Thickness of ornaments ?

rjweb

I use 1/8" and 1/4" Bass wood from Hobby Lobby, mostly.

The size of the ornament generally determines the thickness I use; larger/thicker, smaller/thinner.

Hobby Lobby is sub optimal for sourcing for production work, never can tell when they will have more product. They also have 1/16" plywood, I haven't bought any so I can't speak to the quality of the material. I've never tried ordering online from them although that is an option.

I was surprised that the basswood held together for the pine needles in the Idaho ornament, but it's been fine. (I cut 16 ornaments in stacks of 4, not a single failure). Last year I used 1/4", but this year I used 1/8" (not sure why)

Edited by Wichman

On 11/27/2023 at 6:53 PM, rjweb said:

What size of wood does everyone use for their ornaments, I have been using 1/4 inch but thinking of making them 1/8 inch, Thx in advance RJ

I have always thought 1/4 makes a clunky looking ornament. I have used it in certain hardwoods. 

I cut most of my ornaments in 1.5mm (1/16), I may have to go to 3mm (1/8) as my source has changed ownership and no longer carries my thin stuff. I bought the last tree sheets 50" x 50" . The little angel is 1/16 the other set is 1/8 natural woods layered(the natural ones were for the current SSWWC issue)

Delicate angel.JPG

20231104_113629.jpg

On 12/4/2023 at 12:07 PM, Rolf said:

I have always thought 1/4 makes a clunky looking ornament. I have used it in certain hardwoods. 

I cut most of my ornaments in 1.5mm (1/16), I may have to go to 3mm (1/8) as my source has changed ownership and no longer carries my thin stuff. I bought the last tree sheets 50" x 50" . The little angel is 1/16 the other set is 1/8 natural woods layered(the natural ones were for the current SSWWC issue)

Delicate angel.JPG

20231104_113629.jpg

On 12/4/2023 at 12:07 PM, Rolf said:

Delicate angel.JPG

20231104_113629.jpg

Those are beautiful Rolf!