Little Mod to my scrollsaw dust collection

Scrappile

Saw this on pictures of @Rolf's dust collection set up. I decided to try it.  In the past I have twisted the loc-line up and out of the way to move it out of the way to move the blade to another hole.  That means when I want the sucker back in place I have to twist it down and fiddle with it to get it right where I want it.  That wears out the loc-line and it is not cheap not fun to replace joints of it.   With this union I just swing the sucker to the side out of the way and when I swing it back it is right where I want it.   No fiddling.   Now I am pondering on a way to do something similar for the blower side....  This took me less than 4 minutes 32 seconds to put in.

Thanks Rolf!

87361CAD-F776-4A4C-A4EA-CEA728A5E622.jpeg

B79EDC95-3C16-456D-B283-BC4E5C0A356A.jpeg

Edited by Scrappile

• Scrappile changed the title to Little Mod to my scrollsaw dust collection

I love how people have been getting ideas from Rolf's post.  This is my execution when I saw his setup.  When I raise the arm up, the locline moves up and will be in the exact same place when I lower it.  The actual pivot point is my flex pipe.  I also added a blast gate which "throttles" my lower vac, some pieces cover all the holes and the suction is too much underneath.  This brings suction more to the top vac.

I just ordered more locline for my drill press.  My flax pipe is not doing the job alone.

vac1.jpg

vac 2.jpg

Edited by rafairchild2

Keep sharing these ideas and mods folks. I’m going to show hubby so he can get me figured out with my saw and portable Festool I did end up getting once we moved. Unfortunately, we’ve had a significant life event get in the way of getting it all setup yet. We’ll get there though. 🙏🏻🤞🏻🙂🫣

13 hours ago, meflick said:

Keep sharing these ideas and mods folks. I’m going to show hubby so he can get me figured out with my saw and portable Festool I did end up getting once we moved. Unfortunately, we’ve had a significant life event get in the way of getting it all setup yet. We’ll get there though. 🙏🏻🤞🏻🙂🫣

Hope you are all well!

8 hours ago, barb.j.enders said:

Hope you are all well!

Hey Barb, thanks for asking, all said, we are doing ok now. 🙂 We lost the last of our parents when my FIL passed away in mid-March just a few months before his 96th birthday. We ended up deciding unexpectedly to downsize and buy DH family home he grew up in. Plan to build separate workshop and remodel the 56 year old house. We spent several months getting our house we had built 18 years ago cleaned up and out, painted inside and out and decluttered to put on mkt. Got it sold, then moved and closed on purchase of family home all over period of about 4-5 months. He still works full time so I did what I could during the days and then he helped evenings and weekends. Was a long summer. 😉😏☺️

Two weeks after we moved and two days after we closed on purchase, on Sun., Oct. 1st, he was on an A frame ladder trimming tree branches on a large walnut tree. A larger sized branch hit the ground and bounced up and back and took him off the ladder. He ended up with severe heel fractures on both of his feet.  Doctor told him he smashed one, and really smashed the other. Then he got pneumonia so they couldn’t do surgery for about 2 1/2 weeks after accident. Fortunately it was an electric chainsaw (gas one was acting up and not working correctly so he switched to electric one). Electric fortunately quit running when he released it and he also was able to throw it away from himself.

He’s now a little over 2 weeks out from two significant surgeries on his heels to repair and rebuild them. He is doing well all things considered but he is non-weight bearing on his feet until after the first of the year which means he is in a wheelchair with full lower leg casts for several weeks more. No PT for about two months. Out of work for at least 3+ months. He’s doing well and on road to recovery and we are adapting. Had his two week checkup since surgery last Fri. and so far looks like healing well which is good as feet can be an issue with healing. Stitches out of one, still in one for at least another week.

We are thankful it was not worse, no other damage to anywhere else, didnt hurt ankles, just his heels, didn’t hit his head, hurt his back, knees or hips or worse.  He’s not one to sit around so that is hard on him, he’s been finding things to do while sitting including playing guitar, piano and carving. All the workshop tools are all packed and stored away unfortunately for the most part so he can’t do much there. I had previously decided to try and make my saw useable in the basement when we moved which is what I got the Festool for portable dust collection. I think we bought it the week or maybe the day or two before the accident and hadn’t gotten it setup. 🫤🙃☹️ We’ll get there. 🙂 But that is why I haven’t done anything with my saw in at least 8 months! I have however tried to come here regularly and keep up with what the rest of you are doing. 🤫🙂 it has helped me mentally but it’s also why I’ve mainly simply been. “liking” posts rather than making many comments. 

Edited by meflick

15 hours ago, meflick said:

Hey Barb, thanks for asking, all said, we are doing ok now. 🙂 We lost the last of our parents when my FIL passed away in mid-March just a few months before his 96th birthday. We ended up deciding unexpectedly to downsize and buy DH family home he grew up in. Plan to build separate workshop and remodel the 56 year old house. We spent several months getting our house we had built 18 years ago cleaned up and out, painted inside and out and decluttered to put on mkt. Got it sold, then moved and closed on purchase of family home all over period of about 4-5 months. He still works full time so I did what I could during the days and then he helped evenings and weekends. Was a long summer. 😉😏☺️

Two weeks after we moved and two days after we closed on purchase, on Sun., Oct. 1st, he was on an A frame ladder trimming tree branches on a large walnut tree. A larger sized branch hit the ground and bounced up and back and took him off the ladder. He ended up with severe heel fractures on both of his feet.  Doctor told him he smashed one, and really smashed the other. Then he got pneumonia so they couldn’t do surgery for about 2 1/2 weeks after accident. Fortunately it was an electric chainsaw (gas one was acting up and not working correctly so he switched to electric one). Electric fortunately quit running when he released it and he also was able to throw it away from himself.

He’s now a little over 2 weeks out from two significant surgeries on his heels to repair and rebuild them. He is doing well all things considered but he is non-weight bearing on his feet until after the first of the year which means he is in a wheelchair with full lower leg casts for several weeks more. No PT for about two months. Out of work for at least 3+ months. He’s doing well and on road to recovery and we are adapting. Had his two week checkup since surgery last Fri. and so far looks like healing well which is good as feet can be an issue with healing. Stitches out of one, still in one for at least another week.

We are thankful it was not worse, no other damage to anywhere else, didnt hurt ankles, just his heels, didn’t hit his head, hurt his back, knees or hips or worse.  He’s not one to sit around so that is hard on him, he’s been finding things to do while sitting including playing guitar, piano and carving. All the workshop tools are all packed and stored away unfortunately for the most part so he can’t do much there. I had previously decided to try and make my saw useable in the basement when we moved which is what I got the Festool for portable dust collection. I think we bought it the week or maybe the day or two before the accident and hadn’t gotten it setup. 🫤🙃☹️ We’ll get there. 🙂 But that is why I haven’t done anything with my saw in at least 8 months! I have however tried to come here regularly and keep up with what the rest of you are doing. 🤫🙂 it has helped me mentally but it’s also why I’ve mainly simply been. “liking” posts rather than making many comments. 

Oh Melanie,

I am glad that he is on the mend!!  As soon as I read "trimming branches"  I knew it wouldn't be good.   Keep well!

On 11/6/2023 at 1:58 PM, rafairchild2 said:

Decided to add a similar locline dust mod to my new 14-inch drill press.  I did violate the no 90-degree elbows rule for this one, but for the amount and size of dust/chips when drilling it won't matter.  I wanted the blast gate in an accessible spot.

Richard, Where did you get your locline and the connection you added to your dust gate?  Thank you, Marie

55 minutes ago, MarieC said:

Richard, Where did you get your locline and the connection you added to your dust gate?  Thank you, Marie

I made the connector by cutting a circular insert and drilling it.  I then used RTV silicone to secure the LocLine to it.  The LocLine 3/4 kit with connectors I got off Amazon, same with the tool. I bought 4 kits to do the saw and my press.

https://amzn.to/3SC7T0H

3 hours ago, rafairchild2 said:

I made the connector by cutting a circular insert and drilling it.  I then used RTV silicone to secure the LocLine to it.  The LocLine 3/4 kit with connectors I got off Amazon, same with the tool. I bought 4 kits to do the saw and my press.

https://amzn.to/3SC7T0H

Thank you...would you recommend two kits or is one kit long enough?  Thanks again :)

Wow! Melanie AKA Meflick, You have had an interesting few months.! I can't begin to imagine how frustrating it is for your husband. I have had my own ladder adventures but my injuries were not as debilitating as his. 

The joy you will both experience once you get the shops back together and start making sawdust again will feel so good😊

12 hours ago, Rolf said:

Wow! Melanie AKA Meflick, You have had an interesting few months.! I can't begin to imagine how frustrating it is for your husband. I have had my own ladder adventures but my injuries were not as debilitating as his. 

The joy you will both experience once you get the shops back together and start making sawdust again will feel so good😊

Yes, it has been quite the. “Adventure” 😏😉☺️🫢 he’s now about 3 1/2 weeks out from his surgeries and has had the stitches removed from both feet as of last FRI. He’s doing pretty good and has adjusted pretty well to the wheelchair and both feet and lower legs in casts now. He’s been working on carving, playing guitar, shop layout plans, and remodel plans for the house. He’s in good spirits and says he doesn’t miss work at all. 🤫🙂 I did get the scrollsaw with the Festool up and running last week but I need to get a top dust port setup like you guys have done. Right now, I just have the Festool under the bottom. I cut out a turtle that I wanted to carve. It was nice to do something even if it was just a quick cut.

On 11/4/2023 at 6:04 AM, Rolf said:

I am flattered! 😉 I also did not glue any of the joints as I periodically get small jams. 

I also added trap to catch the small pieces I did not want to lose.  I put a screen on the suction side. 

I may make a new trap or modify this one so it behaves like a mini Cyclone. 

Screen.jpg

Trap.jpg

Rolf, thanks for your picture of the trap you made...a mini cyclone is a great idea.  I do have a request, could you take a picture of your entire dust set up, I can't figure out where your pivot piece would be on your unit (that @Scrappile mentioned and took a picture of) in relation to your trap.  Thank you! Marie

On 11/3/2023 at 1:01 PM, rafairchild2 said:

I love how people have been getting ideas from Rolf's post.  This is my execution when I saw his setup.  When I raise the arm up, the locline moves up and will be in the exact same place when I lower it.  The actual pivot point is my flex pipe.  I also added a blast gate which "throttles" my lower vac, some pieces cover all the holes and the suction is too much underneath.  This brings suction more to the top vac.

I just ordered more locline for my drill press.  My flax pipe is not doing the job alone.

vac1.jpg

Thanks again, I would love to see a picture of the underside, and how that hooks up to your suction pipe...thank you!

1 hour ago, MarieC said:

Thanks again, I would love to see a picture of the underside, and how that hooks up to your suction pipe...thank you!

Here you go.  Looking forward the blast gate in the bottom right controls both the upper and lower vac.  Note that I have a separate blast gate on the lower vac so I can "throttle" it, if the suction is too great on the piece. 

The bottom vac is 3D printed by James and works a lot better than the stock... in other words, it sucks. 

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Thank you so much...so there are quite a few James on here...which one makes the bottom vac attachment and does he sell the attachment?  If so how do I get a hold of him?  That looks like a great idea, especially the dust gate to control the suction.  Thank you for taking the time to take pictures and share them....much appreciated! :)

Edited by MarieC