Hello from Southern Kentucky, USA

Tallbald

Brand new here. Branching out in a 45 year woodworking hobby and part time wood craft "business". I started doing Colonial style household goods in early adulthood. Ended up being a gallery wood turner/sculptor. My first scroll saw was a Dremel Moto Shop(?) I paid for myself with birthday money and cash earned repairing other kids bicycles. It was sort of a disappointment for me as I expected much more than the machine was designed to give. Graduated to a 1995 model 2 speed Delta. Used it several years but it went the way of all good things.

Here I am today with another try at the scroll saw area of our craft. My beloved wife and I both are enthusiastic about learning the basics and how to build on our skills. We bought a Wen 16 inch VS 3923, as have so many others getting into this area of woodwork. Maybe one day we will graduate to a King, Pegas, Dewalt or some other more advanced saw. Will have to see how the economy shakes out though as we live on a fixed income. 

I did design and craft a scrap lumber scroll saw stand for our Wen. Made of dumpster wood and other salvaged materials, it's very solid. Yellow pine, old pressure treated deck flooring, bed slats from my parents 1967 bed and hinges from doors and windows on our house I repaired back in 1995. Finished in boiled linseed oil, this stand has an integral hinged prop that holds the hinged top up at a 10 degree forward tilt for better ergonomics. All four casters lock in place. The plywood tray below serves as a front to back brace and as storage. Cost me only the screws and glue needed to assemble the stand. Sized to fit our Wen or most other scroll saws, I went against more common designs and made the front the narrow end rather than the back. This lets my wife and me more comfortably spread our knees for tucking our bodies right in over the saw table.

All good things to you others. Thanks for allowing me to join the group.

Don

XqW9jbll.jpg

Yc2LANWl.jpg

yX3xCYql.jpg

HszcrXzl.jpg

Welcome to the hobby and to the forum.  The stand looks clever and very well built.  I would only make one comment.  Vibration happens with every saw.  Typically it's most easily dampened when the saw is attached to a stand in such a way that they become one monolithic structure  I wonder, if by hinging the top, you might experience more vibration than if the top was permanently fixed to the frame.  A lot of folks even end up adding weight to the bottom of the stand to further dampen vibration.

Bill thanks for your compliment. The hinges used on the stand top are heavy, close tolerance solid brass full size door hinges and the top, when up, locks into the heavily hinged riser block. I did use old band saw wheel tire rubber to make extra shock absorbing mounts under each of the three mount holes of the saw. When the top is in the lowered position, there are two steel 3/8 inch diameter pins that mate to the underside of the top. The stand sort of locks together in that position too. With all four caster wheels locked and the 35 pounds of stand, the vibration I find is pretty minimal. Hope it stays that way...

Don

Welcome from North Carolina. I have only been scrolling for about a year and a half and still have my WEN I started with. I hope to upgrade in the future but like you have to assure my money is right before jumping into a large expense. I'm looking at the Seyco or Pegas. Hope you and the wife post your work so we can see. I also feel sorry for you in a way. If you both take to scrolling like I did I'm afraid there will be fights to get to the saw. Happy scrolling.

Thank you all for the welcomes and compliments about the table. After seeking some recommendations here (thank you all for the suggestions) I ordered two books off Amazon. One is a scroll saw workbook and the other is a "like new" used copy of intarsia woodworking. I've given the scroll saw a lot of thought before buying a saw to begin my journey anew. Scroll sawing can be done from a setting position, which is needed for me post two spinal surgeries and with degenerative spinal disease. Small amounts of material can be used, which translates to lower costs for my beloved Miss Penny and me. The opportunities for artistic creativity with scroll sawing are limited only by one's imagination too. Finally, I no longer do sculptural turnings for art galleries and juried shows. That was a wonderful 20 year period in my life but the promotion and travel are no longer practical for me. And honestly we have a smaller home now and little room for storing or displaying things stuff I build.

Thank you all again for the welcomes. I'm approaching scrolling as a nearly complete new person to the craft. I expect I'll be asking many question and seeking sage advise often!.

Don

• 1 month later...

Hi KYwoodmaster. I'm over here in Bowling Green. You and I are a smart way apart unfortunately, but I sure appreciate your kind thoughts. My Mama's people are from Eastern Kentucky " I sure love your end of the state and had I had the choice, would have at least retired over that way. But life ended up over here. Thank you for the welcome! Don

• 2 weeks later...