Issues cutting with the grain.

jbrowning

Hello everyone, hope everyone is doing well. I've noticed that when I'm cutting my puzzles that the saw/blade struggles cutting through the wood when I'm cutting in the direction of the grain. This is on 3/4" Poplar and Pine. It has no problem cutting across the grain. Has this always been the case or has something changed in the wood and or blades?

Thanks

Jim

It's not you, it happens - specially noticeable with poplar!

I've noticed this for a long time now but it hasn't always been so - IMO the blades have changed slightly. Not sure if it's the metal or the production, but when I first started cutting poplar I did not notice as much resistance cutting the grain.

Then again, when I first started cutting poplar, I didn't know what the heck I was doing! LOL

This don't happen to me.. I think it might be your Poplar and the saw.. send them both to me and I'll cut puzzles with the saw to see if it's your saw or the Poplar.. when the poplar is gone I may need more.. might be the poplar from your location so maybe others should also send me some poplar from your location so I can determine if poplar is different by location.. Can't send me just one board either.. I say 50 - 100 board foot would rule out that one stubborn board that we all run into now and then.. 😂

Yes it happens to me as well and I notice it in most all the species 

If you liken it to using a table saw, they make blades specifically to rip (cut with the grain) and blades to crosscut.  It has to do with the way the fibers are aligned in the wood. Think of scrollsaw blades as designed to crosscut.  When cross cutting the saw cuts (shears) these cell fibers across their structure. When rip sawing the saw is cutting the cell fibers along their length cutting through their structure. When cross cutting the dust is fine and clears from the blade easier, when ripping the saw dust is "stringier" due to the structure of the wood cells and doesn't clear from the blade as well staying in the gullets and slowing down the blades ability to cut.

Cutting with the grain (rip cut) differs from cutting across the grain (crosscut). That is why you can get rip, and crosscut blades for a table saw.  Handsaws also come in both rip and cross-cut versions. Scroll saws by necessity need to be a combination blade.

When you are cutting with the grain the sawdust is more difficult for the blade to clear and will be slower in some cases. This can vary greatly depending on the blade and the wood you are cutting. Every piece of wood is different. I find that when I am cutting flat-sawn wood the difference is less noticeable. When I cut quality plywood or MDF the direction of the cut makes very little difference. However, I have cut some 3/4-inch MDF that I swear had a grain.

13 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

This don't happen to me.. I think it might be your Poplar and the saw.. send them both to me and I'll cut puzzles with the saw to see if it's your saw or the Poplar.. when the poplar is gone I may need more.. might be the poplar from your location so maybe others should also send me some poplar from your location so I can determine if poplar is different by location.. Can't send me just one board either.. I say 50 - 100 board foot would rule out that one stubborn board that we all run into now and then.. 😂

Yes it happens to me as well and I notice it in most all the species 

It's not April Fools yet!!