Question about a Hawk G426

MarieC

So, I am looking at this 26 inch Hawk that this person has for sale (I would like a larger saw).  She is the second owner and she has not used it much and could not speak for the previous owner.  I am really curious as to how you think it sounds.  I had her take some pictures and a video of it because she lives quite far from where I am.  She wants $275 for it.  She said it doesn't vibrate (those are pellets being stored under the saw for her pellet stove - had that clarified earlier) and there is no rust on it... either on the saw or stand.  I Would really like your opinion expecially you folks who own Hawks.

G426saw.thumb.JPG.8ed7133371954c02053e0fb933601e12.JPG

Hawkpic1.thumb.jpg.7d3c8cca2b308ecbb1b26e84187c1662.jpgHawk2.thumb.jpg.af5dc568b5f01a0b1621e673b4e2a8d3.jpgHawk3.thumb.jpg.477213e2754983ba9c1154f68d2d52ac.jpgHawk5.thumb.jpg.6af399f34c88b6ba425bd8ab1ee6302f.jpgHawk6.thumb.jpg.80bfb6fd34d621c45b487d37244cc8cf.jpg

Hawknameplate.thumb.JPG.71b7a3561e8652eed3932627a2780a40.JPG

Edited by MarieC

Yes @Rolf has one and he probably could tell you more than I could on this specific saw model since I have not first hand with the particular model.. That being said the G426 is almost identical to the newest model saw ( a BM-26 ) which I do have.. Most of the parts for the BM-26 are shared with the G426 so really i think they're the same saw other than a different bearing set up on the motor itself.  

This saw was always known as the Cadillac of the Hawks and it sounds good to me in the video.. looks to be in good shape. I don't think it's been used much at all as there is no visible marks on the table top.. it looks to have the factory swirl marks on the top from being machined.. My new saw with almost 500 hours on it has worn the machining marks off so I'd say it has not all that much time on it. 

Not sure about your location.. but most of the G426 saws in my area are priced $600 and up so I'd say it's priced good. If it was close to me I'd be all over that.. I'd like to get a G426 just to mess around with and compare to my saw, LOL.. I would think if you didn't like it you should be able to get more than that out of it if you sold it.. Not sure how long she's had it listed.. but If anyone knows these saws in the area I would say it won't be there long.. At least in the market in my area.. 

17 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

Yes @Rolf has one and he probably could tell you more than I could on this specific saw model since I have not first hand with the particular model.. That being said the G426 is almost identical to the newest model saw ( a BM-26 ) which I do have.. Most of the parts for the BM-26 are shared with the G426 so really i think they're the same saw other than a different bearing set up on the motor itself.  

This saw was always known as the Cadillac of the Hawks and it sounds good to me in the video.. looks to be in good shape. I don't think it's been used much at all as there is no visible marks on the table top.. it looks to have the factory swirl marks on the top from being machined.. My new saw with almost 500 hours on it has worn the machining marks off so I'd say it has not all that much time on it. 

Not sure about your location.. but most of the G426 saws in my area are priced $600 and up so I'd say it's priced good. If it was close to me I'd be all over that.. I'd like to get a G426 just to mess around with and compare to my saw, LOL.. I would think if you didn't like it you should be able to get more than that out of it if you sold it.. Not sure how long she's had it listed.. but If anyone knows these saws in the area I would say it won't be there long.. At least in the market in my area.. 

Kevin, thank you.  It is a ways away but we will be heading in that area around Christmas.   I am glad you were able to hear the video and that you thought it sounded good...that means a lot to me.   Do you know what years the G426 were built?  Thanks again!:)

7 minutes ago, MarieC said:

Kevin, thank you.  It is a ways away but we will be heading in that area around Christmas.   I am glad you were able to hear the video and that you thought it sounded good...that means a lot to me.   Do you know what years the G426 were built?  Thanks again!:)

They started around 2004 - 5 and I believe they switched to the BM-26 around 2011 ish.. but I'm not certain of the ending of the G426.. I do know it started 2004-5 though.. I think Rolf mentioned he got his new in 2005 

Looking at the first picture it looks like it has the rear wheels option.. it does have the front handle to lift / tilt it back onto the wheels and roll it around.. These saws are heavy.. I believe the shipping weight of mine was 130lbs Having the wheels option is a big plus if you want to move it around. I don't remember what the option cost but guessing at least $60 - 80.. At times I wish I had the wheels.

I own a G426, and absolutely love it.  I paid $400 for mine, and had to replace a few parts to get it cutting quiet.  This one is in really good shape, and for that price, I would snatch it up.  The nice thing is, you can still get parts for this saw, and it is very easy to work on.  I do hear a slight rattle on that saw, so it may need a new cam bearing soon, but I think that'll be a few miles down the road.   Mine sounded really bad, and with the cam and bearing replacement (and a few other parts), it pretty much whispers. 

Here's a link to my post about repairing my saw after I purchased it.  

Anyhow, I am extremely happy with my G4, and if you are looking for a larger saw, you can't go wrong, in my opinion.

Dan

Edited by DRugerH

I did buy my Hawk in May of 2005. I think Kevin is correct on the time frame. One big difference between the G4 and the rest of the Hawks is the body of the saw is cast iron instead of aluminum. The saw is about 100 lbs. 

Since 2005 I have only done a couple of minor repairs. It still has the original bellows even though I purchased a spare.

It has paid for most of the tools in my shop, just in Christmas sales.  The original saw had a slight crown in the table and Hawk sent me a replacement.  

I believe the G4 was the last model produced before the company was sold to Bushton MFG.

$275 is an absolute bargain!!!  The saw sounds fine.

I did buy my Hawk in May of 2005. I think Kevin is correct on the time frame. One big difference between the G4 and the rest of the Hawks is the body of the saw is cast iron instead of aluminum. The saw is about 100 lbs. 

Since 2005 I have only done a couple of minor repairs. It still has the original bellows even though I purchased a spare.

It has paid for most of the tools in my shop, just in Christmas sales.  The original saw had a slight crown in the table and Hawk sent me a replacement.  

I believe the G4 was the last model produced before the company was sold to Bushton MFG.

11 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Looking at the first picture it looks like it has the rear wheels option.. it does have the front handle to lift / tilt it back onto the wheels and roll it around.. These saws are heavy.. I believe the shipping weight of mine was 130lbs Having the wheels option is a big plus if you want to move it around. I don't remember what the option cost but guessing at least $60 - 80.. At times I wish I had the wheels.

Thank you for that information.  I never even noticed that about the wheels, that would be a huge plus for me since I am such a weakling!:)

2 hours ago, Rolf said:

Rolf, thank you....Looking at the table top, does that look okay to you and also does that top look very used to you?  thanks again

2 hours ago, MarieC said:

Question to @kmmcrafts @Rolf @DRugerH... I own a 2017 Subaru Outback, would I be able to transport this saw in that?  Should I take the saw off the stand to transport it?  Thank you!

I can speak from experience. When I bought my 226 Ultra, I was driving a big Buick Enclave and with the legs on it, it just barely fit in the back compartment. I'd suggest taking the legs off the saw. If I recall, the bolts are all 7/16" hex. 

Yeah I'd probably plan to take the legs off. I can get some measurements from my saw if you like.. I would think with the seats down in the back of your outback would give you enough length to fit it in assembled.. If you try without taking it apart I'd take some old blankets or pillows or something to help protect the saw should it slide or move in case of a need for hard stop is needed. Or if you have some straps or tie downs of some sort in the outback.. I can't remember if they have the tie down spots on those.. Been a while since I've been in one of those.   

4 hours ago, MarieC said:

Rolf, thank you....Looking at the table top, does that look okay to you and also does that top look very used to you?  thanks again

The saw looks great! as far as transporting it. I used to take mine to our annual woodworking show in my Jeep Grand Cherokee, Not sure how it would fit in the Outback. I put Cardboard on the floor of the Jeep with it hanginout the back a bit lean the saw on it lift the legs and slide it in.  But it is a bit more manageable to remove the legs and transport it that way. 

Since Kevin mentioned the wheels, I took another look at the pictures. The wheels were an option along with the handle up front.  It makes moving it around the shop a lot easier.  It is still heavy. 

The handle is also useful for another reason. I clip a plastic bag to it with clothespins and drop my cut offs in it.

Hawk with stool.jpg

Edited by Rolf

19 hours ago, Scrappile said:

In my opinion not what it is maybe worth.. But I do not know Hawks.

@OCtoolguy That didn't come out quite right, $275 is less than what it is probably worth. Sounds like a good deal.   If I had seen I would probably figured out a way to get it.  

6 hours ago, Rolf said:

The handle is also useful for another reason. I clip a plastic bag to it with clothespins and drop my cut offs in it.

Hawk with stool.jpg

Rolf, thank you for all your help and suggestions.   It is about an 8hr drive from our house but we are planning to meet friends for Christmas and they live 2hrs from where the Saw is located...so now I need to figure out how I can fanegal(sp?) A way to drive those extra 2 hours and back...and bake an apple pie before the Christmas eve party 🙃

21 minutes ago, MarieC said:

Rolf, thank you for all your help and suggestions.   It is about an 8hr drive from our house but we are planning to meet friends for Christmas and they live 2hrs from where the Saw is located...so now I need to figure out how I can fanegal(sp?) A way to drive those extra 2 hours and back...and bake an apple pie before the Christmas eve party 🙃

If it was me I'd probably strap the pie to the engine in your car and bake it on the way... 😂 You may not want to eat it but there is more importanter things to do..

I really hope you're able to get the saw.. seems like a really nice deal to me so hopefully you'll figure it all out..

This meant as encouragement to get the saw

What a nice intarsia project for the new hawk., an apple pie.  Full size not those small ones from Wal-Mart.

Ok maybe a scrollsaw MarieC Bobble head as a pie topper ornament.

Looking forward for the pictures.

Edited by preprius

On 12/18/2023 at 7:21 PM, kmmcrafts said:

If it was me I'd probably strap the pie to the engine in your car and bake it on the way... 😂 You may not want to eat it but there is more importanter things to do..

I really hope you're able to get the saw.. seems like a really nice deal to me so hopefully you'll figure it all out..

Lookie what I got myself for Christmas @rjweb @OCtoolguy @Scrappile @Rolf @DRugerH @preprius!  And I was still able to make the apple pie and go to the Christmas party!  It runs beautifully, the table top is almost new and the plastic protective was still on some parts of it. Not too bad for $275 :)

20231226_164146.thumb.jpg.b2283f13420815f9814bfc5261efa313.jpg

20231226_164412.thumb.jpg.72a34ab50e756ecfa35c2b6fe95f394d.jpg

pie.thumb.jpg.e441e68a4d6cc804fcaf320fc26aae13.jpg

20231226_164047.jpg

Edited by MarieC