Hello! New member here ...

Jaguarguy

Hello everyone - Mike here.  I'm a new forum member here from S.E. Michigan.  New to scroll sawing as well.  I've got an old Dremel Moto-shop 571-5 that I have been playing with the last couple of weeks.  Not the best results - not sure if it's me or the machine.  Even with a new blade it basically makes a lot of noise and is slow (I'm cutting about 1/2" plywood).  

I'm thinking about getting a different machine.  I've been looking at an introductory machine like the Wen (about $130).  I saw an older Hegner Multimax 18 on Craigslist for $275 (with a ton of new blades included!)  Any recommendation or comments would really be appreciated!!

Welcome Mike from SE Arizona. The Dremel is old so the problems are more probably the machine rather than you. I see nothing wrong with getting a WEN3921-16 IF you are unsure about whether you want to pursue this hobby/stress reliever or not.  That model supposedly takes both pin-less and pinned blades. And it is not a major investment. But according to Wen,  it's length of stroke is a tad over a half inch so it will be a little slow. If on the other hand, you are showing a modicum of enthusiasm, the Hegner might be a better investment in the long term. Worth checking it out in person and 'kicking the tires' if the current owner allows it. 

Edited by old sarge
spelling

1 hour ago, old sarge said:

Welcome Mike from SE Arizona. The Dremel is old so the problems are more probably the machine rather than you. I see nothing wrong with getting a WEN3921-16 IF you are unsure about whether you want to pursue this hobby/stress reliever or not.  That model supposedly takes both pin-less and pinned blades. And it is not a major investment. But according to Wen,  it's length of stroke is a tad over a half inch so it will be a little slow. If on the other hand, you are showing a modicum of enthusiasm, the Hegner might be a better investment in the long term. Worth checking it out in person and 'kicking the tires' if the current owner allows it. 

Thanks for the welcome and the response.  I think maybe i'll go kick the tires on the Hegner.

Hwy Mike;

east central Michigan here (Gladwin). You'll definitely want to upgrade from the Dermel, the Hegner would be an excellent choice if it's in good condition. you'll want to do some test cuts before buying. If the buyer won't left you, walk away. What kind of blades are you using? The 2 most popular are Flying Dutchman and Pegas, I'm currently using both and both are quality blades. 

The big thing is to find what works for you. This (SSV) is a great resource and tons of great folks here also.

Are you ready for winter (lol).

Chris

Thanks for the welcome and the suggestions.  I've just picked up some Olsen blades for the Dremel - only 3" blades that I could find locally.  The guy with the Hegner is over by Lansing.  I haven't spoken with him yet - was just waiting to hear any feedback from the Forum on my choices.  I've attached the picture of the guy's CL listing.  It appears to be a little dirty but from the picture it looks like it is all there.  I would plan on checking it out to see how it works - he states it is in excellent running condition.  He's second owner - he got it in an estate sale from the original owner. 

I'm ready for winter - got two cords of wood on Monday and had our first fire tonight!

A62C7208-EA97-49E3-A641-865F31C607FE_4_5005_c.jpeg

Edited by Jaguarguy
correction

Hegners have a good reputation for longevity and performance and have been around for decades. Dirt and dust happens.  From the picture I would say definitely worth the drive to Lansing. And I agree with Hawk:  If you can't try it and do some cutting (take your own wood), walk away. 

Edited by old sarge
spelling.

Hi Mike and welcome to the Village from SE North Carolina. I have the WEN and while it is a decent entry level saw, I feel you will out-grow it quickly. You said $130 in you post. Not sure if that's on Amazon but you can actually buy it directly from WEN at a lesser price. I believe I saw the one I have listed at $107. As far as limitations, the upper arm does not lift so you can only bottom feed. The blade clamps are a pain and will wear out quickly. I've already had to replace mine (7 months) as well as the blower bellows. I purchased several clamps but did get the bellows under warranty. The blower isn't great so I glued a wooden button on the upper arm to compress the bellows a little hard. It definitely helped. I'm planning on a new saw as soon as the money is right.

I agree with David that the Hegner would be a much better purchase. I'll also add that WEN does make a new scroll saw (LL2156) they came out with about a month after I purchased my saw. This new saw has a 21 inch throat, the upper arm lifts and the blade clamps are much improved. Also the table is larger.

Don't let the Dremel prevent you from enjoying this great craft. I've found it to be very relaxing as well as very addictive. Don't hesitate to ask questions here at the Village. The knowledge here is vast. If you stay around very long you'll find the members here are like family. Good luck on your decision.

Hi Mike, Another Michigander here.  Central Mi., Six Lakes.  Welcome to the group.  Great bunch of people here.  Always willing to help a person out with any questions they Might have.  Got some great patterns in the pattern library.  I currently use a Craftsman I have had for several years also have a Hegner I have yet to use and a third my hubby uses.  Can never have too many saws............LOL

4 hours ago, Roberta Moreton said:

SE North Carolina here! Get the Hegner if you can. Try it first, it is a much better saw. It takes standard pinless  scroll saw blades. 

I sent the seller a note but have not heard anything yet.  In the meanwhile my Dremel MotoShop died this morning!  Going to have to get serious about finding a new saw.

Edited by Jaguarguy
typo

Welcome to the Village. I love my Hegner 18V that was built back in 1993 if I remember correctly. I've never had an issue with it and I've had it for about 3-4 years and it just keeps on chugging along. It will probably outlive me. If the one you're looking at is in good shape and he lets you cut on it. I would snag it, I don't think you would be sorry.

Jim

I can not imagine the Hegner would last very long on a sales post..I have never owned one but I know some people on here that do and they are excited about their Hegner. One of the most reliable saws on the market, I have been told.  Welcome to The Village. This is a great place to hang as there are a lot of very friendly, talented and happy to share and help others. I Live in Southern Arizona and I hope you will log on often. Post your work and comment on others when you see their work. This is a great place to learn and to get free scroll saw patterns to download.

Dick

heppnerguy