Best book

I bought that book and did cut one of the patterns. I also tried some of the practice patterns. They were boring. So I found a nice butterfly pattern and some plywood and just went at it. It'snot as hard as it looks. Blade selection was more of a problem but even there I just jumped in and figured it out. Still leatning after 8 years but if it wasn't challenging, it would not hold my interest.

I also recommend the Scroll Saw Workbook.  Steve good has some good, easy patterns, the baskets and bowls especially are good for beginners, (repetitive cuts). I also recommend Steve Good YouTube videos. You can order some Scroll Saw Woodworking and Crafts magazines as well. Sometimes the older ones go on sale. 

I'm all for books if that's what works best for you.. but everything you would want to know and many easy patterns right here on the scrollsaw village for free.. Steve Good has a lot of good info on his Blog as well as his youtube channel..I guess what I'm saying is books cost money when just doing some searching online will get all the same info and possibly more. But I realize that some folks would rather read a book than look online, and that's okay too. Most important is just have fun with it.

About forty years ago, I started with an AMT scroll saw and learned how to use it, cutting small animal cutouts in one of Patric Speilman's books. I cut them from almost anything, but mostly I used pallet wood as I had access to more hardwood pallets than I could use. The ones in the photo were made for my kids, and now my grandkids have them. They are also being passed down from nieces to their children. Does this make them heirlooms?

These books are available used cheap ($5) on eBay and Amazon.

These are in "Scroll Saw Pattern Book" by Patrick Spielman & Pamela Tubby.
20181110092723662ToymakersShopItttyBittyAniomalCutouts.thumb.jpg.50d19661b4bf6f9af5ce7d67cb0c53af.jpg

Edited by BadBob

Scroll Saw Pattern Book - Walmart.com

Patrick Spielman's Scroll Saw Pattern Book was the first book I found, when I started scrolling years ago.  Most of the patterns are fairly simple, but I still occasionally find something in it to cut all these years later.  Of course this was pre-internet.  Between this site and Steve Good's site, there is a ton of good information and patterns for all skill levels.

I recommended John Nelson's book, because it offers a lot of tutorial info, along with a variety of patterns of different skill levels.  I think it is still a valuable resource for beginners, even with the internet.

32 minutes ago, Roberta Moreton said:

When I started there was no internet. I went to the library and checked out books to learn. I have learned many things through books.

Can't imagine life without internet and my friends at the village..:) It really wasn't that long ago either.. how'd we all get by without the internet, LOL

I much prefer print material on paper, whether in a book or magazine. There's just something about the feel of real paper in the hands that appeals. I find it easier to refer back to a specific subject or topic. Especially if it's step by step instructions.

But, there's lots to be said about the 'net, too. Without it, we wouldn't have the Village. 

Edited by Gene Howe