Shop Stool

Dave Monk

Need a new stool bad. Let me know if you have one you really like. I have one with a pneumatic adjustment on the seat height but it didn't last long at all I hesitate buying another one like that.  I also have one that is a Harbor Freight cheapy and it is shot. It has no adjustment at all. Sure would like to be able to adjust the height. Would love some opinions.  

That is known as a "Draftsman Stool", but since draftsmen all work at computers now, there isn't much need for these now. Watch the used furniture stores, Habitat, and Good Will. I bought 2 all black ones from Good Will 2 years ago for $10 each. I don't think mine had been used for draftsmen though, more likely for home hair dressing, since I keep vacuuming hair out of the seat cushions. Great stools at a great price though.

Charley

3 hours ago, Dave Monk said:

i have a craftsman also..........that is the one that the pneumatics doesn't work on.  

Dave, I've researched this a small bit because I wanted to buy a taller pneumatic mechanism for my stool. I have one that I bought from some mail order company a few years back and it still works fine but when I had my Hawk I wanted a taller stool. Anyway, to my point, you can buy a new piston assy for yours and keep using the same stool. Not expensive at all. You just need to get the measurements on what you have now. Amazon if I'm not wrong.

5 minutes ago, OCtoolguy said:

Dave, I've researched this a small bit because I wanted to buy a taller pneumatic mechanism for my stool. I have one that I bought from some mail order company a few years back and it still works fine but when I had my Hawk I wanted a taller stool. Anyway, to my point, you can buy a new piston assy for yours and keep using the same stool. Not expensive at all. You just need to get the measurements on what you have now. Amazon if I'm not wrong.

I use two stools in my shop. One at my scroll saw and the other at my work bench. It's far enough away that it would be a pain to move it back and forth so I need a new one. 

11 minutes ago, Dave Monk said:

I use two stools in my shop. One at my scroll saw and the other at my work bench. It's far enough away that it would be a pain to move it back and forth so I need a new one. 

Fix both of them. Or am I just not understanding? If you MUST have a new one, shop the office supply stores. I've found that an office chair for me is just right for my low sitting and my tall shop stool is best at my workbench.

Edited by OCtoolguy

59 minutes ago, OCtoolguy said:

Fix both of them. Or am I just not understanding? If you MUST have a new one, shop the office supply stores. I've found that an office chair for me is just right for my low sitting and my tall shop stool is best at my workbench.

The seat on my Harbor Freight one it totally shot.

I'll be interested in what you find as I need another stool as well.. I need a taller one.. Both I have are adjustable height.. but the one is at least 12 years old and the padding for the seat has been about shot for a couple years now.. as well as the adjustable height thing but on the lowest setting is perfect for the one saw.. The other one I think is about 4-5 years old and I think it was from Harbor Freight.. It's still working great but sits a tad too low for my Hawk saw.. so I use it at my Excalibur.. 

Edit To Add:

I might just buy a cushion for mine actually since it works well at the lowest setting for my Hawk.. and it's got a backrest etc.. Love it other than the padding is about gone. 

Edited by kmmcrafts

45 minutes ago, preprius said:

Ok, I guess I should have pasted the link the first time....

https://www.officestarstore.com/products/osp-dc940-231

Since we are drafting our design in wood, we need a drafting chair.  Or some of us might use drafting chair to enjoy a draft drink.

I sure like the height range it has. Price might be a bit high for me.

So this goes between my work bench and scrollsaw.  I have to lower it for the hawk, about 4 inches. 

There is a lot of engineering offices goin out of business.  A copy machine company closed down during work at home.

Another electronic company had lab equipment being sold.  After they sold it all I found this chair out back. 

So put your ears out for offices near your area that are closing down.

Wow!! that's an awesome chair.. Price is a little steep but then again.. the $60-70 one I have had for years had barely any padding when new.. and after setting in it all those years you can bet that the padding is much less now, LOL.. It's really nice to have a comfortable place to sit.. especially if you do a lot of sawing.. I could see this being work the money as I doubt it has cheap padding that'll break down in less than a year, LOL Nice tall back rest etc.. 

I bought a pneumatic elevating stool at Princes Auto ( similar store to Harbour Freight) It had a load rating of 400 lbs, since I am at 185 it should last forever but two days and the elevating piston pooped out, dropped to the lowest position with a real thud, never to be elevated again., My costco stool shows seat wear but it is at least 8 years old but it became uncomfortable so I found an old office chair with arm rests, swivel seat and hieght adjustable that I now use for scrolling, very comfortable and on occaision I use it  to lean back and take a nap.  

7 hours ago, Dave Monk said:

Don't see the seat height. Am I missing something?

I'm not either.. the seller has seemed to skip the important description.. In the reviews I found a person saying that it measured at 24.5 inches at the lowest setting.. But that review may be for a different chair too.. LOL