What does everyone think of this used saw? For $65. Ad says "Delta variable speed 16” scroll works great extra blades included"... I have already asked if it takes both pinned and straight blades. How old it is and if there are any other issues I should k

Would you buy this as a newbie for $65? For sale on FB market place near me for $65. Ad says "Delta variable speed 16” scroll works great extra blades included"... The guy said that his Father game it to him last year and he doesn't know much about it. However he said that he did start it up and used it and it worked fine. I looked at his profile and he seems like a decent person and also a craftsman with a decent looking shop. What do you guys think? Anything else I should ask him?

scroll saw.jpg

I've copied here my reply to your post in introductions. 

That's a Delta 40-540 and if the top Quickset blade clamp is complete and works as it should, then it's a great machine, built like a tank, will just sit on a bench, purring away all day long and not move, I've even had it sat on a workmate portable bench doing demonstrations at craft fairs. I've been using its brother the 2 speed 40-560 type2 (which I bought brand new) since 1995 and it's still going strong. I also have 2 540's and another 560, (they are identical machines except for the electrics, 2 speed v's variable speed,) which I've picked up over the years. I agree, parts are like hens teeth, especially the top clamp, (that's why I'm always on the lookout for cheap machines as spares, but so far I never had to rob one). So I would say go have a look at it, try it out and if it cuts wood buy it, (I would snatch it up). 

The tool is only used on the bottom clamp, usually only when the blade needs changing, and I can't see why it would drive anyone nuts. The top clamp you only need to flick 2 levers when going to a new hole, which can be done in under 15 seconds, that is, switch the machine off, release tension, release blade clamp, take blade out of cut hole, insert into new hole, close top blade clamp, reapply tension and switch machine back on. As for spares,the only thing I have found that cannot be replaced is the Quickset top clamp, anything else could be made or found from engineering suppliers. 

25 minutes ago, glenwood said:

The tool is only used on the bottom clamp, usually only when the blade needs changing, and I can't see why it would drive anyone nuts. The top clamp you only need to flick 2 levers when going to a new hole, which can be done in under 15 seconds, that is, switch the machine off, release tension, release blade clamp, take blade out of cut hole, insert into new hole, close top blade clamp, reapply tension and switch machine back on. As for spares,the only thing I have found that cannot be replaced is the Quickset top clamp, anything else could be made or found from engineering suppliers. 

I personally do not like a tool to change a blade. I had a problem with my Hegner saw because you needed a wrench to change a blade too but at least you could take the clamp off the saw and work on it at eye level. You have to be a contortionist to use that wrench under a saw and the older you get the harder it is to do that. Again my opinion. And that is why it drives me NUTS. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

1 hour ago, glenwood said:

Well, after nearly 30 years of using mine I can use the tool under the table without looking. 

Extremely happy for you. You grew up with that saw. The question was is this a good saw. Yes a good saw but with flaws. if you go back when those saws came out the biggest criticism was that tool. There are so many other better saws on the market. May have to step up a little in price but they are available because people get out of the hobby for one reason or other. just letting the OP know there are flaws because they asked. 

My 2 cents worth. If you are in need of a machine and this one works as stated, for that price, you almost can't go wrong. But, with that said, be on the look out for a better machine in the future. Have you checked around to see what else is out there? Not knowing where you are located, we can't suggest anything. In my area, there are some great saws at very reasonable prices. Best of luck in whatever you choose to do.

23 hours ago, OCtoolguy said:

My 2 cents worth. If you are in need of a machine and this one works as stated, for that price, you almost can't go wrong. But, with that said, be on the look out for a better machine in the future. Have you checked around to see what else is out there? Not knowing where you are located, we can't suggest anything. In my area, there are some great saws at very reasonable prices. Best of luck in whatever you choose to do.

Thank you! I live in Cumming Ga.

I've used that saws 2 speed varient for 20+ years (recently got a Hegner, so the 2 speed is now a back up or show saw).

These are great saws if the bearings are good. The blade clamping system takes a little getting used to but I prefer it over every other clamping system I have ever used, and that includes the Hegner,

For fretwork, using the same size blade, the clamp can't be beat. Seconds to change holes, literally seconds; and zero blade slippage, and that's without have to do anything to the blades.

The blade clamping system one real weak point is changing blade size, there is some crossover for sizes but if you're switching from a #1 to a #9 you'll have to adjust the upper clamp.

The two speed variant is the saw I learned to scroll on. And I used that saw for quite a few years.. Still have it but don't use it. It was my fathers first "new" saw he bought and I was only like 14 years old and went with him to get it. He wore it out two times and rebuilt it and the third time he went and bought the variable speed version. He hung onto the 2 speed one for a long time and one day I asked if he still had it and if I could take it to try  my hand at scrolling. He told me it worked but the bearings where bad and didn't saw quite right. Brought it home and tried cutting a 2x4 in half and said to myself that thing was slower than a handsaw and I throw it under the workbench and not to be used for several years. LOL My father had passed on before he got to actually see me get into the scrolling and I rebuilt the saw the 4th time. That was when parts were hard to source but I did find everything I needed NOS.  

3 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

The two speed variant is the saw I learned to scroll on. And I used that saw for quite a few years.. Still have it but don't use it. It was my fathers first "new" saw he bought and I was only like 14 years old and went with him to get it. He wore it out two times and rebuilt it and the third time he went and bought the variable speed version. He hung onto the 2 speed one for a long time and one day I asked if he still had it and if I could take it to try  my hand at scrolling. He told me it worked but the bearings where bad and didn't saw quite right. Brought it home and tried cutting a 2x4 in half and said to myself that thing was slower than a handsaw and I throw it under the workbench and not to be used for several years. LOL My father had passed on before he got to actually see me get into the scrolling and I rebuilt the saw the 4th time. That was when parts were hard to source but I did find everything I needed NOS.  

Sometimes a boat anchor is just that a boat anchor and it is best to move on. I started on a Dremel pin end 2 speed saw and quickly realized if I wanted to take this hobby serious and enjoy it that was not the saw for me. I really do not remember what I did with that saw. probably gave to my brother and he got rid of it. Knowing him he probably sold it for more than what it was worth. Today there really is no reason to settle for lower quality saws. There are so many saws showing up on these market places that if you wait it out you can find something better. I sold my Dewalt 788 a couple summers ago for $250 Type #1 and my Hegner for $450. both very good condition and am sure will give the new owners lots of quality sawing time. 

Yeah but for a person on a tight budget these saws do still work well.. are they a Hawk or Hegner? no far from it.. I've not seen too many DW 788's around for $65 either so there is that.. I guess it's just me but at one time I didn't have money to spend on higher end stuff and that feebee 2 speed Delta made me a lot of money.. Not junk saws but not anything close to a Cadillac either.. IF I had the choice between the old Delta and a cheap Harbor Freight or one of those other really cheap entree level saws I would hands down choose the Delta.. provided it was in good working order. You can find them cheap at garage sales many times as good ones down to just parts machines. Everyone starts somewhere and that is how I started in the hobby / business.. 

In some ways I see them as a better more user friendly saw than a DW because the upper arm is spring loaded so it goes up out of the way on it's own. The quickset II blade chucks where the choice of blade chucks by many scrollers and they even had retrofit kits to put them on Hawks.. I believe Rolf has these clamps on his Hawk G4 actually.. I don't understand why people think the thumb screws are considered a good set up.. They've clearly never used a set of those Delta Quickset clamps..

I say, because I love spending other peoples money, buy it.. Sounds like it is a good entry level scroll saw. Looking at my local craigslist there are several Delta's for sale.. only one has a lesser asking price.  These seem to be pretty popular saws for their price range and age.. another thing to consider from what I have looked at.. if you buy it and it is a complete bust.. you could get your money back selling parts from it.

3 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Yeah but for a person on a tight budget these saws do still work well.. are they a Hawk or Hegner? no far from it.. I've not seen too many DW 788's around for $65 either so there is that.. I guess it's just me but at one time I didn't have money to spend on higher end stuff and that feebee 2 speed Delta made me a lot of money.. Not junk saws but not anything close to a Cadillac either.. IF I had the choice between the old Delta and a cheap Harbor Freight or one of those other really cheap entree level saws I would hands down choose the Delta.. provided it was in good working order. You can find them cheap at garage sales many times as good ones down to just parts machines. Everyone starts somewhere and that is how I started in the hobby / business.. 

In some ways I see them as a better more user friendly saw than a DW because the upper arm is spring loaded so it goes up out of the way on it's own. The quickset II blade chucks where the choice of blade chucks by many scrollers and they even had retrofit kits to put them on Hawks.. I believe Rolf has these clamps on his Hawk G4 actually.. I don't understand why people think the thumb screws are considered a good set up.. They've clearly never used a set of those Delta Quickset clamps..

Now Kevin did I say anywhere in there that the saw was not a good saw and it did not work? The OP asked if I would buy it or anyone else? That is what I based my answer on. I heard good things about Deltas clamps but if they were that good how come you do not see them on saws today??????????????? It is probably a good beginners saw if all works well. Put me in the catagory as the thumb screw clamps are great. 

On 4/18/2024 at 4:54 PM, Cassie W. said:

Would you buy this as a newbie for $65? For sale on FB market place near me for $65. Ad says "Delta variable speed 16” scroll works great extra blades included"... The guy said that his Father game it to him last year and he doesn't know much about it. However he said that he did start it up and used it and it worked fine. I looked at his profile and he seems like a decent person and also a craftsman with a decent looking shop. What do you guys think? Anything else I should ask him?

scroll saw.jpg

Here's one near me to use as an example. It appears to be complete, including the center plate.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/tls/d/carlsbad-delta-16-variable-speed-scroll/7733822180.html

There is a type 1 and type 2.. for the 2 speed model.  I don't know for 100% sure but all the type 1's I've seen didn't have the nice Quickset II blade chucks.. I think that is the only difference but as I said not 100% sure of that. So the type one you had to use a special wrench for the upper clamp. 

Just putting that out there if anyone was to seek out one of these old gems, LOL

Edited by kmmcrafts

4 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

There is a type 1 and type 2.. for the 2 speed model.  I don't know for 100% sure but all the type 1's I've seen didn't have the nice Quickset II blade chucks.. I think that is the only difference but as I said not 100% sure of that. So the type one you had to use a special wrench for the upper clamp. 

Just putting that out there if anyone was to seek out one of these old gems, LOL

It appears that the one that I showed has variable speed and the Quick Clamp.

1 hour ago, OCtoolguy said:

So, what was the outcome of this post? Did you buy it, pass it or what? A follow up is in order.

Octoolguy, She hasn't been back to the site since Sat afternoon, so she hasn't seen my post or any past it. Hopefully we haven't driven her away with the bickering. 😞