Another Heart, this time on a box

MarieC

11 hours ago, MarieC said:

Thank you Dave, coming from you, that is quite a compliment!  My table saw only cuts 3 inches high so the only way I could see cutting it was to use my chop saw since the box is around 5 inches tall.   Thank you again😊

This is one very similar to @MarieC has.  One I would like to build.

https://www.731woodworks.com/store/safesled

Scroll down and there is a video.

Edited by Scrappile

1 minute ago, Scrappile said:

This is one very similar to @MarieC has.  One I would like to build.

https://www.731woodworks.com/store/safesled

Wow...I didn't have any plans.  I did see several pictures on websites and I combined what I liked in each of them and I just figured it out.  I didn't want it too be too heavy so mine works pretty good.  I also waxed the runners.... it sure would have been nice to have some plans though....took me a few days to figure out how to make it and put it together.🙂

19 minutes ago, MarieC said:

Thank you Dave!  So I made it so there wouldn't be any chance for me to cut off my fingers...thus the doweling....I just hold onto that anytime I make a cut.  I think I will make one just for 45 degrees since it sounds like it will be useful.  It wasn't too hard to make...just used stuff around the shop....  I also have an extra "zero clearence Plate" for my saw so I will need to cut a 45 degree in that as well.  Thanks again:)

When I use my sled I take the insert plate and splitter off.  Really no need for it. The only other thing you might think about is being able to use a stop block so you can duplicate parts. Not sure how you can do that with the dowel. My saw is a left tilt so I have the blade on the left side of the sled with more working distance on the rt. 

25 minutes ago, MarieC said:

Awww, thanks Ray, you are quite generous.  So I used a vintage Porter Cable Router Jig (it weighs about 50#) and my Dewalt 618 router to make the dovetails.  I only use that router for doing Dovetails, because once you set your bit to make the perfect depth, you don't every want to ever change it.   There are videos on how to use this jig but I was taught how to do it in an unconventional way by an elderly gentleman which is a lot faster.   I only know how to make blind dovetails on the jig, but with this technique (dovetails on both sides of the corner) you make a 45 degree cut down the corner after your first corner is put together.  I liked using my Chop saw because it has a dead on laser so my cuts were perfect, however they were not fully cut through.  I stood the corner on end and cut down through it lengthwise.  I mentioned this in an earlier thread:

I took small scraps of walnut, cut them to the thickness of the Hackberry, made a half blind dovetail like I always do. took that piece to the bandsaw and cut off most of what was left of the walnut (carefully), then took it to the chop saw and cut that at a 45 degrees, did it again until I did it 8 times for 4 pieces of Hackberry (2 on each side)  than I glued it all together 

Anyway, this procedure really needs a video.  I am hoping to make my next box primarily out of walnut and then have the accent corners be purple heart...but purple heart is a bugger to work with.  I am hoping to try Dave Monk's method of cutting the corners...In addition,  I am a very slooooow scroller so I am currently making a picture (rather than a heart) to put on the top...who knows if I will ever finish it.:)

Well, the most important thing to have is patience. 2nd is tenacity and it appears that you were blessed with both. I used one of those jigs and actually owned one at one time. Mine did have the Craftsman brand name on it. If you ever decide to do a video, I'd love to see how you do it.

1 hour ago, Dave Monk said:

When I use my sled I take the insert plate and splitter off.  Really no need for it. The only other thing you might think about is being able to use a stop block so you can duplicate parts. Not sure how you can do that with the dowel. My saw is a left tilt so I have the blade on the left side of the sled with more working distance on the rt. 

Dave, Yes, that makes sense, about no need for the plate or splitter....  I suppose I can try to make some sort of sliding stop block that moves on one of those T tracks like in the picture, I could router it into the base of my sled to one side if the wood base is thick enough... Hmmm, you got me thinking ...thanks again :)

image.thumb.png.7c3098934ed2113d54db4b18e08cf2b4.png

14 hours ago, Ron Johnson said:

Your work is awesome Marie. Very beautiful dovetails and inlay. 

Ron, coming from you that is quite the compliment.  I am using the blades that you suggested I get and I really like them....thank you so much for letting me know about them.  mc

1 hour ago, meflick said:

A beautiful box you handcrafted Marie. You should indeed be very proud. One day I’m going to try some inlay. 😉🫣🙂

Awww,  thank you so much as I admire your work.  Inlay is scary to me as I have screwed up quite a few times.   Dave Monk has been a great source of help and encouragement. 🙂