Newsstand options

I just got a renewal notice and I'm having second thoughts about renewing. I like the magazine but there is just not enough new ideas to make it worth the cost. It would probably make me want to renew if they announced that they were going to make all the patterns available for download. That would be great.

16 hours ago, OCtoolguy said:

I just got a renewal notice and I'm having second thoughts about renewing. I like the magazine but there is just not enough new ideas to make it worth the cost. It would probably make me want to renew if they announced that they were going to make all the patterns available for download. That would be great.

My renewal doesn't run out until Sept 2025.  Hopefully it is still in production.

20 hours ago, Jim McDonald said:

Just saw an ad stating that SSW&C would not be on newsstands beginning with the summer issue.

Wish them all the luck publishing in today's market for magazines.

Jim, where did you see this ad? Was it in the magazine its self? @Rolf and @Denny Knappen I think you both do cutting for the magazine, do you know anything? 

I do know that it has been harder and harder to find the magazine on newsstands anywhere in my area. Lowes and Home Depot carry very few magazines any more. The only place locally that still carries many magazines is the one remaining big box book store we have in the area. 😔🙃

9 hours ago, Fab4 said:

This could possibly be the beginning of the end for this magazine
It made many scrollers happy throughout the years
All good things must come to an end...have to ask yourself
WHY IS THAT
Fab4

Yes, and bad things seem to last forever.

3 hours ago, meflick said:

Jim, where did you see this ad? Was it in the magazine its self? @Rolf and @Denny Knappen I think you both do cutting for the magazine, do you know anything? 

I do know that it has been harder and harder to find the magazine on newsstands anywhere in my area. Lowes and Home Depot carry very few magazines any more. The only place locally that still carries many magazines is the one remaining big box book store we have in the area. 😔🙃

Page 9 of the Spring issue.

My subscription runs until Summer 25. I think the subscriber base is probably strong enough, but there HAD to be a ton of reject coming from lack of newsstand sales.

20240121_135726.jpg

Thanks @Jim McDonald. I too subscribe but I had missed that when I scanned the magazine when it first came in and hadn’t really had a chance to look at in more depth yet. However, I might still have missed that.  I do hope the subscription base is strong enough. I will note that it was the newsstand copies though that I originally purchased that eventually led to my subscription.

I have not seen that. But thinking about it when was the last time you or myself for that matter, actually looked for a magazine rack when you went to Lowes, Home depot or any other store?

I am always in a hurry to find what I need to finish a project. 

As a test cutter I have cut many projects that would normally not have been on my to do list. And have been pleasantly surprised at the end. It has opened my eyes to a broader spectrum of projects.

For those of you that don't find any interesting new projects have you ever sent them a note with things you would like to see?

The cost for a subscription is about what lunch out costs my wife and I, at least around here.

Edited by Rolf

51 minutes ago, Rolf said:

I have not seen that. But thinking about it when was the last time you or myself for that matter, actually looked for a magazine rack when you went to Lowes, Home depot or any other store for that matter?

To lose the magazine would be a sad day! Not because I do test cutting for them but it is one of the few resources for folks that are not on the internet. .

For those of you that don't find any interesting new projects have you ever sent them a note with things you would like to see?

The cost for a subscription is about what lunch out costs my wife and I, at least around here.

Meijers in our area has a ton of Magazines up by the checkout registers, however I have never found a Woodshop magazine of any sort.  They are all mostly ladies or men's fashion magazine, gossip or food recipe type magazines.  

1 hour ago, Rolf said:

I have not seen that. But thinking about it when was the last time you or myself for that matter, actually looked for a magazine rack when you went to Lowes, Home depot or any other store for that matter?

To lose the magazine would be a sad day! Not because I do test cutting for them but it is one of the few resources for folks that are not on the internet. .

When I still was getting magazines which I have totally stopped getting all magazines, yes I did. I on a few occasions  sent Scrollsaw Woodworking and Crafts a letter. Back then that was what we used not emails. I told them their projects are just too beginner oriented and which they were and still are. There was no imagination to take to next level. No offense with your testing and all that but scrollsawing has become so generic.  just like with the many woodworking magazines I use to get they all relied on advertising for new tools and the testing of tools which they all test the same tools and just varied their results. They are geared to the beginner scrollsawer and simple patterns because it takes alot more explanation and photos to show more advanced projects which requires more room in the magazine. They are limited of the pages to print. I find it no surprise they are shutting down. The same with newspapers. So many new ways to get info. Plus people are tired of reading about the new tools which probably are not new just redefined. Stop and think what are some new ideas that hit the scrolling world? I can not think of any other than maybe say the 3D stacking of layers to form projects. To get back to that question, the answers were they always geared to beginners. Think about what scrollsawing is, cut holes in wood in shape of pictures. yes that is the basic idea and sounds generic but think about it. Now you got lasers more so today than ever before doing what we did with the saws. One of the reasons I moved away from scrollsawing and turned to the lathe. I can challenge my mind more than what I do with a scrollsaw. I loved my journey and there was a time and place but it has become a fad and the newer generation do not appreciate things that are hand made much any more because they can buy them from china for cheaper money. I go back to the Robert Becker days and we worked together along with John Nelson in putting new patterns and ideas in the magazine. We lost so many great designers and pattern makers over the years and there have not been many new replacements. That means alot. Just an opinion. 

One other thing I wrote to them about was showing galleries. People like to see what others are doing and that is how the field is expanded. At one time they did not have enough reader projects shown. This is how I get ideas by looking at others work and using it to expand my ideas. Have all my life. This is what people come to forums for. Only so many times you can talk about broken saws and how to fix. Not everyone is mechanically inclined to do this.  

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

John T, do you consider Charles Hand and Fiona's designs beginner? or Judy Gale Roberts and Jannett Square's Intarsia work?.  I have cut ALOT of John Nelsons designs, many for the magazine as a test cutter. Sadly they are all ,for the most part, sitting in boxes in my basement. The generation that loved frilly work like that is for most part gone.

I think long time scrollers like yourself and myself don't find many projects "challenging" anymore. We are comfortable with our tools and skills that is one reason I get away from my saw now and the to do some turning or wrenching on my 54 year old Brit sports car. Owned since 1972.

Personally I mostly do projects that light my fire and I am also designing my own projects on occasion. 

I belong to a club with lots of new members and the magazine has a perfect mix for all levels. Three of us in the club do test cutting for FC. Most are fast fun cuts, 

To be honest with you Rolf I do not get the magazines for a long time so do not even know who or what is being included in them. I am familar with Judy Gale's work. I am not into intarsia and never was. You have to admit there were alot more pure designers out there years ago and I can list a bunch but not fair because we always leave some out. Not my point. Yes over time we become better at scrolling and that is a good thing and the challenges are few and far between for what the basic idea of what it is. Where we challenge ourselves or at least I do is thinking of projects that are useful and can be handy in today's world. I have a creative mind and always have, so my challenges can be tougher and I look at simple projects a waste of time and thus why should I spend money on a magazine that does not interest me any more. There was a time I use to get over 20 magazines wood related at a time. But for the same reasons one became boring they all did. Magazines just compete with each other. You had more scrolling magazines or magazines that carried scrolling projects in them such as Wood magazine but that too just got redundant.

Now do not get me wrong here I still love scrolling and always will. It is what I grew up with for over 35 years. But it does not light my fire any more. I spent many years on the selling circuit trying to sell my products which I spent long hard hours doing and yes again there were the better years when I started and wish each new scroller could have lived through those times. They have no idea what the craze was. Not so much today and if you are selling you better have something that people gravitate to because it is a hard sell.

I test cut for John Nelson also( that flexible watch design of his was my cutting and probably his biggest design project he was proud of)  and I use to cut for Steebar Corp. Many of the patterns and deigns are mine in his catalog. now that all changed hands so not sure what is still left but again time of a different era. Now my interest or fire is at a lathe doing small projects like pens. I can make and sell pens for far more money than I could have with any scrolling project I ever made if I want to, easily hands down. But being in my later years on the back nine, money is not my goal in the least. I give more pens away than I sell. 

My point to all this you asked a question about writing into the magazines and voicing opinions. Yes I have. Will magazine stick around, maybe but just like newspapers, not needed any more. So many new ways to get info and so many new ways to advertise. With the big push of Enviromental issues and cutting of trees and things of this nature is another reason you see these items disappearing. 

My Walmart usually has the book..  If there is something of interest I will buy it.

Rolf, when the pattern is in the fold out do they send the pattern to you on the broadsheet or just the individual pattern.  It is a real pain to copy the pattern especially if It is an Intarsia project that goes over the fold.

I may give them a better evaluation if you had to copy like the buyer.

Edited by don in brooklin on

1 hour ago, don in brooklin on said:

My Walmart usually has the book..  If there is something of interest I will buy it.

Rolf, when the pattern is in the fold out do they send the pattern to you on the broadsheet or just the individual pattern.  It is a real pain to copy the pattern especially if It is an Intarsia project that goes over the fold.

I may give them a better evaluation if you had to copy like the buyer.

Don, for the test cutting they send me an electronic copy of the project along with how they want it finished. Sometimes, if necessary, I make minor corrections to the pattern.  I do the test cuts months in advance long before they are printed.  I include a write up of my process, blades etc. But most times they go with what the designer suggests. 

After they are photographed they send me a copy of the article for proofing then send them back to me.   

For anything else in the magazine I scan and print what I need. I did buy all of the CD's that they have released. so I have all the electronic patterns from them also.

Edited by Rolf

16 hours ago, Rolf said:

Don, for the test cutting they send me an electronic copy of the project along with how they want it finished. Sometimes, if necessary, I make minor corrections to the pattern.  I do the test cuts months in advance long before they are printed.  I include a write up of my process, blades etc. But most times they go with what the designer suggests. 

After they are photographed they send me a copy of the article for proofing then send them back to me.   

For anything else in the magazine I scan and print what I need. I did buy all of the CD's that they have released. so I have all the electronic patterns from them also.

Interesting - one of the big complaints is the pull out section.  Wouldn't it be interesting if they produced the magazine but with links to the electronic copy listed instead of the pull out section.  Just a thought.

I have an independent book store a couple of blocks from me.  They carry a number of wood magazines including SSWC.  I have also had them order in books from FC so I don't have to pay the shipping costs.

Ye

5 hours ago, barb.j.enders said:

Interesting - one of the big complaints is the pull out section.  Wouldn't it be interesting if they produced the magazine but with links to the electronic copy listed instead of the pull out section.  Just a thought.

I have an independent book store a couple of blocks from me.  They carry a number of wood magazines including SSWC.  I have also had them order in books from FC so I don't have to pay the shipping costs.

I agree with the inconvenience the pull out section is for many. Scanning if not done carefully can create all sorts of issues as can not having your printer setting set correctly.

The following is my personal opinion regarding e-patterns and the magazine. I think the concern is that the sharing of patterns would impact sales. The majority of the folks on these forums play by the rules but it really ticks me off when someone says " just scan the image and trace it" .  That mindset hurts not only the Magazines but also the designers.

Of course I purchase the DVD of the magazines as soon as they are released, makes it easier to find specific patterns.

I posted an image of a very personal Intarsia piece that I designed , in very short time someone, I am being polite,  posted a picture of a copy they made of it.  They were subsequently kicked of the group. 

Edited by Rolf

This topic is brought up many times over the years and the most common issue with the magazine has always been the patterns on both sides of very large insert papers.. 

On one hand it's a shame to see it dwindling down a slow spiral of probably becoming extinct in the coming years.. On the other hand it's how management decides to manage and run it... There are many magazines that have went to online subscriptions.. 

As for stopping the theft of the patterns themselves that are in the magazines.. what's to stop people from scanning the images in and posting them on pinterest and other sites or scrollers sharing it amongst each other anyway? Yes the electronic form would make it slightly easier but is that stopping people from doing it? I'd say not really from my own observations.  I see this all the time on the FB groups.. a well managed site like we have here on the village that kind of activity is kept minimal. 

I see a grim future with all magazines just because of the internet.. They can choose to run themselves out of business or step up their game and give people what they want. T

I don't subscribe and haven't for years. I have a large stack of them from over the years and they've almost went to the trash a few times now.. I don't use hardly any of the patterns from them and the ones I do use I went to the designers site and paid for it again for the digital copy. I used to just like to read the stories in it when I first started sawing.. and getting ideas of projects etc from the others.. But one can come here or to the many FB groups and also get that in real time.. and interact with the people posting the photos of their projects etc.

At the end of the day if you want to see it continue you probably should subscribe and support them..  Seems like a lot of people like the magazine and don't want to see it go.. but many of those same people won't subscribe because of the pattern insert issues.. I never did buy it solely for the patterns.. They're just a bonus IF you can get a good scan of them. 

17 hours ago, Rolf said:

The following is my personal opinion regarding e-patterns and the magazine. I think the concern is that the sharing of patterns would impact sales. The majority of the folks on these forums play by the rules but it really ticks me off when someone says " just scan the image and trace it" .  That mindset hurts not only the Magazines but also the designers.

I agree with this mindset as well.  I have "shamed" people on other forums when they say that.  If I know of the designer, I will comment with that information and possibly with the link.

In all fairness to the magazine they have maintained a nice variety for all levels.  It is really beneficial to new scrollers that have not yet found their Scrolling "Happy" place.  I demonstrate scrolling for two days at our Woodworking clubs annual event.  At the scrollsaw tables we have our projects on display and for the last couple of years our members have each picked a pattern out of one magazine.  We have three test cutters in the club and hand out our extra copies for interested people.

Those of us that have been at it for a while hopefully know what we like to make.  Me, I am all over the place and need a challenging variety. 😲 

Edited by Rolf

Rolf the benefit I see with a magazine is the variety aspect of seeing different projects that show different styles of cutting and that is all. The seeing of projects done is basically eye candy. But seeing intarsia, fret cutting, compound cutting, stack cutting and things like that are what books and magazines can show and should show and teach along with breaking down of explanations of blades and tips for cutting. Add things like woods to cut, vacs setup to make cutting safer, other materials to cut and things that teach.   Seeing projects and plans is nice but to me there are vendors for that. Now you want to say it is their plans that get shown and they are basically advertising then that is a plus point on the signs of the magazine. But today what a magazine is eye candy. There are so many other ways to view plans, to watch utube videos and see with your eyes how to, when a magazine can not do that. It would take so many still photos. People do not read like they used to and do not write like they use. Today there is so many more ways to consume hard copies. Videos are a faster way to learn things. You notice who is still saying they like the magazines here, it is the older generation. I wonder what the youngest scroller we have here. I bet it is not under 40 years of age. Many of us older scrollers are set in our ways we grew up with consuming plans and seeing projects. I grew up with scrolling where we had scrollsaw picnics and gatherings and things were shared that way. That is not happening any more. Today 3d printing, laser cutting, CNC work is more the thing. Scrolling is an old timers hobby because it takes patients. Young generation does not have the time or patients and thus the written word is going by the waste side. Of all the years and it was many that I had gotten all kinds of woodworking magazines I probably got maybe 5 or 6 plans out of them for things I wanted to do. Now I got ideas from photos of things but buying magazines for plans to me you are wasting your money. I bought my plans from the vendors and supported them that way. To sum it up I see magazines follow in the way of the newspaper footprints and slowly disappear. 

29 minutes ago, BadBob said:

The patterns are the only reason I subscribe. I find the rest of their content to be a waste of paper.

That's why I no longer subscribe.. 😂 BUT back in the day when I first started scrolling they was interesting to me to see the projects and they did give me many ideas and inspiration.. Actually I'd probably still be subscribed but there was a few years that I was the sole income as the wife was having some health problems.. money was tight and I didn't think renewing it was a great idea.. when things got better a couple years later I pondered it but evaluated that I rarely used any patterns out of them and just didn't see it the same as I did back when I first subscribed. I would check them out in the magazine stands and now and then there was one I would buy which was like 4 of them in a 10 year span, LOL. which also confirms my thought that it's not worth the money to me.. I know it's great for many folks and hope it doesn't dwindle and close up. 

Back in the day my favorite one was the Creative Woodworks and Crafts one instead of the one that is still going today. It was a monthly one instead of quarterly too.. and about the same price. Unfortunately they closed up.