New Scroller

PeteSpringfield

Good Afternoon to you all.

Pete from Portsmouth in Hampshire (UK) here. I got interested in scroll sawing just over a year ago and purchased a well used Ferm brand (possibly a FFZ400) to start on. 

I've watched a few videos but getting stuck in is half the fun so I just muddle through. The biggest surprise to me was that the blades will tolerate you turning a tighter curce than you ever thought possible.

What I do is Noddy stuff really, just little ornaments from drawing on the net, I'll try and put a picture up when I've finished the first of this years Christmas items.

Oh, and I have been lucky enough to pick up a used Hegner in the last couple of weeks so a renewed burst of enthusiasm awaits.

All the best, Pete

Welcome to the Village Pete. It's a great place to be.  Lovely friendly, helpful people on here that will answer any question for you.  Having both saws will be great, but you'll probably find that the Hegner will be your 'go to' saw.   I had an 'entry level' saw when I first started, couldn't find a Hegner so got an Axminster instead. The difference is like night and day. You can go from this to this in the blink of an eye.  Enjoy your saw and put lots of pics up. 

Witch Gorilla (2).jpg

Thanks all for the warm welcome.

I've attached snapshot of my current work in progress, some Christmas decorations based on a design found all over the net. My small artistic addition is to use nicely figured Zebrawood. However, the offcut I obtained was essentially a 6"x4" which I then had to hand saw lengthways to create 1/2" "blanks" and then sand them flat.

This particular example is finished with Boiled Linseed oil but on reflection, it's too dark so am currently making a new batch which will just be lacquered.

All the best and happy cutting,

image.png

Welcome from Arizona. We love it  when people share their projects. You are doing well on yours. Just a hint, when posting your work you want to go to the 'bragging rights' section. Have fun and please understand I am just trying to help you understand where to post you work so everyone is more apt to be able to view it.

Dick

heppnerguy

Welcome from Alabama! Wonderful place to learn and grow more addicted. :) I also have a Hegner and love it. Beautiful piece of wood on the Christmas tree you did. I do a lot of resawing, planing, etc myself before a piece of wood I've found/been given is useable. Seems like a luxury to have wood that's readly to go as is. :)