Zebra pair

Jane Hiatt

3 minutes ago, Jane Hiatt said:

This was a special order from a man whose father and step-mother claimed the zebra as their spirit animal of sorts.  Both of these people died and the man that ordered it wants to memorialize his dad and step-mom.

zebras on wall.jpg

close up zebras.jpg

cut into inch and a quarter thick maple burl slab.  Cut with Flying Dutchman and Olson blades on my 21" Seyco.

I've been working with mostly" maple burl" since about 1985.  A little difficult but not because of the grain, I found.  Just going through blades and being sure to cut so that the finished cut looks the same on the back.  One of my problems with the burls is that the points that held the bark intact, are very, very pointed and sharp.  The slabs sand to a beautiful finish.  I use mostly 1/16" drill bits but have a big supply of very small bits.  ie. #58, 60, 65.  I do have a problem with bits that don't have a long enough shank to go all the way through the thick slabs.  I found some very, very small aircraft bits, as they are called, but they have such a long, vulnerable shank that they break very easily.  I've been known to shorten that shank (shush, don't tell the manufacturer) so that it works for me.  Thank you so much for all your kind compliments.

Jane

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2024 at 9:13 PM, Hawk said:

Very Nice, excellent wood choice, what kind of wood is that. I'm positive they will cherish it! 

Almost everything I do nowadays is on slabs of Maple burls.  No real grain, so I can pretty much go where I want with the blade.  I've decided through experience that anything thicker than an inch and a quarter or inch and a half is just too thick for me.

I really like this project. The work is done very nicely and the wood is outstanding. It is a real eye catcher. 

I have been off line, most of the time lately and this is the first time I have seen you here. So a belated "Welcome to the Village." I hope you are enjoying it here as I have for many years. Glad you are part of our family.

Dick

heppnerguy