Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

I live in Canada and I purchased some 1/8 inch baltic birch a couple of weeks ago to saw out Christmas ornaments and other projects.  At the time of purchase I was told the store could not get any more Baltic Birch so I got some extra.   Initially the wood looked similar to past BB.  I have started sawing some ornaments now and noticed a few differences.   The sheets have no grade stamps or other markings on them.  The finished sheet seems to have a rougher surface texture.  When sawing ( I saw 3 layers ) , the wood seems softer and the sawn edge does not have the shiny polished finish that past BB has had.   Also the price has just about tripled since before Covid.  Some questions .  What has been the availability of BB in other parts of Canada and the US and price changes.  I have not put a finish on past ornaments but may put a finish on these so what would you use for a clear finish.  The sheets do have some patches which seem to be tight but I am wondering about the laminating glue holding up. If you have run into problems with BB what are they and what would you suggest as an alternate plywood.

 

Garry 

Posted

I noticed a drastic change in BB in the last 6 years. used to get good quality true Baltic birch, with all plies being birch, but now many of those places sell BB play with some substance not Baltic birch for inner plies and the outer ply is very thin and chips easy.

I stick with getting BB ply from ocooch hardwoods now. its less expensive for me to get it there than at the woodcraft store 8 miles from me.  and good quality ply

Posted

I am working on a batch of BB ply from The Wood Vault (formerly KJP Hardwoods). I am disappointed with the sheet I am working with right now.  Other sheets were great.  I had purchased 25 1/4" and 25 1/8" sheets last winter.  It is certainly better than the last batch I had purchased at Windsor Plywood. 

I live in Winnipeg.  

Posted

You don't say where you live in Canada and where you get your plywood.

I live in Brooklin Ontario and I get my plywood from Peacock Lumber in Oshawa.  I try and buy BB/BB but that is hard to come by as currently all they have is BB/CP which means the front is clean and there can be unlimited knots and patches on the back. 

I do group buys for the club and the last time I bought 3MM it was perfect but the 6 MM had a few patches on the back. I like to look over the sheet first and am picky.

You have to make sure it is coming from a sheet that is 5 x 8.

Peacocks is a great pace to deal with if you are in the area.  

PS: I have ordered before from the Wood Vault and I ordered the laser grade and it was pretty good but I had a few patches on the back.  Not an issue if using as a backer but you have to be aware if cutting ornaments.

 

 

 

Posted

Thank you for your replies.   I live in Prince Albert, Sask.  ,  Closest larger city is Saskatoon which is 1 1/2 hrs drive each way.  I am not familiar with other lumber yards there and if they carry BB.   The 1/8 inch BB that I use is purchased at Windsor Plywood and have dealt with them for over 25 years and have not had any issues, other lumber yards in the area do not carry it.   Don, did you mean to say 5 x 8  or 5x5 which is the normal size of BB sheet.  Sheets I purchased were 5x5.     Price on BB went from about $23 a sheet before Covid to $60+  and now back down to $50.  

 

Garry

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...