Dust Collection - Not so much!

I don't think any dust collection system will get all  of the dust.  I  have a small box under the lower blade clamp that gets most of what makes it past the bottom vacuum on my saw.  I still haven't figured out how to get the dust from between the wood and the table.  The DeWalt doesn't have holes to let it out, so it just rolls around under there till I sweep it up.

Tom

I was never impressed with the scrollnado.   My dust collection system and others (Rolf, OCtoolguy) who have built similar ones do much better.  I do not have any dust in my legs.  

Can you show where your dust collection pickups are. 

This is mine and has larger pipes and pickups.  I am using a Festool vacuum.

2013_02_05_Scroll_Dust3FM(Small).thumb.JPG.cb7aabf170f95744f5f95b5ccb536736.JPG

1 hour ago, Sycamore67 said:

I was never impressed with the scrollnado.   My dust collection system and others (Rolf, OCtoolguy) who have built similar ones do much better.  I do not have any dust in my legs.  

I will get a picture later and post.  I am surprised at how large the hoses are.

On my Excalibur I have the Seyco scroll saw dust extractor.. It works really well for the dust underneath the saw, however the dust from the top lands onto the table top and as I spin the wood around I end up pushing some of it off the table and onto my lap just like you show here. Almost nothing goes to the floor..

The best set-up I've had so far was just using the dust port on the saw with my big loud shop vac. but the drawback from that is the noise, and the suction is strong enough to hold my board down to the table top.. which doesn't bother me too much so long as I keep the table top wax and very very slick. The only dust that escapes is what the dust blower blows to the side which lands onto the vac hose that is connected to the dust port. Often thought about going back to that set up with a T into the vac hose somewhere so it could have a suction hose off to the side so catch that dust that the blower blows to the side. I would want a much quieter vac though.. and not sure if the suction on a quieter one would be the same or as efficient. 

Due to the loud vac, I just continue to use the Seyco system as it seems to be a happy middle ground, at least until I can get more business and have some extra cash to buy a quieter vac. or find a good used one on Marketplace. 

Barb, I have 2 Ex type saws sitting on homemade stands. I made 3 sided "boxes" or trays out of 1/8" BB that slide in and under the saws. The dust falling from the cutting edge of the blade where it passes through the table ALL falls down into those trays. I collect all the dust from the different hardwoods and keep it in labelled pill bottles. I have dust collection on both saws but find that just letting the dust fall into the trays seems to work for the problem mentioned.

15 hours ago, OCtoolguy said:

Barb, I have 2 Ex type saws sitting on homemade stands. I made 3 sided "boxes" or trays out of 1/8" BB that slide in and under the saws. The dust falling from the cutting edge of the blade where it passes through the table ALL falls down into those trays. I collect all the dust from the different hardwoods and keep it in labelled pill bottles. I have dust collection on both saws but find that just letting the dust fall into the trays seems to work for the problem mentioned.

Ray,  do you have a picture please?

On 3/14/2024 at 6:04 AM, Sycamore67 said:

Here is a short video of my dust collection system.

Barb,

I have the same system you have, so far so good and pleased with the Scrollnado.  Now, it is not as good as the dust collection system many of our scroller friends and family have.  They have built their own or have purchased upgraded systems.  A couple of things that may help you is the vacuum you are using.  Mine is a very cheap vacuum that I purchased at WalMart. Not very powerful but does OK.  The other thing, you may have done this, is that some of the small pieces were sucked up in the tubing plugging it up, so suction is reduced.  Result, sawdust falls to your cloths. What you have to do is a little maintenance.  Undo the tubing and blow out the pieces stuck in the tubing.  Sometimes just a good shake and the pieces will fall out. The main problem I have is the top tubing doesn't want to stay where I put it.  When that moves, doesn't pick up all the dust.  Sometimes the wood you are cutting creates sawdust that is kind of sticky and that is, I think the vacuum won't suck it up.  I do most of my cutting with hardwoods and noticed the system can pick up the sawdust from hardwoods much easier.  I have noticed the Scrollnado has a more difficult time with cedar and plywood.  One other thing I am thinking getting a more powerful vacuum.  Hopefully you understand what I'm saying.  Many of my friends tell me, "Jerry, you are always talking but never say anything.".  That said I close.  I like reading about your projects and comments.

Jerry

Just for the record, I bought the Scrollando system too and installed it on my Hawk.. I used the same vac (Metro 5000) as the Seyco system uses. I think personally the tubing size is restricting the flow but i might be wrong. Also the hoses for me was a bit on the short side but I am using it on a 26" Hawk so it is a big saw. Have issues with getting the darn suction hoses to stay where I want them etc too. 

I'm not 100% satisfied with it but at the same time I felt it is more designed for Dewalts and Ex saws.. I feel the same way about my Seyco system. I've burnt up the vacuum on my Seyco system once already.. but I suppose it's not engineered to be in a commercial type setting either, but one has to wonder.. would a $500+ Festool or Fein vacuum hold up to the commercial type use I was throwing at them small Metro vacs.. I saw enough that I was having to empty the Seyco canister once every 2 weeks and really could use a dust bag every couple days.. I've been taking the bag out of the vac and taking it outside to blow out the fine dust that escapes from the dust canister as the fine dust plugs up the air flow of the Seyco Metro Vac and it starts getting loud. 

I've not invested into anything new yet because I'm honestly sort of getting out of scrolling in a commercial type setting and have been working with the CNC and Laser.. CNC makes dust chips and will be connected to my dust collector soon.. Laser has built in exhaust that I hook to a port that blows outside similar to a dryer vent. 

34 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

Just for the record, I bought the Scrollando system too and installed it on my Hawk.. I used the same vac (Metro 5000) as the Seyco system uses.

I was using the Metro vac.  It seemed to get louder.  I cleaned the filters, as you have suggested.  I took out the sound meter app and both are very close in DB levels.  So I thought I would just use the one vac.  I also have a remote control for it now - WOW!  love that.  

If you're going to go to the small box like Ray suggested.. you could get one of those free expensive cardboard boxes they toss out at local stores.. or better yet.. order something small from Amazon that you've always wanted and then you get a dust box with your order. LOL That's what I did back in the day with my Dewalt.. I had a box that I cut a small bit out of the one side so it could snug fit and hold itself in place around the lower base portion of the saw. It caught a lot of my small project pieces too.  

3 minutes ago, jimmyG said:

I don't use any dust collection on my Dewalt 788.   I wear a mask and vacuum under the saw and on the floor when I'm finished.  I couldn't stand having a vacuum running for hours at a time.

I have mine set up to my foot switch for the saw... so when I step on the foot pedal to turn the saw on the vac comes on too..   

1 hour ago, kmmcrafts said:

I have mine set up to my foot switch for the saw... so when I step on the foot pedal to turn the saw on the vac comes on too..   

When I was using the metro vac, I had that hooked to the foot switch.  I now have a remote control and what a game changer.  I am using that because I haul the hose from one machine to the other and the vacuum is in a very awkward spot.