GUINEVERE

No, but I have been looking at them and other sanding systems but am nowhere close to pulling the trigger.  

I compare those to the Foredom flex shaft sanders and its clones.  Both allow sanding/grinding/cutting tools at the end of a flexible shaft.  The advantage for the Guinivere is the inflatable sanding thingies.  I wonder if you could get those and put them on another flex shaft sander.  The advantage for the Foredom is that the motor hangs up out of the way and does not take up benchtop space.  

And both are a big step up from the Dremel style rotaty tools.  

I will be following this thread to see what others have to say.  

I purchased this just before Christmas.  https://www.vevor.ca/flex-shaft-c_11126/vevor-hanging-flexshaft-mill-jewelry-tools-foot-switch-6-5mm-780w-no-leakage110v-p_010553045782.  I haven't had a chance to set it up yet. 

For Christmas I received this. https://store.workshopsupply.com/catalogue/flex-drum-sander-kit-p-4539.html.  I had to purchase the bench grinder.  I am now building a flip top cart to attach the bench grinder on one side and the belt sander on the other.  (you can see the build in Other Woodworks forum)

I will probably add a post to mount the flexshaft tool from on the side of the cart.

They make a quality product with a lot if options.  I ended up getting a Foredom flex shaft that I use for Intarsia and other projects.  I find the smaller bits work well on Intarsia.  For bowl type projects, the Guinevere system is good.

As a note, these systems throw a LOT of dust in the air.

I have one very similar to what @barb.j.enders purchased.  The main thing I don't like about it is the speed, on mine, is controlled with a foot pedal.  I would like to have one has s dial speed control so you could set at the speed you want and it will stay there.  Thing I don't like about the Guinevere is it is not speed adjustable.  I do not understand why they do not make an adjustable speed one.  I know you need high speed for polishing, but sanding small pieces for intarsia,, too fast for me.

2 hours ago, Sycamore67 said:

As a note, these systems throw a LOT of dust in the air.

They do have some dust collection.

All of the rotary tools throw a lot of dust. If I am using mine for heavy sanding, I hold it near my dust collection, and that gets the bulk of it.

2 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Thing I don't like about the Guinevere is it is not speed adjustable. 

I, too, am concerned about the speed. I sent them a message this morning asking about the RPM. The Guinevere has been around for a long time. I don't think they had DC motors like we have today, and speed control for induction motors is a no-go. You can control the speed on universal motors, but you lose torque at slow speeds. Modern DC motors had full torque across the speed range. Now, if you could figure out how to hook the sanding accessories to a DC motor from a treadmill that would work well. I can build a speed control for one of these easily and cheap.

I have a Grizzly G9928 - Flex Shaft Grinder. It works, but all the accessories I have for it are Dremel.

King Arthur Tools is about five miles from my house. Maybe I should look at what they have if they have a storefront. The accessories look like they could be connected to anything with a suitable drill chuck.  If this is the case, then I could hook this up to my drill press, my Shopsmith, or a handheld drill.

We have one but I found it’s speed way to fast for me when I was wanting to use it for my Intarsia work in particular. I forget the speed and there is no way to slow it down. It was a purchase I regretted. However, I  believe hubby has used it for a variety of things. Unfortunately, it is presently packed up so I can’t tell you much else about it right now.

Edited by meflick
Typo

On 1/8/2024 at 6:38 AM, BadBob said:

Do you own one of these?

https://katools.com/guinevere/

I see many projects here that this could be used for.  Bowls and Intarsia for sure.

Yes, I think mine is the basic unit.  Bought it many moons ago when I had my shop in NC,   It is mounted on my rollaround bench sanding station along  with my bench belt/disc sander and  small ocilating sander.  I basicly use it with my sanding mops.  I have some large sculptuijg bits but rarely use them.  I don't have the sculpturing skills I would like to have in order to put them to good use.