Different Dust Collection Contraption

This showed up on my FB page this morning.. I thought it was interesting set up.. I think it might work well for fine dust but I don't see how this would work for chips.. I see it getting plugged up with chips.. 

https://mullettools.com/products/mullet-boom-arm?fbclid=IwAR0lxHwegDTkpLSImNQdWxhcSu7dxCxsyKEDZdgPhWzdzm7jedLUI9deLts

I have seen their ads.  Your link takes us to the page for the pickup arm.  They also show it connected to a cyclone style dust separator.  They are expensive but a way to get the dust pickup where you need it.  

It probably is an overkill for a scroll saw but might be good for the lathe and other woodworking tools.  You just have to connect it to a vacuum cleaner with sufficient power.   

I  bought this about 2 months ago. I have yet to set it up. But my thoughts I will use this in conjunction with my dust collector on my lathe for now. I plan on making some billiardball trinket boxes and the dust from them is pretty intense so I figured I will add my shop vac with this arm in a different direction to capture the dust. The arm is articulating enough and small enough to get in a position under the turnings as opposed to my dust collector hose and port. I also thought it maybe something I could use on the top side of my tablesaw. Yes I have my dust collector hooked to the bottom of the saw but many times what happens is when you use a zero degree throat plate the dust stays on top mostly as opposed to all be sucked downward. That I can tap off my dust collector hose. These are my intensions. It is a dust collector and not a chip collector. It will collect chip if used as a vac hose where you need to be real close to them Just like any dust collector. That is why they are called dust collectors and not chip collectors. 

Now setting up for scrollsaw I have no idea but could imagine it would work depending on the power of your shop vac or dust collector. I never used any vac system on my scrollsaws in all the years I scrolled and I scrolled alot. I just used a good dust mask  and cleaned the area after each session of scrolling. I have an overhead air cleaner that did a great job and still does of cleaning air in the shop. I ran that because the noise is nothing compared to listening to a shop vac for hours in the shop and besides, shop vacs are not  built to run for hours at a time. Running hoses to my dust collector would just be a waste of time in my eyes because how small you have to choke the hoses down and that defeats the efficiency of any dust collector. These are my thoughts on this topic. 

2 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

I  bought this about 2 months ago. I have yet to set it up. But my thoughts I will use this in conjunction with my dust collector on my lathe for now. I plan on making some billiardball trinket boxes and the dust from them is pretty intense so I figured I will add my shop vac with this arm in a different direction to capture the dust.

Let us know what you think of it.  I am looking for something for dust collection for my lathe right now as well.  Marie 

1 hour ago, MarieC said:

Let us know what you think of it.  I am looking for something for dust collection for my lathe right now as well.  Marie 

Well I can tell you right now that the best dust collection at a lathe is a good dust collector system. This is not that. This is a supplement of for using a true dust collector. It is designed for use with a shop vac. The photo where they hook to a dust collector is pretty but because you are choking down the size of the hose the efficiency is so pinpoint it is not worth it in my opinion. As I said my objective is to be more pinpoint because of the dust I will produce when turning those billiardballs. Even when I try it on my tablesaw I do not expect much because again I have to focus right over the blade. My dust collection on my lathe is a 8" hood with a 4" hose hooked to it and works well but dust gets pulled toward it. It is a bigger hood so captures more dust as this is a small hood to match the CFMs of the shop vacs.

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

This has been a helpful discussion.  What I now understand is that this is a repositionable hood mounted on 1.5" PVC.  When connected to a properly designed dust/chip collection system, it can work well.  Their website says "Build out your setup to fit your needs".  

The next question is, what is the right vacuum for this size hood and PVC line?  And this will differ if one includes a chip separator.  

Can anyone point me to a tutorial on how to determine the right vacuum for such a setup?

I have a central DC Jet Vortex DC 1100 VX with canister filter. It is connected to a 4" network to all of my Machines. I do have a couple of 2" drops for small cleanup. Those drops are not nearly as effective/efficient as a regular High velocity SHOP VAC.  For every turn, bend or drop you lose a percentage of flow.  This system should be connected to a shop vac not a DC.  Probably OK for sanding dust. I don't see it working very well for normal turning with bigger chips flying.

Edited by Rolf

Rolf is correct. This is made to fit on shop vacs and not dust collectors. I do have some 2" hoses set up like Rolf from my large dust collector but they go to my spindle sander and one of my portable sanders. Those do not collect chips, they collect dust only. That is why we can get away with it. If you scroll through the photos that are embedded in that original link, you will see what the intensions are of this tool and you will see how it was intended to be used. The shop vac just needs to be a fairly powerful one like the Ridgid units. The size does not matter. they  show more of the pieces you can buy to compliment this articulating arm. As I said if you have a decent dust collector system (dust collector is different than shop vac system) then branching off it like they show will work but limited. They are not designed for small hoses like that. A shop vac is. 

All your questions are answered in that OP link. Just need to keep scrolling and following the questions asked and answers given and within them there are additional links to click on. You can see videos of it in action and all. It is pricey, but some woodworkers that I trust have given their approval on it so it does work. These have been sold at woodworking shows for awhile now. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN