A Newby

Gene Howe

My introductional first post.

Hello fellow wood butchers,

A little about me: My name is Gene Howe. I'm a retired speech pathologist living the dream, for the past 50 years in rural southern AZ. Close to Tucson but, too close. We're transplants from IL.  Married to Phyllis (Phyl) whose been putting up with me for 51 years. We have twin sons, and 3 grandkids.  I've been a wood butcher for 50 years.  In April, I'll be 81 years young. My motto is "You must grow old but, there's no reason to grow up." Consequently, If it ain't fun, I avoid it. Life's too short to be bored. 

My tools include two Shopsmiths with their bandsaws, A DeWalt 13" planer, various hand planes, lots of Japanese hand saws, and a plethora of clamps.  In my younger years, I used to build cabinets, desks, beds and tables on commission. I learned that to earn a small fortune in woodworking, you must first start with a large fortune. Unfortunately, I had neither. So, for the past 25 years + or -,  I've only built what I wanted to. Mostly boxes, small tables and, toys. No more big stuff!  Living here, we have ready access to, what has become my favorite wood, Mesquite.  Although, In our trips back to IL, I manage to load the pickup with walnut and maple. 

I will have a DeWalt scroll saw this June. My BIL is giving it to me as his interests have changed. He's in IL. Long trip. Gotta take out a second mtg to buy the gas.😂

In the distant past, before I retired, I owned a little Delta scroll saw and really enjoyed using it. I understand that the DeWalt is a much better saw. If it's build quality is anything like their Planer, I'm sure I won't be disappointed. I'm really anxious to start scrolling again. 

I'm really happy I found y'all and hope to be a regular poster, here. Probably with lots of questions.

Welcome Gene.

I think scrolling is an excellent way to stay active in woodworking without having a huge shop full of equipment.  It incorporates many of the basic concepts of woodworking, with projects that are much more manageable in size & scope.  Plus there is such a variety of scrolling styles and methods, that there is plenty to keep one interested.  You can make it as simple or as complex as you wish.

Lots of experience on this forum, great place to get questions answered.  Good luck and have fun making sawdust!

Welcome to the Village, Gene. I've only made a couple items that I would claim such as a bed and some shelves. The other dozens of items were things I threw together to get by. That is until I started scrolling about a year ago. I'm proud to say, regardless of what others may think, I've made some quite nice pieces on my saw. What's more, the time I spend scrolling is the most relaxing and peaceful time I've had in a while. I still work full time so my time on the saw is limited by my job and honey-dos.

As Bill mentioned above, the knowledge of the members here is vast! And while I've been happy with the quality of product I've produced on my saw, you find many of the members here are in a category I only hope to achieve in the future. Don't hesitate to ask questions and by all means, please share pictures and descriptions of your work. Happy scrolling!

8 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

My introductional first post.

Hello fellow wood butchers,

A little about me: My name is Gene Howe. I'm a retired speech pathologist living the dream, for the past 50 years in rural southern AZ. Close to Tucson but, too close. We're transplants from IL.  Married to Phyllis (Phyl) whose been putting up with me for 51 years. We have twin sons, and 3 grandkids.  I've been a wood butcher for 50 years.  In April, I'll be 81 years young. My motto is "You must grow old but, there's no reason to grow up." Consequently, If it ain't fun, I avoid it. Life's too short to be bored. 

My tools include two Shopsmiths with their bandsaws, A DeWalt 13" planer, various hand planes, lots of Japanese hand saws, and a plethora of clamps.  In my younger years, I used to build cabinets, desks, beds and tables on commission. I learned that to earn a small fortune in woodworking, you must first start with a large fortune. Unfortunately, I had neither. So, for the past 25 years + or -,  I've only built what I wanted to. Mostly boxes, small tables and, toys. No more big stuff!  Living here, we have ready access to, what has become my favorite wood, Mesquite.  Although, In our trips back to IL, I manage to load the pickup with walnut and maple. 

I will have a DeWalt scroll saw this June. My BIL is giving it to me as his interests have changed. He's in IL. Long trip. Gotta take out a second mtg to buy the gas.😂

In the distant past, before I retired, I owned a little Delta scroll saw and really enjoyed using it. I understand that the DeWalt is a much better saw. If it's build quality is anything like their Planer, I'm sure I won't be disappointed. I'm really anxious to start scrolling again. 

I'm really happy I found y'all and hope to be a regular poster, here. Probably with lots of questions.

Thanks for a great intro. But, unless you're going back to Illinois for some other reason at today's fuel prices you'd be able to buy a new saw for less than the gas to go round trip. Anyway, I'm sure you're going for more than that. Happy you found this great group. I've been here going on 8 years now and so happy I found it when I did. Welcome!

I big welcome from someone who lives fairly close to you. I live in Casa Grande, AZ. I have been scrolling since I retired and found I needed a hobby. I also love scrolling and have one DeWalt and two Excalibers. You will find this site to be filled with very friendly and helpful people, always willing to help others and make friends. One day while heading North toward Phoenix, text me and perhaps you could drop in and we could meet each other. I am close to your age, turning 82 the last of April.

Dick

heppnerguy

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you all for the kind words of welcome. I've yet to affix a blade to my gifted DeWalt 788. But it is in it's place on the bench, with a nice comfy adjustable height chair and a foot operated switch. There's three small furniture projects in the shop, awaiting completion. They have a deadline. Then, I'll try my first practice scroll saw cuts. I'm really anxious to start scrolling again.