Another Heart, this time on a box

MarieC

2 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

Excellent!!! Could you please describe your interesting dovetail process. 

I mortice the top of the box for the hinges. Usually, deep enough for both leaves. That keeps them straight.

Gene, Well, I kind of figured I wanted the dovetails to be on both sides, so I took small scraps of walnut, cut them to the thickness of the Hackberry, made a dovetail like I always do (I can't remember what they are called, "half blind dovetails" maybe?") took that piece to the bandsaw and cut off most of what was left of the walnut (carefully), then took it to the chop saw and cut that at a 45 degrees, did it again until I did it 8 times for 4 pieces of Hackberry (2 on each side)  than I glued it all together and by golly it worked!  I tried it on 1/2 inch thickness the first time and I thought it too thin.  This is just under 3/4" and it was less scary.  hope that makes sense. 

1 hour ago, jerry walters said:

Never thought of doing a box. We all need a box to store all those treasures we have collected through the years. Where did you find the pattern? Guess I can search the web. Very nice cutting. 

Jerry

Jerry, I didn't have a pattern...Well, I did used my mother's 1930's little cedar chest that she got when she graduated from school as the shape.  I liked the round front and back top and the little feet and handles.  I think I will make more like this but try different scroll ideas...

2 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

Thanks, Marie. I THINK I have it. 

The one problem I ran into was when I did the 45 degrees, my chop saw wouldn't cut to the very bottom of the wood, so that is why I had to take it to the bandsaw so I could flip it around and cut again the last bit.  So I actually, did the first 45 degree, ran to the band saw cut off most of the excess that the miter saw didn't and then back to the miter saw...Kind of goofy, but it worked.  If you find a better way, please let me know.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/25/2023 at 9:34 AM, MarieC said:

The one problem I ran into was when I did the 45 degrees, my chop saw wouldn't cut to the very bottom of the wood, so that is why I had to take it to the bandsaw so I could flip it around and cut again the last bit.  So I actually, did the first 45 degree, ran to the band saw cut off most of the excess that the miter saw didn't and then back to the miter saw...Kind of goofy, but it worked.  If you find a better way, please let me know.

Awesome box. I have a chop saw but use my table saw with a sled for cutting my box miters. 

3 hours ago, Dave Monk said:

Awesome box. I have a chop saw but use my table saw with a sled for cutting my box miters. 

Thank you Dave, coming from you, that is quite a compliment!  My table saw only cuts 3 inches high so the only way I could see cutting it was to use my chop saw since the box is around 5 inches tall.   Thank you again😊

1 hour ago, MarieC said:

Thank you Dave, coming from you, that is quite a compliment!  My table saw only cuts 3 inches high so the only way I could see cutting it was to use my chop saw since the box is around 5 inches tall.   Thank you again😊

Marie, with a sled, the blade is tilted to 45° and the box sides and ends are cut flat on the sled. You wouldn't necessarily need a sled. Safer and more accurate, though.

Edited by Gene Howe

10 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

Marie, with a sled, the blade is tilted to 45° and the box sides and ends are cut flat on the sled. You wouldn't necessarily need a sled. Safer and more accurate, though.

I do have a sled but have not used it with the blade tilted to 45 degrees, but I do see what you are saying now.  Hmmm...I will try that on a scrap and see how it works...totally makes sense...thanks Gene for that info. Much appreciated :)

Your sled and it's fences can span your saw table and a 45° cut through the front and back fence will help with accuracy. A solid block, like 3" thick, should be glued to the back of the back fence, spanning the cut line,  for safety.  Both fences should be at least tall enough to allow for manipulating the sled and still keep the fingers safe. 

I use two miter slot runners and generous wax under my sled. 

2 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

Your sled and it's fences can span your saw table and a 45° cut through the front and back fence will help with accuracy. A solid block, like 3" thick, should be glued to the back of the back fence, spanning the cut line,  for safety.  Both fences should be at least tall enough to allow for manipulating the sled and still keep the fingers safe. 

I use two miter slot runners and generous wax under my sled. 

Gene, thank you so much for the info....Here is a picture of the one I made.  Do you think this will work?...do you have a picture of yours?  

20221209_215044.thumb.jpg.f10b9b7a651dedce8e4c902af86291cf.jpg

I'd love to know all of your steps on the building of these boxes. What did you use for the dovetailing etc.? I love boxes bowls and baskets and am always looking for more info on how others do it. Your work is astounding. I had no idea of your talent until now. You are very good at what you do.

5 hours ago, MarieC said:

Gene, thank you so much for the info....Here is a picture of the one I made.  Do you think this will work?...do you have a picture of yours?  

20221209_215044.thumb.jpg.f10b9b7a651dedce8e4c902af86291cf.jpg

That is an awesome sled. Never saw one quite like it. It is a heck of a lot fancier than mine.  I would hate to cut a 45 into it. Maybe make another one just to cut 45s.

11 minutes ago, Dave Monk said:

That is an awesome sled. Never saw one quite like it. It is a heck of a lot fancier than mine.  I would hate to cut a 45 into it. Maybe make another one just to cut 45s.

Thank you Dave!  So I made it so there wouldn't be any chance for me to cut off my fingers...thus the doweling....I just hold onto that anytime I make a cut.  I think I will make one just for 45 degrees since it sounds like it will be useful.  It wasn't too hard to make...just used stuff around the shop....  I also have an extra "zero clearence Plate" for my saw so I will need to cut a 45 degree in that as well.  Thanks again:)

1 hour ago, OCtoolguy said:

I'd love to know all of your steps on the building of these boxes. What did you use for the dovetailing etc.? I love boxes bowls and baskets and am always looking for more info on how others do it. Your work is astounding. I had no idea of your talent until now. You are very good at what you do.

Awww, thanks Ray, you are quite generous.  So I used a vintage Porter Cable Router Jig (it weighs about 50#) and my Dewalt 618 router to make the dovetails.  I only use that router for doing Dovetails, because once you set your bit to make the perfect depth, you don't every want to ever change it.   There are videos on how to use this jig but I was taught how to do it in an unconventional way by an elderly gentleman which is a lot faster.   I only know how to make blind dovetails on the jig, but with this technique (dovetails on both sides of the corner) you make a 45 degree cut down the corner after your first corner is put together.  I liked using my Chop saw because it has a dead on laser so my cuts were perfect, however they were not fully cut through.  I stood the corner on end and cut down through it lengthwise.  I mentioned this in an earlier thread:

I took small scraps of walnut, cut them to the thickness of the Hackberry, made a half blind dovetail like I always do. took that piece to the bandsaw and cut off most of what was left of the walnut (carefully), then took it to the chop saw and cut that at a 45 degrees, did it again until I did it 8 times for 4 pieces of Hackberry (2 on each side)  than I glued it all together 

Anyway, this procedure really needs a video.  I am hoping to make my next box primarily out of walnut and then have the accent corners be purple heart...but purple heart is a bugger to work with.  I am hoping to try Dave Monk's method of cutting the corners...In addition,  I am a very slooooow scroller so I am currently making a picture (rather than a heart) to put on the top...who knows if I will ever finish it.:)