Portrait or wood art?

jerry walters

I make all my own frames.  I buy either preimum Pine or Poplar in 12" wide 6' or 8' long.  I rip the 12" boards to make 1 3/4" wide sticks, that I use as needed to make my frames.  I cut the sticks up into appropriate length rails for the sides and top/bottom.  I rabet the individual rails using my Router table and a rabeting bit to make a nominal 1/4" x 1/2" rabet.  This rabet is sized for my art panels that are 1/8" thick cut panel affixed to a 1/4" backer (or a nom 3/8" total thicknes).  I then cut my miters on a homemade mitering jig that I do not have to calculate the lengths.  Just need to set the stop for say; 11'' top and bottom  and then 14" for side rails to make an 11"x14" frame.  Glue up with a band clamp and add a V-nail in each miter joint.  Sand, finish with Stain, Paint, Lacquer  or whatever.  Install the panel loose using frame points (glazing points also work).  Add one small sawtooth hanger in the center in the top rail.  Wala...all framed and ready to hang and display. 

My definitions are: A Portait is any kind of art work that is framed (not just a people)  Plaques are usualy unframed with a thicker backer(if needed).   Your cuttingl could be done, and would look good, either way.  

PS, I don't like poster board for a backer.  It is too flimsy and wil deteriate in time.  A solid wood (ply) backer glued to the cut panel is much more long lasting.  Especialy, cut panels with many cut out areas become very weak and need a very rigid backer.

Edited by FrankEV

59 minutes ago, FrankEV said:

I make all my own frames.  I buy either preimum Pine or Poplar in 12" wide 6' or 8' long.  I rip the 12" boards to make 1 3/4" wide sticks, that I use as needed to make my frames.  I cut the sticks up into appropriate length rails for the sides and top/bottom.  I rabet the individual rails using my Router table and a rabeting bit to make a nominal 1/4" x 1/2" rabet.  This rabet is sized for my art panels that are 1/8" thick cut panel affixed to a 1/4" backer (or a nom 3/8" total thicknes).  I then cut my miters on a homemade mitering jig that I do not have to calculate the lengths.  Just need to set the stop for say; 11'' top and bottom  and then 14" for side rails to make an 11"x14" frame.  Glue up with a band clamp and add a V-nail in each miter joint.  Sand, finish with Stain, Paint, Lacquer  or whatever.  Install the panel loose using frame points (glazing points also work).  Add one small sawtooth hanger in the center in the top rail.  Wala...all framed and ready to hang and display. 

My definitions are: A Portait is any kind of art work that is framed (not just a people)  Plaques are usualy unframed with a thicker backer(if needed).   Your cuttingl could be done, and would look good, either way.  

PS, I don't like poster board for a backer.  It is too flimsy and wil deteriate in time.  A solid wood (ply) backer glued to the cut panel is much more long lasting.  Especialy, cut panels with many cut out areas become very weak and need a very rigid backer.

Thanks Frank.  I printed this for reference.  Soon as it gets warmer I am going to try my luck at making frames.  How thick a board to you use.  Like I said the frame I bought wasn't thick enough for a backer.  The poster board is not glued to the back of the picture.  I did that on purpose with the hopes of making a frame.  I learn a lot from you.

Jerry