New DW788! Question though...

new2woodwrk

My new DeWalt DW788 Type 2 arrived 2 days early. Put it together and boy is it quiet and cuts through my stuff like butter!

Anyway, there is this piece on it, described as the "Lower Guard" in the diagrams, here's a pic...

dewalt-black-ctrl.thumb.jpg.785d4120cf5dc0826d3af64544c5da58.jpg

Is this needed for anything?  Can I just remove it without creating a problem of any sort, balance, adjustments etc.?

It gets in the way of loading the blades on the lower chuck or at least makes it uncomfortable to do so.

Thoughts?

Thanks as always in advance

Yep, I agree with Ray.. LOL.. That was the second thing I took off the DW I had when I first got it.. first thing was the hold down foot.. thought I could work with that guard on there but kept getting in my way so like before the first project was completed I had to remove it, LOL

Congrats on the new saw!  I hope and trust it will give you many years of happy scrolling.

New saws always cut great - that is until the first blade gets dull.  But then you can always put in a new blade.  I seem to recall a Steve Good comment when testing a new at that time brand/type of blades to the effect that it was like getting a new saw.  

1 hour ago, Roberta Moreton said:

I think they are guards that they have to have on there so they can’t get sued if you should cut your finger. 

I used to tell my students that it was possible to cut your finger off with a scroll saw, but you would probably have to change the blade at least once!

14 minutes ago, dgman said:

I used to tell my students that it was possible to cut your finger off with a scroll saw, but you would probably have to change the blade at least once!

I wasn't paying attention one time and ran the end of my thumb into the #5 mgt blade. It did cut a very nice clean kerf in my thumb. Lesson learned: pay attention!

5 minutes ago, OCtoolguy said:

I wasn't paying attention one time and ran the end of my thumb into the #5 mgt blade. It did cut a very nice clean kerf in my thumb. Lesson learned: pay attention!

The only time I cut myself on a scroll was when I told myself if you do that, you are going to cut yourself. I did it anyway, and I cut myself. I don’t remember what it was, I just remember saying “don’t do that”.

2 hours ago, dgman said:

The only time I cut myself on a scroll was when I told myself if you do that, you are going to cut yourself. I did it anyway, and I cut myself. I don’t remember what it was, I just remember saying “don’t do that”.

At our age, you'd think we had better sense. But, alas, we don't. Maybe now we do though.