Sanding Mop???

jimmyG

I know I'm one of those people that just has to remove all of the little fuzzies on the back and inside of a cut panel of BB plywood after finishing a scrolled project.  The veneers can be delicate in some areas where a lot of material was removed.  Had chip out on some  panels if I was too aggressive.  I've seen some videos on sanding mops and can't imagine beating up a project with one of those.  

6 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

I am in that boat too. Can not see myself slapping my work with a sanding mop at all. Never used one for that. I like my pad sander with 220 grit paper and projects resting on a flat surface. No way I am ripping any pieces out with a pad sander. 

I'm retired and have plenty of time to devote to my hobbies and I guess I'll keep using my tiny "hand" tools to meticulously clean up the cuts. Using BB plywood I even have to be gentle removing the shelf paper so as not to lift some of the veneer.  Guess I'll save the motorized tools for less delicate projects.

18 hours ago, jimmyG said:

I've seen some videos on sanding mops and can't imagine beating up a project with one of those.  

They don't beat them up. If you are aggressive and put too much pressure on them, you might have a problem. You must be careful about how you hold that piece, or it can catch and get thrown across the room. I sand fretwork with mine no problem.

I also have my mop in my drill press and running at the slowest speed. I also use a coarser Mac Mop to knock off sharp corners, etc. I was skeptical of the mops, especially when I saw the price for a good one. I would not be without one now that I have used one for a few years.

I have found that a good fence helps a lot when something catches. Most of the time, the part will fly off the back of the table, and a fence will catch it. A large table is also beneficial.

I added a net to my dust collection to prevent these flying pieces from winding up in my vacuum.

Thanks for the video and pics!  Saved me from googling what you were all talking about.  I need to try some of those. So far in my learning, it is all hand sanding with bits of sandpaper, an orbital sander, and/or little files.  I have also used a torch to get the fuzzies off the back of my fretwork pieces.

2 hours ago, BadBob said:

They don't look anything like a mop. They often put inappropriate words in titles to get things to appear in searches. You can see this all over Amazon and eBay. Chinese sellers are the worst.

There were no 'inappropriate words' used to find this.
 I realise they look nothing like 'you' would call a mop, which is why I said it's a cultural/language difference.  These are Silverline 'mops' and use quite commonly over here.
I've had mine for 3 years, never had a problem with it and it came from Glasgow.  The type of 'mop' you use is not easily available here on this side of the pond. !
If you put 'Sanding Mop' into a UK search line you get something like this. ALL under the heading 'Sanding Mop'  🤣

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=sanding+mops&norover=1&mkrid=710-55006-18975-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=102&keyword=sanding+mops&crlp=_&MT_ID=&geo_id=&rlsatarget=kwd-81913743260470%3Aloc-188&adpos=&device=c&mktype=&loc=133631&poi=188&abcId=&cmpgn=373192669&sitelnk=&adgroupid=1310618064067262&network=o&matchtype=e&msclkid=6c011aeee6051abffa1c7f9319070056&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1

1 hour ago, Rolf said:

I also use the spindle mounted MAC Mop, 240 (I think) And Yes I do use it on delicate work. I support the delicate parts on a flat piece of wood, In this picture a Christmas ornament 1/16 Baltic birch. It takes a delicate touch but I have not lost one yet.Rolfmacmopremovingfuzzies.thumb.JPG.7a92f5abcd2e64b9614741e0295630ad.JPGRolfSandingdelicateornaments.thumb.JPG.deb03e815f1a09cbcc4766938d91cb3e.JPG

1/16th? Delicate!