Easter Scroll Saw Challenge

Travis

EasterScrollSawChallenge.png

This month's scroll saw challenge is about Easter!  🐰  Post your Easter projects here and tell us a bit about it!  This is open for interpretation:

• Toys for the Kids
  • Easter Baskets
  • Candy holders
  • Easter decor
  • Bunnies...bunnies...and more bunnies.
  • Bowls, place settings, napkin rings, centerpieces, etc for Easter Dinner
  • Religious/Faith based projects
  • Good Friday related
  • Or just to celebrate spring!

I can't wait to see what you come up with.  If anybody is looking for some Easter projects, we have a few in the Project Workshop.

• 2 weeks later...

what is the challenge for May?    How do I get to it?   I can find only the April one..

Have you ever thought of having a,    SILLY SCROLL SAW PROJECT  challenge?

How about a scroll saw challenge using a regular tuna fish can in the design?

I am ready to enter your next challenge.     Lol. 

How do I make a payment to subscribe?  

Have a great day........John

58 minutes ago, john nelson said:

what is the challenge for May?    How do I get to it?   I can find only the April one..

Have you ever thought of having a,    SILLY SCROLL SAW PROJECT  challenge?

How about a scroll saw challenge using a regular tuna fish can in the design?

I am ready to enter your next challenge.     Lol. 

How do I make a payment to subscribe?  

Have a great day........John

Hi John, there isn’t necessarily a monthly challenge. Travis does them ATT different times I think as “the mood hits” often around a holiday. I guess for May, you could do something for Mother’s Day (USA is May 8 th this year so not much time on that one. 😉) or something for Memorial Day which is end of May or maybe a “Summer Challenge” so things to entertain kids in the Summer. 🤔 I’ll tag @Travisand see if he’s got a challenge up his sleeve. 😉

I’m not sure what you mean on the “subscribe.” You can help support the forum by becoming a “patron”. There are three different levels of patron support to choose from. You get different benefits depending on the level you choose. You can do that here: 

https://www.scrollsawvillage.com/subscriptions/

Edited by meflick

Hi,  I am very amazed with your club.........interesting,  very well done.  I can't believe I didn't find about you all sooner.   I was a founding member and life member of SAW          ( Scroll saw Association of the World), but it died a few years because of poor management.  We lost one major scroll saw magazine a few years ago and the one left has turned into a CRAFT magazine.  They have no idea what scrolling really is.....very disappointing.   I look forward to participating in your club.....looks like a lot of fun. Only problem, I am not very good with the dam computer so will need help....Lol  I am 87 year old and do not want to learn anything new.    I have a lot of scroll saw patterns and projects that I designed over the years.  I would like to share them with the club if you are interested.  I had planned to publish a few books with them but books are being phased out by the internet and all the free patterns and plans they offer.   Also I am too old to start over.  A few years ago I can up with a method to add color to scrolling.  (Mose scrollers are not artist so do not do projects that need art details.)   My "process" actually uses a process Fisher-Price Toy Company used back in the 40's  before plastic toys.   I THINK your members would be interested.  Let me know what you think.   Perhaps, with some help I could do a "How to" article ?   Let me know if interested.    I  am still exploring your website........( I am a slow learner).    Have a great day,  John 

5 hours ago, john nelson said:

Hi,  I am very amazed with your club.........interesting,  very well done.  I can't believe I didn't find about you all sooner.   I was a founding member and life member of SAW          ( Scroll saw Association of the World), but it died a few years because of poor management.  We lost one major scroll saw magazine a few years ago and the one left has turned into a CRAFT magazine.  They have no idea what scrolling really is.....very disappointing.   I look forward to participating in your club.....looks like a lot of fun. Only problem, I am not very good with the dam computer so will need help....Lol  I am 87 year old and do not want to learn anything new.    I have a lot of scroll saw patterns and projects that I designed over the years.  I would like to share them with the club if you are interested.  I had planned to publish a few books with them but books are being phased out by the internet and all the free patterns and plans they offer.   Also I am too old to start over.  A few years ago I can up with a method to add color to scrolling.  (Mose scrollers are not artist so do not do projects that need art details.)   My "process" actually uses a process Fisher-Price Toy Company used back in the 40's  before plastic toys.   I THINK your members would be interested.  Let me know what you think.   Perhaps, with some help I could do a "How to" article ?   Let me know if interested.    I  am still exploring your website........( I am a slow learner).    Have a great day,  John 

John,  Sorry I am late in welcoming you to the village.  I would certainly be interested in your patterns and projects.  It would be interesting to read about how you add colour to scrolling.  I don't know what Fisher-Price did.  Looking forward to more posts from you.  

Barb

I try to do a monthly scroll saw challenge.  It doesn't always work out that way when things get crazy on my end.  But we try to do something new every month.  I think it's a lot of fun.  I'll have a new one for May that I'll probably put out sometime this week.  

You can find our past ones here:

https://www.scrollsawvillage.com/challenges/

@john nelson there are different subsections to the forum here. One is specifically for uploading and sharing patterns for others to use. you could place any patterns you wished to share there. It is the “Pattern Library” and it can be found here: 

https://www.scrollsawvillage.com/gallery/category/2-pattern-library/

There is another subsection for “Works in Progress” and “Tutorials”. It can be found here: https://www.scrollsawvillage.com/forums/forum/31-works-in-progress-tutorials/

This would be a great place for you to put up your “coloring process” if you wanted to write it up and share for others to learn from. I know most everyone here is always willing to learn something new and interesting related to our hobby of scrolling. I know I would be interested in reading and learning about your process.

if you need help with posting or sharing information in any of the forums or the pattern library, just let us know and many would probably be able to help you out with doing so.

13 hours ago, meflick said:

@john nelson there are different subsections to the forum here. One is specifically for uploading and sharing patterns for others to use. you could place any patterns you wished to share there. It is the “Pattern Library” and it can be found here: 

There is another subsection for “Works in Progress” and “Tutorials”. It can be found here: https://www.scrollsawvillage.com/forums/forum/31-works-in-progress-tutorials/

This would be a great place for you to put up your “coloring process” if you wanted to write it up and share for others to learn from. I know most everyone here is always willing to learn something new and interesting related to our hobby of scrolling. I know I would be interested in reading and learning about your process.

if you need help with posting or sharing information in any of the forums or the pattern library, just let us know and many would probably be able to help you out with doing so.

Thank you......I am completely lost!   I am 87 years old and know NOTHING about computers.  I am trying to add three color projects to the April challenge I have NO idea how to do it.....I have spent over 2 hours trying   I have the photos in my email and  I know how to forward photos via the email thing.  If I forwarded them to YOU could YOU add them to the challenge for me????  ?  Hate to bother you.   My email address is noslenaj35@gmail.com.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  FYI,  the three projects are using the ADDING COLOR TO SCROLLING method so it would give you an idea what it is.    Again, thank you for your help.    Have a nice day,   John Nelson

On 5/1/2022 at 9:42 PM, meflick said:

HELP HELP.  I am completely lost. (I am computer challenged). Please explain  (in very simple terms...step by step ) how to add a photo to the monthly challenge?  I have three.     Also,  I would like to explain the process of adding color to scrolling, with photos...how is that done?     How do add FREE scroll saw patterns to the site?  Is there anyone I could email for help?     I hate to bother Travis as I know he is very busy.  Perhaps I could send my material to someone ands THEY could  enter my material?   My email address is. noslenaj35@gmail.com. THANK YOU. SOOOOOOO much.   .   John

3 minutes ago, john nelson said:

HELP HELP.  I am completely lost. (I am computer challenged). Please explain  (in very simple terms...step by step ) how to add a photo to the monthly challenge?  I have three.     Also,  I would like to explain the process of adding color to scrolling, with photos...how is that done?     How do add FREE scroll saw patterns to the site?  Is there anyone I could email for help?     I hate to bother Travis as I know he is very busy.  Perhaps I could send my material to someone ands THEY could  enter my material?   My email address is. noslenaj35@gmail.com. THANK YOU. SOOOOOOO much.   .   John

John,  I am not the most competent person to help but here it goes.  This is what I do to add photos to my posts.  I make sure the photo is in my downloads file.  At the bottom of the comment box is a "paperclip" that says "drag files....., or choose files.  I click on "choose files".  That opens up my download file.  From there I click on the file/photo that I want to upload.  Then on my system I have to click "open".  This will then upload the photo to your post.  I hope this makes sense.

Barb

Here are a few examples of adding color to scrolling without actually painting. You do not have to buy a lot of different cans of paint colors, there is no brush to clean, no waiting for each color to dry, and best of all NO clean up.    It is quick, easy to do and lots of fun. It opens up a new world to scrolling.  I will try to get the instructions to you when I figure how to do it???????  .....Lol 

IMG_0051 (2).JPG

IMG_0092 (2).JPG

IMG_0144.JPG

IMG_0174.JPG

IMG_0167.JPG

IMG_0164.JPG

IMG_0169.JPG

fire truck2.png

IMG_0158.JPG

IMG_0165.JPG

ADDING COLOR TO SCROLLING INSTRUCTIONS

Adding color to scrolling is easy and fun. It saves you a lot of time and the cost of purchasing many colors of paint, brushes and the time waiting for the paint to dry between coats This is not a new process however, Fisher-Price toy company made their toys this way back in 1940 and 1950 before plastic came along.

With these color scroll saw projects you get the scroll saw pattern as usual and the required artwork to apply to the project.

Attach the scroll saw pattern to the wood and cut out the object as usual. Sand all over. Slightly round the edges.

Usually you apply a coat of color to the edges in and around the project about ½ inch on the front and back surfaces. This is the only painting you have to do. (you do not have to prime the wood) There are two choices to make at this time. White is usually the best choice; or you might want to use a color that matches the art work. If you choose white, using scissors cut out the art work about 1/64 of an inch out from the art itself. This does not have to be perfect as the white will be hidden by the white paint you applied to the project itself. If you choose a color other than white, to match the artwork cut the art work exactly and leave NO white edges.

Using plain Mod Podge or white glue (Mod Podge is preferred) apply a very even thin coat using a brush, or your fingers. Don’t worry if you get some on the edges, it will not show.

Carefully center the artwork on the project. Try to keep it centered, but do not worry if it is not exact. It will not be noticed. Very carefully smooth out the artwork. There are many variables and it will not be perfect. Put aside and let it dry overnight.

Apply a couple of light coats of Mod Podge or white glue, don’t worry if it looks cloudy, it will dry clear. These coats will hide the edges of the artwork and give a harder surface.

Apply two of Minwax satin urethane or equal all over including the edges and back surface.

Lightly steelwool with 0000 wool and apply a paste wax. (optional)

Note, A project should look good AND feel good. The paste wax gives your project a “finished” look and feel.

@john nelson glad @barb.j.enders was able to give you the information that you needed to add your photos  You are doing a good job and got your instructions up. I will have to take some time to review. Perhaps @Travis can take your photos and written instructions and put them together into the Tutorials subsections so they aren’t lost over here in the Easter challenge.

that last pull dog toy reminds me of one of my favorite pull toys I had when I was very little. 😉 I named him snoopy. It was I believe indeed a wooden Fisher Price toy in the 60s. 🥴

Edited by meflick