick it alone is worth something. The labels aren't as cheap as paper and the spray.. I just calculate it into my prices.. If I was just a weekend scroll sawer then I might have a different opinion on that.. For those occasional small projects or very large that don't fit on a full sheet.. I still keep the spray around and use it.. Just not very often.. maybe a can every year or so. 

FYI: I do still use the shelf liner or tape.. The labels stick pretty good to bare wood and hard to get it back off. I've not tried using mineral spirits to remove them though.. if you're one that does the spray direct to wood and then the mineral spirits.. I assume it probably would work for the labels too.. but I haven't done that to know for sure.. maybe someone else can elaborate on that.