Hello from Illinois

Eplfan2011

Hi, thanks for the add!

I have been woodworking for 30 years and for the past few years have fancied giving scrolling a try but have never found the time.

Well times change and by chance I stumbled upon a old scrollsaw but in surprisingly good condition. It's a RBI 226vs ( square bottom blade holder and a DC motor manufactured by Dayton, which from what I've read is a Ultra made between 1994-1996) it was covered in a layer of dust. I parted with $100 and took it home and gave it a thorough clean and a coat of wax, oiled the rear cam and tested it out. It runs quietly with no vibration. I've ordered the blower lockline kit for it and some new knobs as the upper blade holder knob is cracked. Got about $150 in it now and some time, I feel like this could be a good start to a new hobby! 

Now I just have to practice lol

Warm welcome from California.

I got the same machine 1.5 yrs ago. 

Some guy here @OCtoolguy helped me buy it.  I had some entry level saw before but had struggles. I had never really tried the types of art.  Intarsia, fretwork, puzzles.  But when I did I found entry level just did not work for me.  So I upgraded.  Now I dont worry about the machine and I can focus on making stuff. 

The 26inch comes in handy.  

But this village has some really skilled people (elders and youngters) and they answered many of my questions.   Even my stupid questions. 

I learned alot in 1.75 years. 

5 minutes ago, preprius said:

Warm welcome from California.

I got the same machine 1.5 yrs ago. 

Some guy here @OCtoolguy helped me buy it.  I had some entry level saw before but had struggles. I had never really tried the types of art.  Intarsia, fretwork, puzzles.  But when I did I found entry level just did not work for me.  So I upgraded.  Now I dont worry about the machine and I can focus on making stuff. 

The 26inch comes in handy.  

But this village has some really skilled people (elders and youngters) and they answered many of my questions.   Even my stupid questions. 

I learned alot in 1.75 years. 

Thanks I'm here to learn everything I can😁

Welcome. You did well on your purchase. You will never wear it out. My suggestion, besides hanging out here, is to check out Scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com. It's a site with tons of info and 1000's of free patterns. The owner is a fellow by the name of Steve Good. If you sign up for his emails you'll get a free pattern everyday and usually a lot more. Now, it's time to have fun. Your addiction begins.

7 minutes ago, OCtoolguy said:

Welcome. You did well on your purchase. You will never wear it out. My suggestion, besides hanging out here, is to check out Scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com. It's a site with tons of info and 1000's of free patterns. The owner is a fellow by the name of Steve Good. If you sign up for his emails you'll get a free pattern everyday and usually a lot more. Now, it's time to have fun. Your addiction begins.

Thanks, I had already found his site and purchased his patternsdownload for a mere $20, I'm signed up for emails too. 

Welcome to the Village from North Carolina. I've only been scrolling about a year and a half and have learned lots from the kind members of this forum. I purchased an entry level saw and "hope" to one day soon upgrade. Sounds like you got a really nice saw for less than I paid for my entry level. Anyway, if you're like the rest of us, you'll find that scrolling is addictive. Be sure to post pictures of your projects. That encourages us to get off the computer and back on the saw.

Well my parts have got here for the Hawk and I may install them after supper and make a pattern and make my first scrollsaw cuts ever lol.

I'm not a novice woodworker I use the hell out of my bandsaw so I'm hoping that will help .... Just never used a scrollsaw.... I'll bring wood butchery to a new low 🫣🫣🤣🤣

• 2 weeks later...

I have not had very much time in my shop or on my computer lately and missed your introduction post.  So let my Welcome you to SCROLLSAW VILLAGE. I see you have been pretty active already and are probably feeling pretty comfortable here already, as we all get to know you better. Explore all the forums so you don't miss anything here, if you have not done it so far. Continue to keep in touch often here and continue to enjoy your scroll saw.

Dick

heppnerguy