First cut

Eplfan2011

Let me say that to cut letters as the first thing you cut using a scroll saw you have a great future ahead of you! Cutting letters or words for most scrollers is the most difficult! You have nothing to be embarrassed about, you did a fine job on the first cut! As others have said keep that first cut in a safe place and go back and look at it in a years time! You will be amazed!

Erv 

Eplfan2011:

I mostly kept to the line (but they are only a suggestion right) but the s has a few flatspots on it ( I'm presuming I'm turning without feeding?) "

I do a lot of word art.  I have discovered that we - the "cutters" see the micro-departures.  Those who look at our work see the macro outcome.  Minor departures become nearly invisible to those who view the whole.  My motto has become "Cut with care and trust the pattern.  Don't sweat the small stuff."  Your work is hand-crafted and minor departures are a signature of "hand made."

Great job and keep making sawdust.

Bruce

6 hours ago, wombatie said:

That is better than anything I cut when I first started, so a big well done and keep going.

Marg

Thanks for the kind words.

Just glanced at your profile and noticed your originally from West Brom, I was born in Handsworth Wood just down the road and now living in the States ..... It's a small world.

On 8/12/2022 at 10:34 AM, Blaughn said:

I do a lot of word art.  I have discovered that we - the "cutters" see the micro-departures.  Those who look at our work see the macro outcome.  Minor departures become nearly invisible to those who view the whole.  My motto has become "Cut with care and trust the pattern.  Don't sweat the small stuff."  Your work is hand-crafted and minor departures are a signature of "hand made."

Great job and keep making sawdust.

Bruce

Bruce thanks for your insight and I know you're right!  Building furniture I'll see small flaws because I know they are there others hardly ever notice them.

But we are our own worse critics, right?

Edited by Eplfan2011

13 minutes ago, Eplfan2011 said:

Bruce thanks for your insight and I know you're right!  Building furniture I'll see small flaws because I know they are there others hardly ever notice them.

But we are our own worse critics, right?

We are, indeed, our own worst critics and that keeps us striving for perfection.  It is that instinct that produces the greatest compliment: "Sooooo, where did you get your CNC router?"

On 8/13/2022 at 9:59 PM, Eplfan2011 said:

Thanks for the kind words.

Just glanced at your profile and noticed your originally from West Brom, I was born in Handsworth Wood just down the road and now living in the States ..... It's a small world.

Hello neighbor.  It certainly is a small world.  There is a member of the Village from Smethick but he's not here very often.

Marg

Well after a busy weekend I finally got free time to try another cut, I feel like I went backwards on this one .... Rushing maybe? Maybe a good sanding will help... Thinking of giving it a coat of paint if it tidies up ok.

I guess that this will wrap up this thread and I'll put in some hours practicing and making fire wood lol.

20220815_163427.thumb.jpg.f644783b083d4a64131ab40061854dd2.jpg

3 minutes ago, Eplfan2011 said:

Well after a busy weekend I finally got free time to try another cut, I feel like I went backwards on this one .... Rushing maybe? Maybe a good sanding will help... Thinking of giving it a coat of paint if it tidies up ok.

I guess that this will wrap up this thread and I'll put in some hours practicing and making fire wood lol.

20220815_163427.thumb.jpg.f644783b083d4a64131ab40061854dd2.jpg

Looks good. Where'd you get your CNC router? Lol

On 8/12/2022 at 11:34 AM, Blaughn said:

Eplfan2011:

Those who look at our work see the macro outcome.  Minor departures become nearly invisible to those who view the whole. 

about 15 years ago( and not long after taking up scrollsawing), i did a fishing scene plaque for a friend. he loved it. i told him there were mistakes in it, which i knew where they were but didnt point them out.

few weeks later i went to his house. he says,"check out that plaque hanging on the wall. i think its pretty friggin amazing but the dude that did it said theres mistakes in it. can you find what he was talkin about?'

ill be darn if i could even remember what the mistakes were

Congratulations on a project well done. It looks perfect once the pattern is removed. that is one of the nice things about scrolling is it is difficult to determine if you went off the line after the pattern is removed, unless you went quite a bit off the line and then went too quickly to get back on, then it leaves a very noticeable jagged line.

Dick

heppnerguy

• 5 weeks later...

Been revisiting a couple of old threads lol. It been just over a month since I posted my first cut.  I thought a reasonable way to gadge my progress would be to cut another name block.

I couldn't find another 3/4 peice of pine all I could find in my scrap pile was a peice of 1 1/4 inch laminated pine board. This is fresh off the saw no sanding and took about 1/4 of the time to do, also the edges are shiny smooth none of those ridges I had to sand out on the first one.

For once I'm quite pleased not with the cut (still room for a lot of improvement) but with the progress of my techniques, smoother and more consistent cuts.

20220921_164708.jpg

20220921_164718.jpg

Edited by Eplfan2011